Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7
2006 Southwind 32VS Workhorse 2200

Looking at this coach anything I should know, or look at before I buy?
__________________

__________________
JRACERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 11:32 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
what next's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 503
Good solid model not known to have any big faults. Check it over like anything else. Mine has been a trouble free unit. The size can fit in the state parks but it is large enough to spend the winters in.
__________________

__________________
2010 Dutch Star 4333
2009 Honda Accord- Brakemaster
what next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRACERX View Post
Looking at this coach anything I should know, or look at before I buy?
If the sixth character of the Vin # is a "6", then it is a W-22 series chassis and you will want to VERIFY that the Bosch brake RECALL has been completed. There may have been other "minor" recalls, but the Bosch recall should be completed before any money changes hands.
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
If the sixth character of the Vin # is a "6", then it is a W-22 series chassis and you will want to VERIFY that the Bosch brake RECALL has been completed. There may have been other "minor" recalls, but the Bosch recall should be completed before any money changes hands.
Edgray,
Do you mean the FIN? The first 6 characters of the "FIN" are: 721V64. This is located on the Cargo Carrying Capacity sheet, located in the bedroom closet. It also discloses the year (2006), and model (Southwind).
Thanks for the information guys!
__________________
JRACERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
RandyKathyM's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 191
VIN # Vehicle Identification Number. Located on the Dashboard and a number of other places on the Motorhome.
__________________
Randy & Kathy
2004 Southwind 37A
RandyKathyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Steve N Sal's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,614
No what Ed is talking about is the vehicle identification number. It should appear on your title. If you don't have the title you could call Fleetwood with the FIN number and they could probably give you the Vin #.
__________________
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Michigan (Winter For Now)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:58 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7
Thanks for all of your insights, I do know what a vin number is (I have been around cars & trucks all my life). We haven't bought the coach yet, hoping to next week. I thought Ed might have known if the "FIN # was the same as the VIN#
__________________
JRACERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 572
W22 is a good solid chassis. Look at the front end. If it's an I beam suspension then it's a W series chassis. If it has twin A-Arms then it's a P series chassis which personally I would not buy. The only issue with the W chassis is the 8.1 Vortec has a propensity to crack exhaust manifolds. Just give it a good listen while idling for any "ticking" noises that might indicate a manifold leak.
__________________
2014 Southwind 32VS
2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X\2013 Honda CRV AWD
2015 Polaris RZR XP 1000\2014 KTM 350EXC
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRACERX View Post
Thanks for all of your insights, I do know what a vin number is (I have been around cars & trucks all my life). We haven't bought the coach yet, hoping to next week. I thought Ed might have known if the "FIN # was the same as the VIN#

I assume the FIN is a coach ID number. I need the last 8 digits of the VIN #, which begins with "5B4".
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
W22 is a good solid chassis. Look at the front end. If it's an I beam suspension then it's a W series chassis. If it has twin A-Arms then it's a P series chassis which personally I would not buy. The only issue with the W chassis is the 8.1 Vortec has a propensity to crack exhaust manifolds. Just give it a good listen while idling for any "ticking" noises that might indicate a manifold leak.

Not sure where you got the idea about the 8.1 cracking exhaust manifolds. I don't think that is common at all. IMO, the "only" label should be applied to the Bosch brake recall, which affected ALL the W22 series chassis.
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 338
Manifold issues

Had to replace my right side exhaust manifold on my 2008 in 2013.
__________________
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Had to replace my right side exhaust manifold on my 2008 in 2013.
Sorry to hear that, but I didn't say it never happens-I simply opined that it isn't a common problem and that it certainly isn't the "only" problem for the W 22 series, as was posted by someone above.
__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Sorry to hear that, but I didn't say it never happens-I simply opined that it isn't a common problem and that it certainly isn't the "only" problem for the W 22 series, as was posted by someone above.
From what ive seen on this site it is a reason for concern so buyer beware!
__________________
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:49 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Not sure where you got the idea about the 8.1 cracking exhaust manifolds. I don't think that is common at all. IMO, the "only" label should be applied to the Bosch brake recall, which affected ALL the W22 series chassis.
It's a weakness of most of the GM big blocks and well known. Didn't say it happens to all but it not unheard of. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. Just something to watch out for when buying a used coach.
__________________

__________________
2014 Southwind 32VS
2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X\2013 Honda CRV AWD
2015 Polaris RZR XP 1000\2014 KTM 350EXC
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
southwind, workhorse



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems with Slide Outs on Ford Chassis V10 TerryTx Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 18 06-09-2015 01:33 PM
Engine specs for Workhorse 6.5 Diesel 2006 Swedendamon Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 10 04-22-2015 08:22 PM
Finally bought our RV! 2006 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS Tom13 New Rig Show-Off! 16 04-19-2015 08:31 AM
'06 Fleetwood Southwind 32vs purchase-what to look for rogerdodger Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 6 01-19-2014 10:02 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.