Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #1

2006 Southwind 32VS Workhorse 2200

Looking at this coach anything I should know, or look at before I buy?
JRACERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Good solid model not known to have any big faults. Check it over like anything else. Mine has been a trouble free unit. The size can fit in the state parks but it is large enough to spend the winters in.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRACERX View Post
Looking at this coach anything I should know, or look at before I buy?
If the sixth character of the Vin # is a "6", then it is a W-22 series chassis and you will want to VERIFY that the Bosch brake RECALL has been completed. There may have been other "minor" recalls, but the Bosch recall should be completed before any money changes hands.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
If the sixth character of the Vin # is a "6", then it is a W-22 series chassis and you will want to VERIFY that the Bosch brake RECALL has been completed. There may have been other "minor" recalls, but the Bosch recall should be completed before any money changes hands.
Edgray,
Do you mean the FIN? The first 6 characters of the "FIN" are: 721V64. This is located on the Cargo Carrying Capacity sheet, located in the bedroom closet. It also discloses the year (2006), and model (Southwind).
Thanks for the information guys!
Old 07-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
VIN # Vehicle Identification Number. Located on the Dashboard and a number of other places on the Motorhome.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No what Ed is talking about is the vehicle identification number. It should appear on your title. If you don't have the title you could call Fleetwood with the FIN number and they could probably give you the Vin #.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #7

Thanks for all of your insights, I do know what a vin number is (I have been around cars & trucks all my life). We haven't bought the coach yet, hoping to next week. I thought Ed might have known if the "FIN # was the same as the VIN#
Old 07-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

W22 is a good solid chassis. Look at the front end. If it's an I beam suspension then it's a W series chassis. If it has twin A-Arms then it's a P series chassis which personally I would not buy. The only issue with the W chassis is the 8.1 Vortec has a propensity to crack exhaust manifolds. Just give it a good listen while idling for any "ticking" noises that might indicate a manifold leak.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRACERX View Post
Thanks for all of your insights, I do know what a vin number is (I have been around cars & trucks all my life). We haven't bought the coach yet, hoping to next week. I thought Ed might have known if the "FIN # was the same as the VIN#

I assume the FIN is a coach ID number. I need the last 8 digits of the VIN #, which begins with "5B4".
Old 07-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
W22 is a good solid chassis. Look at the front end. If it's an I beam suspension then it's a W series chassis. If it has twin A-Arms then it's a P series chassis which personally I would not buy. The only issue with the W chassis is the 8.1 Vortec has a propensity to crack exhaust manifolds. Just give it a good listen while idling for any "ticking" noises that might indicate a manifold leak.

Not sure where you got the idea about the 8.1 cracking exhaust manifolds. I don't think that is common at all. IMO, the "only" label should be applied to the Bosch brake recall, which affected ALL the W22 series chassis.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Manifold issues

Had to replace my right side exhaust manifold on my 2008 in 2013.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Had to replace my right side exhaust manifold on my 2008 in 2013.
Sorry to hear that, but I didn't say it never happens-I simply opined that it isn't a common problem and that it certainly isn't the "only" problem for the W 22 series, as was posted by someone above.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Sorry to hear that, but I didn't say it never happens-I simply opined that it isn't a common problem and that it certainly isn't the "only" problem for the W 22 series, as was posted by someone above.
From what ive seen on this site it is a reason for concern so buyer beware!
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Not sure where you got the idea about the 8.1 cracking exhaust manifolds. I don't think that is common at all. IMO, the "only" label should be applied to the Bosch brake recall, which affected ALL the W22 series chassis.
It's a weakness of most of the GM big blocks and well known. Didn't say it happens to all but it not unheard of. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Just something to watch out for when buying a used coach.

Tags
southwind, workhorse