Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

2004 Winnebago Vectra WKS40AD any input?

We're just getting into motor homes and my wife and I are going to travel this fine nation to find where our next home will be.
Before I go any further rest assured I will have a R.V. dealer/service shop look any we may be interested in look it over before purchase.
Currently looking at a 2004 Winnebago Vectra with only 33000 miles. The motor home looks nice but I did notice a couple items I'm not sure about
1. when slide out is extended there is a mark left on the floor looks like where a roller might be. The mark will wipe up so I'm not sure how serious it may be.
2. on the ceiling some of the cloth? has pulled away from the edge there are no water spots and the owner says he had it in Florida each winter and the heat caused it. Sound right or not?

In general what can you tell me about this type of motor home?

Thanks
Willieg14

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #2

2004 Winnebago Vectra WKS40AD any input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieg14 View Post
We're just getting into motor homes and my wife and I are going to travel this fine nation to find where our next home will be.

Before I go any further rest assured I will have a R.V. dealer/service shop look any we may be interested in look it over before purchase.

Currently looking at a 2004 Winnebago Vectra with only 33000 miles. The motor home looks nice but I did notice a couple items I'm not sure about

1. when slide out is extended there is a mark left on the floor looks like where a roller might be. The mark will wipe up so I'm not sure how serious it may be.

2. on the ceiling some of the cloth? has pulled away from the edge there are no water spots and the owner says he had it in Florida each winter and the heat caused it. Sound right or not?

In general what can you tell me about this type of motor home?

Thanks

Willieg14

I believe that '04 was the first year for the "reborn" Vectra. It was a well built coach on a Freightliner chassis. I believe it has a Cummins ISL. Winnie is in love with rear radiators which I'm not a fan of and you should check the CCC of the coach.i believe it's a little light in cargo capacity.

If the roller mark is just a superficial scuff then just use a slide slicker at that location. I'm a little suspicious of the ceiling issue. I doubt that it's heat related. Invest is a good RV inspection.

Overall a good solid coach of the maintenance has been kept up.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Perhaps I can offer some insights. I have a 2005 Vectra and one of my best friends has a 2004 Itasca Horizon both essentially the same MH to yours.
You will find several threads on this site concerning the slide outs for this particular coach. Bedroom slide(s) have never been a problem, myself and others have experienced difficulties at times with the living room &galley slides. Both of us have the same issue of the fabric shrinking at the edges. My friend is currently workkamping in Las Cruces and his started there so I am inclined to believe it is from the heat.
We both love our respective coaches and other than normal issues have found them to be trouble free, or at least I did until two weeks ago when I experienced a engine failure, another story on another forum.
We have both had to replace the alternator around 50,000 miles so you might think ahead about that.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #4

WillieG14,
We've had our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and full body paint now for, just over 4 years. We purchased it with 40K on the clock and it now has 62K on it. As has been stated, the Itasca model Horizon, in that era, is virtually a sister ship to the one you're looking at. While I have had to do some repairs, mods, changes, etc., it's been an outstanding coach.

You're going to have repairs, possible alterations, changes etc. to just about any coach that you purchase used. You're going to make it YOURS. We got a chance to take the factory 8 person guided tour of the Winnebago factory last year at the Grand National Rally for WIT and, it was incredibly interesting to see up close, how things are done, built, assembled and, designed.

Without a doubt, you'll find possible issues when you take your first look at this coach, as you did. It's inevitable. About 99.99999% of those issues are easily remedied. Both my wife and I are not fond of, and will never own, a "carpeted" ceiling coach. We anticipate too many potential issues with that style ceiling. That's more or less, a preference thing.

For the most part, the fit and finish of a Winne is pretty darn good. Winne has had some issues with the "glued on" body components. As in, the generator cover, the rear grill, the headlight buckets, and a few other things. Winne and Itasca use a form of a glue or resin to bond those components to the steel mounting brackets so that there's no visible fasteners for any of those above mentioned items.

Those fixes, while some can be a pain, are not all that hard to deal with. There's lots of documented data on what folks have done here, with those situations. Not really a concern. If it happens, you fix it, period. As has been mentioned, your Vectra most likely will have a Freightliner Chassis and, quite possible the "Evolution" version chassis at that.

It's a newly designed chassis that has more than proven itself. It's a strong yet, flexible enough chassis that it provides with great stability yet, allows for a great ride. You'll find more than likely, HWH systems for both extending and retracting the slides and, extending and retracting the levelers (jacks). So far, I've been totally happy with HWH and, it's mechanisms for those operations.

That coach, unless it's been changed, should also come with what's called the "Dimensions 2000 Watt, Inverter/Charger" too. That unit, while it has had some bad wraps on here, is a pretty good, mostly dependable unit. It will supply about 95% of the outlets in the coach with 120VAC power if and when needed.

There's more but, I'll quit for now. I'll bet you find that's a great coach. If you have any questions, you can either PM me or, just post it and, many experienced Winne and Itasca Pilots will jump in and help you. Good luck and Happy RVing.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Winnebago Product Information | Motorhome & RV Information

Read the brochure. In 2004 they list the Cat engine as standard, as well as the NeWay front suspension, although I have never seen that configuration in the Vectra/Horizon. The 2004 Vectra/Horizon had an optional Cummins ISC 8.3, 350hp. In 2005 they upgraded to the Cummins ISL 8.9, 400hp. The IFS(independent front suspension) was only available with the Cummins engine, and that is the most desirable set-up.

A really great coach, the floorpan can't be beat! Plenty of c.c.c., I believe mine was over 4000#.

I have factory replacement windows PS bedroom and dining area for the 40ad if you need them.

Downsides:
1) Exhaust brake(not as effective as an engine brake)
2) Basement heat pump. These were standard on all Winnebagos 2000-2011?. Replacements no longer available. They can be serviced by most any residential hvac serviceman, although you have to remove the heavy unit and convince the tech he can do it!
3) Basement a/c marginal for a 40' with 3 slides and dark full-body paint. Needs additional rooftop air added for adequate capacity. Adding a roof air as an adjuct to basement air
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
...The IFS(independent front suspension) was only available with the Cummins engine, and that is the most desirable set-up....
In 2005 all of the Vectra/Horizon models had the IFS.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago