Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #1

2005 Monaco Executive lights

I have a 2005 Monaco Executive. The only headlight that illuminates is the driver side highbeam. I have no schematics. The light switch is on the dash. Cannot find any fuses for these lights. Does anyone have any insight on this issue. I swapped the bulbs from one side to the other and had the same issue.
1ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #2

The first place I would check is any connections up front in the wiring in the area around the generator. Next, I would check the bulb sockets.
Dave
Old 01-14-2020, 08:29 PM   #3

The sockets look good. The drivers side highbeam read 12v. The other three read 6,4,0 volts.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:45 PM   #4

Check any inline connectors. I worked on a friends holiday rambler that had a generator that wouldn't start from inside and the problem was a corroded connection in the area I described in my first response. I cleaned it up and it started right up. Possibly the same type of issue. My water pump got to where it would not kick off and it was due to a bad connection also. It checked 12 volts when not running but would drop way down under load.
Dave
Old 01-14-2020, 09:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a SmartWheel, the headlights are controlled by the headlight switch the high beam stalk, and the SmartWheel controller in the front run box.

I have the wiring diagram to a 2005 Signature that may be close enough.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
If you have a SmartWheel, the headlights are controlled by the headlight switch the high beam stalk, and the SmartWheel controller in the front run box.

I have the wiring diagram to a 2005 Signature that may be close enough.

Paul

I will check the smart wheel controller. That would be a big help if you could send your wiring schematic. I am sure the coaches are similar. 1ghostrider1955@gmail.com
Thank you
Old 01-15-2020, 07:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
There are labeled fuses on a board in the front run box. Hopefully your VIP smart wheel control does not have 2 burned connections on it...yet.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Do the turn signal and running lights work???

Do you know if your light have been modified, some people have added a relay and addition power supply where by the headlight switch will control the relay and then pickup the new power supply, this reduces voltage drop.

Another member had problems with his headlights and I spent hours pouring over the chassis schematic for my (he had the same coach) coach.

The schematic showed that the power for the headlight when through the light switch, through the VIP smart wheel controller, then to the high/low beam switch on the steering column.

The fact that your have power to 1 headlight tells me that the switch, controller and high/low beam are all good.

There is one connector for each headlight but somewhere upstream they are tied together. I'd start on the side that is good and work your way back until you find the split then work your way to the bad side.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:02 AM   #9

All the exterior lights operate. The headlights are the only issue. There is one bulb for the drivers side high/low beam and one bulb for the passenger high/ low beam. There are three wires red, black and green. The only light that illuminates is the d/s high beam.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #10

I cannot find any low beam fuses. I see the highbeam fuses. The smart wheel controller looks okay no burnt areas.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #11

Monaco did some playing around with their headlight control design in the '05, '06, '07 period. There are two relays on circuit board #8 in the front run box that are part of the headlight control system. One is K1 and the other is K2. They have some drawings that show that one of those relays is used for low beam and the other is for high beam. Other drawings show that there are no relays in the low beam circuit but the K1 and K2 relays are for high beam LEFT and RIGHT, respectively.

The first thing I would probably check would be to see if you have voltage on terminal pin #2 of connector J1 on board #8 and on pin #5 of connector J1 on board #8. On our coach (an '06 Dynasty, a close cousin to your coach), that is how it is configured. That would give you a hint as to whether one of those relays could be your problem.

On our coach, the low beam lights are controlled by both the Canadian Headlight Module (CHM) that is mounted on the ceiling of the front run box and by the Smartwheel Controller that is also mounted in our front run box. I believe that the logic is that the CHM turns the low beam lamps on whenever the coach is running. I believe that the only input from the Smartwheel system is to allow flashing the low beam lamps to signal vehicles in front that it is safe to change lanes and to illuminate them when the light switch is on and the dimmer switch is in the low position. (Some call the flashing function to be using an ICC switch.) If the lights are off, the Smartwheel button will illuminate them while the button is held down. If the lights are on, the Smartwheel button will turn them off while the button is held down. It also powers the low beam lamps when the lights are on and the dimmer switch is in the low position.

The hight beam headlight power is switched by the two relays on board #8, K1 and K2. Note again, on many coaches, K1 is for the high beam lamps and K2 is for the low beam lamps.

If you would contact Paul (pwhittle) and get the wiring diagram for the '05 Signature, that will give you the information you need to troubleshoot your particular coach. I think the changes in the relay logic may have been at the end of your model year, or the beginning of the '06 design. What he has for you will be a huge help!

Jim J also made an excellent point. Many have modified their coaches to eliminate the high current in the control circuitry and the front run box by putting relays in the nose with power leads to a strong 12 volt source and operating the relays with the existing control circuitry. You should be able to see if that's been done, however, as it is likely that whatever the previous owner might have done would likely not look like a factory installation.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My DRL output is wired to the output of the SmartWheel controller. I think the DRL module sends a reduced voltage to the lights so that when the SmartWheel headlight flash is activated, they get the full voltage and there is a small difference in the headlights, but not enough for anyone to see as a clear indicator that it is safe to change lanes.

The DRL module makes the headlight glass ineffective. I plan to disable mine or update the wiring to restore headlight flash functionality. I also plan to add a relay for the low beams to reduce current through the Smartwheel controller and the high beam switch.

The last thing I plan to do is to change the wiring so that the low beams stay on when the high beams come on. Our coach has Ford Expedition headlights with separate bulbs for high and low beams.

The ICC is the Smartwheel button on the right and flashes the clearance lights.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #13

2005 Monaco executive lighting

I was looking on the VIP web sight. The schematic shows the smart wheel controller operates a bunch of things I am having issues with. My headlights only work on high beam D/S. My windshield wipers barely work, very slow then stop. My cruise control does not work, but I can increase the engine rpm in neutral while idling. Has anyone had any issues like this? Smart bow? I do not see any burnt spots that are visible on the circuit board.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:21 AM   #14

2005 Monaco executive lighting

Found the schematics! I contacted Monaco REV group and I received the lighting schematics.

Tags
light, lights, monaco