Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Does anyone know about 2005 Cummins rod failures outside of serial number recall
Yes 1 12.50%
More information 5 62.50%
Options as result 1 12.50%
Any recourse 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2017, 06:58 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I agree, we just bought a reman'd 330 HP Cat for our service truck from Caterpillar for $16K, with warranty.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
My guess is that the 14 seconds of no oil was the 14 seconds it took you to drive to the side of the road and turn off the engine. I don't believe you drove for 14 seconds with no oil and that caused the explosion. Engines can run several minutes without oil before they seize. A drop in oil pressure for 14 seconds doesn't cause a hole in your oil pan. You had a catastrophic failure in the engine and that caused the immediate drop in oil pressure. That is what I believe. Your insurance company should help with this event. The insurance company will tell you it is because you ran the engine without oil. An expert witness will tell you that is not the case. This makes me want to look at my insurance company to determine if something like this is covered in my policy. Sorry for your loss. We would rather have met you on the road and not on this forum.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #17

I was under the impression that the ECM would shut down the engine under certain conditions, low OP, high water temp etc., maybe not the case. Anyway I was stuck in Medford, OR back in '09 with a small fuel issue and while there I was to talking to a tech doing an "in-frame" overhaul on a '08 Monaco. Not sure of the model but it had a tag so 40+'. Anyway he said it blew because of "propane injection" and he was replacing liners, pistons, new head assembly in the frame. I agree with others that you might want to look around for a shop that specializes more on RV major repairs and also go to Cummins and see if you might get them to help. I wish you the best.
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow!! $40,000.00?? I would think a total rebuild would be about half of that cost.... I have the same engine in my HR Endeavor. If I had a repair bill like that, there is no way I could afford it. I would try some aggressive yet polite negotiation with Cummins. Can't hurt to try.... maybe they will help with part of the bill as an act of goodwill? I seem to remember another member on here getting part of his rebuild covered through Cummins.

So sorry you are going through this...good luck getting it sorted out and keep us informed. Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #19

Sad ending it look like

Well was just notified by the Cummins rep that they are not going to help us at all. They feel we need to let it go and just get a new motor and move on. Don't think we are going to do that. We will probably call a salvage yard and junk it. Absolutely been the worst experience in our life. Just wanted to thank everyone for all of the help and kind words. Hope everyone enjoys there Motorhomes and their ventures just look like it was not meant to be for us.
Dollfundeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #20

wow i am amazed that you got the service you did..less than two weeks with Christmas and new years which leaves what 5 working days and you had engine out inspected and the report,,wow/// what shop did you use cause i want to go there..or if at cummins shop which one??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollfundeb View Post
Happy New Year to everyone. Well we sort of got the findings back from Cummins today on our engine that blew up last month this is what they sent me. "PAN IS FULL OF METAL DEBRIS. INSTAPEDTED BLOACK AND FOUND #2 PISTON SKIRT SHATTERED AND LINER. LINER LEDGES ARE BROKEN. SIFTED THRU METAL IN PAN AND FOUND CLIPS FOR WRIST PIN. CHECKED WRIST PIN ON ROD AND STILL MOVES FREELY. CLEANED UP AREA AND LOWERED COACH. ADVISED SERVICE TEAM OF FINDINGS.” So I called them and they said it looks like the liner just shattered so I asked them if there was any evidence of scoring on parts of the liner and they said there wasn't a piece big enough to tell. I asked them about the connecting rod bearing and they said it was fine. My question is has anyone ever heard of this happening before. The repair bill is just over $40,000 so it looks like this was or first and last trip in our motor home
Just heartbroken and pocketbook broke. Deb
Old 01-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #21

I know this sounds like "tough love" but an engine failure, while significant, shouldn't put you in a position of having to giving up your dream of RVing. Rebuilding a modern gas engine would be bad enough but diesel engines are worse. Periodic fluid analysis and/or an extended service warranty should be in the conversation for any first-time buyer. Sorry to hear what happened to you--what a terrible way to end a dream....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Well was just notified by the Cummins rep that they are not going to help us at all. They feel we need to let it go and just get a new motor and move on. Don't think we are going to do that. We will probably call a salvage yard and junk it. Absolutely been the worst experience in our life. Just wanted to thank everyone for all of the help and kind words. Hope everyone enjoys there Motorhomes and their ventures just look like it was not meant to be for us.
I know your discouraged and it's so disappointing to experience this type of failure.

My $.02 is Before I just junked the RV, take a few weeks to let the smoke clear. You maybe able to find a take out ISL and have a independent shop exchange it. Used engine would not have to come out of a motor home a truck engine would be OK, any components like exhaust, can be swapped over.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #23

Quote:

I know you guys are completely devastated at this point. Please, before you give up completely, check out some options. I think you should be able to buy a good engine from a salvage operator like Colaw and install for less than half of that $40k. That's an insane figure. Then, at least, if you still want out, you should be In a better position than selling with a blown engine.

If this isn't a Cummins issue then a dealer or previous owner took advantage of you. I'm really so sorry.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with Steve 100%. Give it a few weeks if you can and look at a used engine and/or get the opinions and estimates at a few other shops.... I'll say it again, $40,000 is an outrageous price to rebuild an ISL engine. I know that it is more difficult for the shop to work on a diesel pusher with a rear engine as opposed to an engine that is easier to access, but it sounds to me that the shop is giving you an inflated estimate because they really don't want to do the job.... might be worth it to have it towed to another shop?
An internet search shows several used ISL engines for sale with low miles.... some with warranties. Again good luck. I know you are devastated but I know it will work out for you in the end! Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #25

This is such a sad story.

It epitomizes the dangers of buying a coach without some sort of warranty. More particularly, one equipped with a diesel engine that would cost $40,000 to replace.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #26

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about this 40k for a new engine?? Wow...way more than I would of expected. Any thoughts I had of going used just went out the window hearing about this...at least any coach without a warranty. Maybe wait a few weeks and let things settle like mentioned above and then re evaluate.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #27

an isl truck engine is same as MH. go to ADELMENS diesel engines and red top isl is 5500 or less
Old 01-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #28

ADELMANS . other engines will fit also.ISC or ISM

Tags
cummins