Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #1

Here is my question:
Is it this a good deal offered NEW at $135,000 ?
We are new at RVing and not sure what we want.
Would we get a big hit if we sell it again in a year to move to something bigger?
I looked up the same unit on Nada for a year old (2005) the range is $125,310 - $150,980.
I am thinking to get something that would work for right now till we decide if
we want to go fulltime, at least for a year, at a really good price so we
won't have big loss when upgrading?
Thanks for any advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #2

Here is my question:
Would we get a big hit if we sell it again in a year to move to something bigger?
I looked up the same unit on Nada for a year old (2005) the range is $125,310 - $150,980.
Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You lose a lot of money anytime you drive anything off the lot. Go here http://www.rv.net/forum/ do a search on Founder.
You may also be able to find an Alpha owners group on the net from whom to get answers. You don't have a signature but remember the factory is in CA.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You won't get NADA retail value when you trade it in - the dealer will offer you wholesale (usually low wholesale at that) plus whatever discount from MSRP he was willing to give any buyer, trade in or not.

So the bottom line is that you will lose nearly half what you paid if you trade it in 1-2 years.

On th eother hand, it is wise to assume your first rig will be not the one you really want and plan on trading in 1-2 years. That's why it is best to start out used and at a modest a price as possible, to cut the cost of that learning experience. Starting with a steeply discounted leftover may not be a bad thing. But the factthat the Alfa is still begging for a buyer should tell you something about it's future market value. There are a lot of new and used Alfas out there nd they are not bringing premium prices. Look at the used Rv sale sites (rvtrader.com or rvclassified.com) and see how many are for sale and at what prices.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #5

If you are already thinking that this is not the unit you want but thinking about buying it and trading in a year, then don't buy it.

Yes, you will lose your......money trading that fast.

Now if you buy a used coach, then chances are that you will not lose as much.

But personally, I would keep looking until I found what I knew I wanted. But then in two years, you will probably trade anyway, because your views change on what you want. Yep, I know by experience.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:07 AM   #6

Thank you all for your answers, they were exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
I figured that if we bought a new unit for a really good deal, like 60% MRSP we would not loose our shirts trading it in later on; but I didn't know if there were any other factors to be considered.
Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #7

docsbrown:

$135,000 is standard price you can get a Founder for. They list for $180,000 so that is 25% off. Many dealers will give you that deal.

If you sell it in a year, you will probably be given about 20-30% less than the $135,000 which you paid (plus tax and license.)

There is a used one on rvtraderonline for $107,000.

The Founder is a good entry diesel. Understand that it is a stipped down See Ya, has a smaller engine, a non-raised rail frame, and less bells and whistles. It is also all electric (no propane) which is not bad (my Essex is all electric and I prefer that.) It is just something to consider.

I used to own an Alfa. They are a good coach, for the money. You may want to pay more to get more. I also suggest buying used, as a first coach, then you won't lose as much when you trade down the road.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by docsbrown:
Here is my question:
Thanks for any advice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-20-2007, 09:53 AM   #9

I bought my Founder in March 2005 for 166,000.I have several problem with it that was not fixed in the first year warranty. I ask Alfa Leisure to trade me out. Nada says it worth 149,000 but Alfa would not offer me but 91,000 on it for a trade Feb 18th 2007. I am now giving them another change to fix it. this will be the seventh time it been to service dealers. Last time I took it to Alfa Leisure factory and now it is going back again to Alfa Leisure because I can,t afford to loose that much money on this Motorhome. Wish they would of just traded with me and let me out of all the bull. Sliman
Old 02-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sliman welcome to irv2
How bad are your problems that you can not get a fair trade from Alfa.
Post some of them here see if we can help. If they are major may not be able but give it a try.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #11

I don't think there is major problems. I only have 2,451.0 miles on this motorhome. Alfa installed ABS front dash peice that is for a 2006 or 2007 model they don't fit properly. The drawers and shelfs that fit the 2005 will not fit the 2006 piece. they was trying to repair a crack in the dash when they did this. The crack looked better.
This has been going on for two years so I am trying to cut it short for you. They was suppose to repair the trim around the carpet on my fold down floor at the entrance of my motorhome. They new my carpet was discontiued.They changed the carpet instead of just fixing the trim. Now I have two different colors of carpet .
I have a Splendide Combo Washer& Dryer that has not work since I got it. I used it two weeks and it wouldn't come on. It has been on the repair list everytime it went to the shop. Now it works but it leaks in the front of the washer. So I am not using it because they haven't repair anything else right and I don't want to damage my cabinet.
My kitchen cabinets are loosing ther finish. They didn't fix that.
My wind senor on my awing has never work. They say they changed the box out. But it still has not worked for us.
My King Dome sattelite Has never worked from day one. They said they change this out and put me a new one. Well it does now catch a signal but does not hold it.It will work o.k. for a day or two then it looses the signal and you have to start all over setting it up again.
My capitan chair on the passenger side is torn were they sewn the word Alfa on has been this way from day one.
The panels on the entrance steps was not cut right. Leaving holes and gaps and screws holes showing.
My shower leak since the day I bought it. They may have fixed this on the last visit. Waiting to see cause it kind of trickie doesn't always leak right away. but it took six trips to fix this little thing.
I don't see anything major most of it is Alfa Leisure factory defects. The appliance I just don't understand why these weren't fixed. Only thing I can see they sale them but they have no one who can work on them. That 91,000 ninety one thousand sure told me what they think about their Alfa Leisure product. Now they want me to take it right back to the Alfa Leisure factory,it was just there January 15th 2007 for two weeks. Alfa Leisure was my last hope now I don't have any hope at all. I guess I will have to go back to the Alfa factory because they give me no choice in the matter. Then I will have to get me Lawyer and go from there. Really don't want all this trouble. I should be enjoying my motorhome.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You said that right you should be enjoying your motorhome. Sounds like your Dealer hasn't a clue as to how to correct anything. Also some poor quality work by MFG. The factory should correct your MH its still under warranty.
When you are at factory do you stay there and get a brake down of work done for that day and they tell you whats up for next day?
Alot of people love there Alfa's didn't know that they wouldn't follow thru on problems of there making, good luck at factory hope you can stay there to follow up on them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That 91,000 ninety one thousand sure told me what they think about their Alfa Leisure product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you will find that $91000 is about the wholesale value of your coach, which is in fact what it is worth in a trade. You would also usually be able to get 20-25% off the MSRP of the new coach as a discount, which would make the trade-in value look better. But if you measure trade-in against the cash discounted price for a new one, then $91k sounds about right. Sad, but right.

But if they wanted MSRP for theirs and only offered you $91k for yours, that's no deal at all. Most any dealer would do better, probably even sight unseen.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote