Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #1

2005 safari trek on workhorse W20 chassis

Hey all.

I have a 2005 trek safari built on 2004 workhorse W20 chassis over the last year I have gotten a check engine light after fuel in up. I figured gas cap leaking so tripping some kind of pollution control module? Happened every once in a while. But the fuel tank would take fuel through the fastest pump nozzels.

The recently every time I filled up and accelerated the check engine light would come on.

Then while traveling in the heat in June when ever I go up or down hill the generator shuts off?...

My Onan 5500 has just started shutting down after running great for years. Took it to Onan and they said it's the uptake pipe inside tank. So took it to RV repair who said its fine but replaced a couple fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter and charged me $1400.00 *^#+=%

They let it run for hours and declared it fixed. I picked it up turned the generator on, A/C on and headed for gas station. The generator was running as I put gas in tank. First thing I noticed was the fuel would not go into the tank. It kept tripping the nozzle like the tank was full. Well attempting to fuel motorhome (just over 1/3 full) caused the generator to shut down. Just like before. But now the coach will barely take fuel to boot.

Help. Is there something electronic that measures pressure inside fuel system. Vapor locking or shutting down generator.

It was running great until I went to put fuel in tank.
Ronwedemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Are you also the type of person that doesn't turn there refrigerator off either when refueling?
Old 08-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #3

Have you tried a different station? I have a local station where the fuel must go in very slow where in most stations it will fill at full delivery. If you have only refilled once I would try another station before digging into it too deep.

As a side note, the EVAP system can cause issues as well. Does the generator run with the fuel cap off/loose?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The usual cause of not being able to get fuel in the tank is the vent from the tank to the filler neck is blocked. Since that problem happened after you had hoses replaced the shop probably left a low spot or kink in the vent hose. If the hose has a low spot it can get fuel in it and block the fumes from being vented when trying to add fuel. Follow the vent hose from the tank to the filler neck to find the problem.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, workhorse