Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
2006 Itasca radio aux power switch failure

Hello folks! Newbe here. I recently purchased a 2006 Itasca 29R and the aux power switch on my dashboard that provides power to the radio and cigarette lighter plug is acting like it has a faulty breaker (see attached video). I don't know if there is a breaker in the circuit for this aux power switch, but that's the symptom I'm dealing with.

When I flip the switch to power the radio (key off), I see the radio back light come on for about a half second and then immediately goes off. See attached video. I can power the radio without issue using the ignition key in on or accessory position. Therefore, it doesn't appear that there is a short in the radio, but somewhere in the circuit for the aux switch. Or possibly a bad breaker somewhere. I have not tried to pull the switch out of the dash panel yet as I haven't found any hits on how to do this at this point. Can someone advise me on this issue if you've had a similar problem with the radio power aux switch? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Adventurer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 03:48 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums; Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
Usually the "Auxiliary" switch is to turn on the "house" batteries. The radio dual source switch usually is marked "chassis" and "house or coach". Make certain the house batteries are turned on.
To test for Auxiliary switch to be for the house battery disconnect, try having a ceiling light on and no shore power or generator running and turn the Auxiliary switch off and see if the light goes out. If you still find this is for the dash radio can you post a photo of the switch.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
Do you know about the magic dashboard? The entire dash is on a hinge. Grasp the bottom of the dash board and lift up. There will be velcro holding it down, but comes up easily. You have access to all the wiring and fuses underneath.
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
In my coach, the AUX 'button' on the dash is pressed and held to parallel the house batteries with the chassis battery in order to have a more powerful start of the engine. It's a pushbutton so it releases as soon as you remove your thumb.

Then, there is a two position switch on the dash labeled "Radio Mode" that works as follows:

1) Park - When at a RV park with shore power, this position allows the radio to operate just like it would if the engine was running. Presumably, your RV has a converter that is charging the batteries so the radio doesn't discharge them.
2) Travel - This causes the radio to behave like a normal car radio. So when you stop the RV at a store, the radio turns off. Saving battery power.

That's how my RV handles it. Perhaps yours is similar. I've not seen a RV that called the radio switch the AUX so I think you might be looking at the wrong one.

Like RV Wizard suggested, if we saw a picture of your dash, we could probably help. Also, you mention a video...but it's not attached.
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club

I had an 06 Itasca Sunrise with the switch you are describing. The power for the house batteries has to be turned on for the switch to work in house position. Make sure your 12v disconnect is turned on. Other than that, it should be easy to check the switch for power coming in from the house batteries. As previously mentioned, the entire dash area just lifts up so there is easy access to the back of the switch. If you have power to the switch from both the chassis and house batteries, then it must be a defective switch.
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists"
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
Previously '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W22 Workhorse
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies! The radio power button is the one I'm referring to, not the aux switch for starting the motor. I did try and post the video, but somethging went wrong with that attempt. I will try and lift the dash and see if I can trace the switch wires. I will attach a photo of the page from the electrical manual. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I didn't get notified of these posts. I REALLY appreciate the help!

Old 03-30-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Problem fixed! I found the fuse which had blown under the dash. Thanks for advising how the dash simply fips up like that! Again, I really appreciate the help!

power, itasca, radio