Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
The side radiator is a good application for a motor home versus the rear radiator. The side radiator pulls air in from the side of the RV while the rear radiator pushes air out the back, picking up dirt/debris off the road. The rear radiator is prone to getting accumulations of dirt in it reducing the cooling efficiency and risking overheating of the engine. As previous poster stated, the side radiator allows for better access to the engine for maintenance purposes.

4 of the 6 tires are acceptable for age, 1 is questionable, and one should be replaced. My recommendation would be to put a new set of tires on the front, move the 4 to the rear, and if the 1 questionable tire is not ages out save it as a spare. When I bought my 2002 Windsor I put new on the front and then ran the back for 2 more years.

I have 106K miles on my Windsor, just came back from a 3600 mile trip to New Mexico. May take another trip by the end of the year before winterizing.

The Windsor is a top of the line coach behind the Signature, Executive, and Dynasty. In most cases, options that were available on these coaches were eventually incorporated into the Windsor 1-2 years later. There is talk of the Windsor model being reestablished.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #16

Thanks for the tip to the Monaco forum.

I think the previous owner replaced tires as needed due to expense. Regardless of vehicle I always bite the bullet and replace all at one time. Easier to keep records.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"bjepps"......That coach has a 6 digit production number that Monaco assigned to all coaches. It is usually written in several places, like the information label on the back of the medicine cabinet door or elsewhere.

If you locate that 6 digit number (not part of the VIN), you can email Monaco the number and request the build sheet. They will send you a 2-3 page build sheet of everything that went into that motor home. It will include all components and their serial numbers, like engine and trans.

I wouldn't wait to long, the Windsors are still in high demand and that one may not be around for long.

Your only real concern is the engine. I would print out the info received above regarding the affected engine serial numbers and compare it to the serial number on the coach. On a side radiator, like the Windsor, the number is visible, I believe on the right front of the engine, as you face it from the rear doors.

I would put the four newest tires on the rear, as mentioned, buy two new tires for the front. This breaks up your expenditure over 2-3 years, rather than buy all new tires every time.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjepps View Post
Even one with 75k miles? Cosmetically it is close to perfect, stored indoors, all systems are functioning correctly, owner agrees to a dealer inspection and will repair anything not functioning. Does not appear to have any leak issues.

Bob

75k miles is no issue at all. If the PM has been kept up to date, that is "break in" Milage.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #19

Cummins 400ISL

Just got good news regarding a 05 Windsor.

Monaco was able to give me the build date and engine # on the coach I am considering based on the last six number of the vin. They were also able to see no recalls. The build date was 2004 so out of the build time for engines with possible wrist pin issues.

Just in case I called Cummins with the engine #. No recalls or service bulletins.

The Aladdin is also functioning.

Bob
Old 11-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds great! I think you should look it over inch by inch or get a professional that knows what he's doing and see if there are any red flags... If all is good, make an offer. Like other posters have said, that is a solid motorhome and still has a lot of life and fun times left in it.

Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #21

Resale of higher mileage rv' (05 Windsor)

Here's a question regarding the resale of units over, let's say at 125k miles for a 05 Windsor.

Assuming everything is in satisfactory to possibly above average condition, what is the likelihood of selling a high mileage unit. Most folks are aware the cummins engine is a long mileage engine. However I believe there is a general perception here in the US that a vehicle over 100k miles is something to shy away from purchasing.

What is the likelihood of being able to sell a 100,000 + miles motorhome?

Bob
Old 11-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cummins says the wrist pin problem only manifests itself before 25,000 miles, noce past that it's not a problem so don't worry about it.
Also, Cummins extended the warranty on those affected engines for much longer than the normal one. NHTSA may have the letter from Cummins legal about it.

Sounds like a good rig going by the OP's posts. We looked at several (actually more than "several") of the Monaco's, usually the Dynasty and the DW really liked one with the front drivers side kitchen and mid large screen TV.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
bjepps
I am sure that there is a stigma of buying a coach with +100K miles, this may prevent people from taking a look at it.

I believe that if the coach is in good condition, has been maintained that the mileage issue can be overcome.

We bought our 2002 Windsor in late 2008, it had ~55K miles, which for a ~6 year old coach would be considered "higher" miles. So far so good, have had some problems but still running good. Just took it on a ~3600 mile trip, ran like a top.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjepps View Post
Here's a question regarding the resale of units over, let's say at 125k miles for a 05 Windsor.

Assuming everything is in satisfactory to possibly above average condition, what is the likelihood of selling a high mileage unit. Most folks are aware the cummins engine is a long mileage engine. However I believe there is a general perception here in the US that a vehicle over 100k miles is something to shy away from purchasing.

What is the likelihood of being able to sell a 100,000 + miles motorhome?

Bob
I do not know but someday will find out as our rig is close to 100K miles.

The 100,000 mile stigma is real and must be considered in the purchase.

If you are buying the rig for long term use or getting an attractive price then evaluate, decide and charge ahead.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:16 PM   #25

Pulled the trigger

Well we have a handshake on a deal for a 2005 Monaco Windsor with 75k miles. The coach is in superb condition though having it gone though by a local RV dealer. The 100k mileage stigma has me concerned but what the heck it's only $$$. Got it for $75k. Looking forward to the travels.

Thanks everyone for their advise and patience.

Bob
Old 11-06-2015, 08:55 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Good Luck, hope everything works out for you. I would not respond if I didn't stand behind our coach and the Monaco brand.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #27

Thanks

We are to complete the transaction this week. Anxious about an inaugural trip.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #28

Took the plunge. We are now the owners of a 2005 Monaco Windsor.

Tags
monaco