Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 12:11 AM   #1

2006 Itasca meridian 36g

My 12v lights are going dim and blinking and my batteries are showing discharged. All this while I'm plugged into 50 amps.
Anyone have any ideas?
Hawaii Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Check the inverter for a tripped circuit breaker or a resettable fuse on the inverter it's self.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #3

Thanks, I will try that.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If not one of those things, the charger portion may have failed.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #5

Nope, no breakers open. Batteries are discharged 10.2v so I'm thinking the inverter/charger is not working properly.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Dick View Post
My 12v lights are going dim and blinking and my batteries are showing discharged. All this while I'm plugged into 50 amps.
Anyone have any ideas?
Hawaii Dick,
Based on your model and year, I'd just about bet that you have a Dimensions 2000 watt Inverter/Charger on board. While they are a pretty good unit, the charger side has a rep for failing, at some point in time. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, also had that Dimensions unit. We purchased it with 40K on the clock, about 4 years ago. About 3 years after that, making it, plus or minus sometime early last year, we also experienced a no-charge condition of the house batteries while being plugged in.

I trouble shooted 'till the cows came home and, it was simply a blown charging circuit in that Dimensions. I called Dimensions about it and, the tech was real nice and we talked for quite a while. He told me that my unit was/is rebuildable and, re-programmable. He stated that, when I was ready, he'd give me a repair order number and, it would be shipped to Dimensions and, he'd have a priority on it, repair it, re-flash the programming on it for later model circuitry and, send it back. All this for a measly $550.00 plus or minus.

That was a while ago. My dillagent wife, in her gallant efforts, found a 6 month old Magnum 2012 (model, not year) for $750. on craigs list. We purchased it for $650.00 and, it's been working flawlessly so far.

Now, I tell you all this, just in case you exhaust all efforts in troubleshooting and, the final determination is a charging circuit that is shot. The Dimensions unit is what's called a "Quasi-wave" inverter. Basically it's a modified sign wave unit. In the event you actually need a new Inverter/Charger, the preferred unit is a "PURE SIGN WAVE" unit. But, those as you will find, are seriously pricey. And, much of your decision is based on just how much you care about certain electronics that you either have already on board or, will be using.

Ok, enough blabbing. you just need to really determine if you've got an alternate fuse or, circuit breaker that's malfunctioning. Let me ask you this, do your house batteries charge while your engine is running? You can tell by using a Volt-Ohm meter at the batteries when the engine is running. At least you'll know if that side of the equation is working correctly or not. They are in fact, two separate charging systems. But, it's good to know if you can at least re-charge the house batteries from the main engine, to get you out of a jamb 'till you get your main problem fixed.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #7

Just to be sure, D Lindy was referring to on the units themselves, not normal CB's. (Ask me how I know, as I had to reset my previous inverter/charger combination once, and did not realize it was on the back of the boxes on that unit! That old unit is serving a nice Fireman (thinking of you Scott), over in Showlow, AZ. He found my add on Craigslist, and sent a check. When I found out he was a Fireman, I split shipping with him. Can't thank these guys enough for what they do!!).

Good luck to you sir, and please report back what you find out as 'root cause'!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #8

$ is one of the problems with inverter/chargers when 1/2 of it goes south. I keep the two separate, inverter and converter. I also prefer a modified sine wave inverter, just about everything we have or need runs very well with it.

Take a look at your model/brand on the inet and go to the troubleshooting section of the manual. There should also be a separate fuse between the battery and the charger near the battery. Check it out too. $600 to 700 will buy one heck of a good converter, probably 2. You can go that route too.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:51 PM   #9

Good to know all that. I'm thinking it is something to do with the inverter charger. All my radios are acting up and the house battery reads 7- 10 volts. If I start the engine, it reads 13.4 v. Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow I think.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #10

Thanks everyone that helped. The dealer came by today and trouble shot the whole system. It turned out to be a faulty ground in the house battery bank. Whomever installed the house batteries in August of 2014 forgot to tighten the leads on one of the three 12v house batteries. Turns out the inverter/charger is okay. Should be good for awhile as there is only 16,000 on the odometer.
Again thanks.

Tags
itasca