Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

2005 Monaco Windsor

Looking at a 2005 Monaco Windsor diesel pusher with 74k miles. Seems to be a well cared for and extremely clean. Has a cummins isl 400.

What are issues I should be looking for such as:

Leaks
Electrical problems
Suspension issues
Air bag leveling system issues
Aladdin coach montoring system (no longer made

Anything else I should be looking for. The last mh was years ago and a class c tioga. We currently have a tt. Thanks for any help.

Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2002 Windsor and try to pay attention to any posts regarding Windsors, there are not many. It is a nice coach, 1 step below the Dynasty. They did change the chassis in 2003 but it is still a strong coach.

Check maintenance records, engine, transmission, and generator probably the most important. If you have time you may want to pull oil samples and get an analysis looking for anything out of the ordinary. I did this on my coolant, cost ~$35 took less then a week to get the results. I will do my engine oil next, already have the kit from JG Lubricant.

Check tire date codes, it should have newer tires on it but if they haven't been changed they will have to be.

My Windsor has a fiberglass roof which is a great roof, just check the sealant around any openings. Look for signs of leaks around openings and in cabinets etc.

If it has a Norcold refrigerator make sure it has had the recall. Most people are changing to residential when the absorption refrigerator goes bad.

Good luck

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response. This coach has a one piece Fiberglas roof as well. Tell me more about having oil and coolant samples tested. Seems like I have heard about it but that's all. It does have a 2 door Norcold 2 way fridge though I don't know how you would convert to a residential considering the size difference.

Again, thanks
Old 10-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure the Norcold has had the recall, you should see a small black box fastened to the back of it if it has. If the refrigerator is working you don't have to convert, just a comment as to what people do if the Norcold fails (ultimately all refrigerators fail). I still have my Norcold, it performs about as well as can be expected.

The oil sampling is fairly straight forward. Order a kit from a company, pull a sample and send it in. Each analysis will provide information as to the condition of the sample. In my case I bought 2 kits, one for coolant and one for engine oil. I pulled a sample of coolant and sent it in on a Monday and got the results Thursday evening. The results showed my coolant had a freeze point of -40F, good SCA levels, PH was within range and NO abnormal conditions.

I used JG Lubricant Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service There are others but JG Lubricants is involved with IRV2.

Do some research on the testing, may not be necessary but will give you piece of mind.

Good Luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #5

As to Monaco RV's what is the hierarchy of the models?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 10-30-2015, 10:44 PM   #6

Cumming's wrist pin issue

What is the wrist pin issue on the late '05 and early '06 cummin's isl engines?
Old 10-31-2015, 06:51 AM   #7

I've been using Blackstone labs for the past few years for my oil & tranny analysis. They've been prompt, and always available if I've had any questions.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:10 AM   #8

2005 Monaco Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjepps View Post
Looking at a 2005 Monaco Windsor diesel pusher with 74k miles. Seems to be a well cared for and extremely clean. Has a cummins isl 400.

What are issues I should be looking for such as:

Leaks

Electrical problems

Suspension issues

Air bag leveling system issues

Aladdin coach montoring system (no longer made

Anything else I should be looking for. The last mh was years ago and a class c tioga. We currently have a tt. Thanks for any help.

Bob

My best friend & occasional travel buddy had an '05 Windsor.

ISL wrist pin defect serial number range is the serial number range for the wrist pin issue:

ISL wrist pin defect serial number range

The '05 Windsor used a Firestone air leveling system that had some reliability issues. Don't know the specifics.

The Aladdin was a good system in its day. My '03 system still is functional and I use the engine/transmission monitor all the time. The tank levels still work but I have installed a "See Level" for improved accuracy.

The Windsors are beautiful, well built coaches. If you can find a Dynasty '03-'05, you get a tag axle & AquaHot. If you don't particularly want those things than the Windsor is great.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:35 PM   #9

Thanks everyone! Between wrist pin issues, Aladdin control systems, norcold refrigerators and the Firestone airbag leveling system it sounds like a coach to stay away from purchasing.

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 11-01-2015, 12:52 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bob.....The wrist pin issue is with ANY brand coach that has a 400 ISL built sometime between 2005 and 2006. There were not that many motors built with the issue. Just check the numbers of any coach you might be interested in.

Same thing with the Norcold.....it came in EVERY brand of coach.

The Aladdin was a nice system that gives you information like tank capacities etc. Even if it didn't work, it's not a big deal.

I've been on the forum for years and owned a 2005 Monaco Diplomat. I can only think of one time I heard about issues with the Firestone bags.

The Monaco Windsor was one of the best built coaches you could buy. Not just best built Monaco, but any brand in that price range. To this day, they're still stylish looking. When the economy went bad in 08-09, many people panicked and sold their coaches. The Windsors were grabbed up as fast as they became available. You won't find a better coach in that year.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #11

Even one with 75k miles? Cosmetically it is close to perfect, stored indoors, all systems are functioning correctly, owner agrees to a dealer inspection and will repair anything not functioning. Does not appear to have any leak issues.

Bob
Old 11-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
75,000 miles is really nothing when it comes to the drivetrain in that coach.... Heck that 400 ISL is barely broken in.
Don't worry about the mileage. Just make sure it has been properly maintained. Sounds like it has been.
I have the same engine and can tell you that they are very reliable and should run like a top for you.... Just get the serial number and make sure it doesn't fall within the range of the wrist pin issues.... Even if it does there is nothing to say it will have that problem but it might.

Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #13

What is the advantage of the side radiator?

Tires are relatively new. Can not read one and one of the 6 is aging. Here's a list of the ages:

3@ 5012 (approx 3 years old)
1@ 0215 (not 1 year old)
1@ 0108 (almost 8 years old, aging)
1 unreadable (faces in on the dual)

What does regroovable mean on the tire sidewall?

Will need to find the engine s/n.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The side radiator will give you better access to the engine and make maintenance or replacing a broken belt far easier than a rear radiator. The only downside is that you will lose some basement storage. I have the rear radiator on my rig... It hasn't been an issue but thinking my next rig will be side radiator.
Kind of strange about the different dates on the tires. Must have had a failure or blowout at some point. The one that is oldest should be replaced as soon as possible. Are they all the same brand /model tires?
If you have specific questions regarding the coach I wound suggest you go to the Monaco owners forum on here... Lots of good info for Monaco and Holiday Rambler coaches on there.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
monaco