Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
getting my cheerios eaten by Exhaust Donuts... anyone with info on how to stop this?
I have had both replaced yearly for last two years, in spring... seems that I-95 South coming down thru SC and Georgia is the culprit because this is where the leakage, codes, and alarms for CO have all started ...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

I feel your pain. during the summer of 2014 I replaced my gaskets with part number
F31731 from Car Quest. That fall we developed an exhaust manifold leak, and when that was fixed, the mechanic said we needed new exhaust gaskets as well, so he installed the genuine GM ones. Not sure which part number he used

15150413 donut OEM
15170285 donut GM

By time we got back to Iowa in the spring, they were leaking, so once again I purchased two of these Robot Check but this time I replaced the bolts and nuts as well which I purchased from GM. Havent had a problem since...Knock on wood.

I have read that part of the problem is the distance from the manifold back to the support, and someone has suggested that a support be added for better stability of the exhaust pipe.

PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
My "gut" tells me that support is honestly the ONLY way to stop the movement, especially on poorly maintained roads like I-95 in Georgia and SC.
My local RV Shop does the job of replacing both "donuts" in 30 minutes for just over $100.00, but it is just irritating to have to do it over and over every bumpy road I travel !

Second worry is " will the extra support cause even more exhaust rumble inside the coach?" In my teen years I loved that "rumble and thunder" now I find it irritating as poorly fitting skivvies ! That GM 8.1 puts out some power but the dual exhaust also can rumble when ya get on it.

Wonder if any other "old timers" have done the added support fix and have input ?????

Tags
class a