Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
Whoops, I said that my left side brake light works now. Meant that the right side is now working again! Either way, I now have all my brake lights working!
Thanks everyone.

2006 Thor Mandalay 40F, 400 Cummins ISL, Freightliner Chassis.
rescue5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd suggest a spray can of contact cleaner/lube to ensure the connections are good. No fun finding out the lights don't work from a state trooper! --Just after my buddy and I got our licenses, he had a Simca, a French auto with ALL the switches on the steering wheel hub. We got stooped once or twice a week in that thing for one light or another being out. A rap on the switches would set it right and we'd be off until the next stop.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
That's a good idea. I've got some contact cleaner and grease in the shop. This thing has the "smart wheel", so it has all the switches on the wheel as well. I hear that they do all kinds of weird stuff when then start to fail. I just can't wait for that!!
Old 12-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the update-- good work.
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
Well, I drive the coach to get it washed and gas it up. When I came back, the right brake light wasn't working again. I dug into the steering column again and took the connector off the turn signal switch to take some ohm readings with a multimeter. I found that one of the male spade connectors that outputs the right brake signal (it's the connector that would mate up to one of the green wires on the plug from the harness) had 0.1 ohms when wiggled one direction, and then increased to over 100 ohms when wiggled the other direction.
I replaced the turn signal switch assembly ($142 from freightliner) and the problem is now completely solved.
For anyone needing to replace their own turn signal switch, it's a pretty easy and straightforward task. There are only two torx head bolts that are needed to be removed. I used a torx bit which I turned with a adjustable wrench as the clearance below the steering wheel is tight.
Thanks again with all the help and suggestions. Hopefully this helps someone else out somewhere down the road.

brake, brake lights, chassis, freightliner, lights