Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #1

Unhappy 2006 Thor Hurricane 34N - need help with large push-out!

It’s been five months since last used & parked at outdoor storage facility. Went today to start clean-up getting ready for this year’s use. Large slide on (couch & dinette) side started to extend then stopped about two thirds of the way out. Tripped a breaker of some sorts as all coach lights went out, furnace fan stopped then within half a minute everything came back on without me touching anything. Tried to fully extend again, it would not move & tripped a breaker again. Once power restored decided to retract the slide & it did not fully retract. With about six inches still needing to come in it tripped a “breaker” ???? So now the motorhome is sitting with the large slide stuck out about six inches…….HELP…..what the “H” is going on.

Len
LGClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you running on battery power, generator power or shore power?

Do you know the power level?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Are you running on battery power, generator power or shore power?

Do you know the power level?
I was running on battery power….the motor (engine) was also running. The kitchen & bedroom slides worked perfectly. Did not check voltage of chassis battery (assuming it was probably around 14 V). We have two deep cycle coach batteries; one tested 14.7 V & the other 15.2 V
Old 02-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you try starting the generator and letting it run while you try to move the room?
Old 02-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #5

Yes I did, & it shut down along with everything else!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:27 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGClarke View Post
Yes I did, & it shut down along with everything else!
Wow...Have you looked for signs of rodents?

Hoping somebody with the same rig pops in soon with the solution.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #7

Red face Thor Hurricane - need help with large push-out - Part 2

Please see my original post of February 24th

Well today was a better day, of sorts. Same as yesterday only this time the slide extended almost all the way out with about 9” left to go before shutting down (tripped a breaker - I guess) & the generator also shut down. However today after about 10 seconds the interior coach lights came back on & the generator started up without me doing anything. I tried to retract the slide & like yesterday it almost came all the way in with about 9” left to go before everything shut down….again. Once more I tried to extend the slide & it shut down as before. BUT this time when the genny fired back up (all by itself) the slide also continued to extend & made it all the way out this time. AND that’s where I left it which is where I was trying to get to in the first place. There was no-way I was about to see if it would fully retract…that I’ll leave for another day. I would like to know why its tripping a breaker (I don’t think it’s a breaker per se) as I’m not having to manually reset it..Could someone please tell me what is happening & suggest a course of action for me to pursue?
Len
Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGClarke View Post
Could someone please tell me what is happening & suggest a course of action for me to pursue?
Len
Well, I can't tell you what is happening but if it were me this is where I'd start. Because the slide starts to move and then trips the breaker that tells me the motors are OK but overload at some point and trips the breaker. So finding out what is over loading the motors is where I'd start. I would first disconnect/inspect the wire connectors on the slide motors, clean with a brass bristle brush, spray protective coating on all connections and refasten all connectors and make sure they are tight. I would do the same to all the battery posts and wires. Since you keep this outside, moisture and corrosion could be the problem in any these areas as well as the other fella said about rodents. Maybe a slightly chewed wire. I would get on my crawler and carefully check all underneath the chassis and inspect all the wiring harnesses to see if there is anything obvious of loose wiring or rodent intrusion/activity. While I'm doing I'm right there at the slide motors (assuming you have a Rack & Pinion System) I would also spray the pinion gear & rack with a dry silicone spray and inspect them for any damage or uneven wear. It could be binding for lack of lube or possibly misalignment but I doubt that but would check it. Then I'd go inside the coach and look to make sure there isn't any obstructions or debris between the slide and the floor creating drag like a shoe or clothing or toys or anything like that. Make sure your slide locks are unlocked. Then I'd use a hydrometer and check the condition of—every cell—in ALL batteries to insure they are fully healthy. If none of these things work, I'd check for a short starting at the slide switch since you said things would just start up again without you touching anything. That thing alone makes me think something is loose, shorted, or corroded. So doing these things first will either fix it or it will eliminate those items and narrow down to what to look for next.

As I think about this more and re-read your post your MH is 11 years old and this is on the big slide and assuming your slide motors are OEM, they are also 11 years old, it may just be that they work for just a little bit as you mentioned but heat up and trip the breaker. They may just be old need to be replaced. I'm not sure how you check the amperage pull of these slide motors as they are running to see if they are over loading and pulling to many amps but I'm sure someone here can help you with that. It will be a process of elimination.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, need help, thor