Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #1

Smile 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder issues

Want to upgrade headlights to something brighter plus there is some type of headlight switch problem...the lights will blink out and you tap the switch and they will come back on?? Also looking for a way to plug-in a small portable genset to run selected A/C items like the refer and lights without firing up the 10000 watt Onan unit. Any help would be great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like a bad switch.
As to the gen set, you could plug into the small gen but why? You won't save much if anything if it's gas driven. As I remember and 10 KW Onan is a variable speed so maybe the variation bothers you?
We have a 12.5 KW Onan and it's a single speed so the speed never varies, just the tone a little bit.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"theboss1".....First off, it sounds like your headlight switch is bad. They're typically an automotive switch out of something like a Chevy truck.

Many of the poor quality light issues come from undersized wiring, especially by Monaco. They ran the smallest wire they could. They causes the light to receive only 10 or 11 volts and makes for poor lighting.

Here is a link to a lighting expert. Read his article. I added relays to my Monaco and then heavier wiring from the relays to new ceramic bulb holders. He also recommended GE bulbs. After making the changes, pretty simple with his instructions, my lights were much better.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Daniel Stern also sells the stuff you need.

Lastly, my Monaco had fog lights lower down low. On mine they were oval. I found that Hella FF75 driving lights come in round and oval. The oval models were a direct fit. After getting them aimed correctly, they added a lot more lighting without blinding oncoming traffic. I was finally able to drive at night and not out drive my lights.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss1 View Post
Want to upgrade headlights to something brighter plus there is some type of headlight switch problem...the lights will blink out and you tap the switch and they will come back on?? Also looking for a way to plug-in a small portable genset to run selected A/C items like the refer and lights without firing up the 10000 watt Onan unit. Any help would be great.
Sounds like it may be two separate issues with your headlights. Beaver has a known brightness issue with headlights. There is an easy and cheap fix. You just add 2 small relays in the electric bay. I would suggest you join The Beaver Ambassador Club. WWW.beaveramb.com

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would assume you coach as an inverter, it would probably be more economic to let the inverter take care of the minor electrical components and when needed just start the generator to run heavier loads. My inverter has auto generator start that will sense when batteries get low and will recharge to a certain set point.

If that doesn't work for you an adapter can be used to plug in your shore cord. If you will try and run AC units off the smaller generator it would have to be a minimum of a 4kw just for 1 AC unit (depending on other loads).
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver