Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #1

Angry 2006 Thor Hurricane 34N - need help with coach power!

We have two deep cycle batteries; one tested 14.7 V & the other 15.2 V so available power is not the issue. Problem is when I shut off the engine all circuits using the coach batteries also turn off (shut down) The disconnect switch for the inverter is in the connect position. What am I doing wrong???
LGClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 09:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you are NOT doing anything wrong.
Did the system work previously?
Any recent work done to the power system?

Normally:
With the engine running, 12v power is coming from the alternator via the battery control center (BCC) through the metal solenoid... BCC looks like:

Name:   2009-12-27_025704_31-0000635100.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  24.3 KB
Every Damon/FourWinds I ever saw had the BCC mounted upside-down.

When the engine stops running, that power stops.

The house batteries are feeding the system through the cables on the batteries.
First check those connections. If the ground cable and cross-over cables is good, focus on the positive cable.

The battery power (positive) flows through a large 12v breaker near the batteries...looks like:
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB50.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	152905

Next, the power runs to the battery disconnect (black plastic solenoid) on the BCC...then to the 12v fuse panel.

The fuses on the BCC control the BCC's functions.

If there is nothing obviously wrong from a visual check of these parts...you will need to find where the battery power is stopping. Chase the flow with a test light or meter.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #3

12 volt batteries should be wired in parallel. You are reporting different votages for each.

Did you check them with the cables off ?

You are also reporting high voltages for resting batteries. 15.2 is close to equalize voltage.

Did you check them with the shore power on or engine running ?

Have the batteries sat dead and froze ?

Somethings not quite right.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:23 PM   #4

Did not check them with cables off
The engine may have been running…..mush brain (I don’t remember)
I will be going to the RV in the morning & will disconnect cables & recheck
I don’t know what you mean by “equalize voltage”
Len
Old 02-25-2017, 12:32 AM   #5

A normal battery voltage is normally 12.6 to 13 volts.

Charging is 13.2 to 14.8 volts.

Anything over 14.8 is way to high. Some batteries can be equalized to condition them. It takes a high voltage but is not a routine thing.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK and this is IMPORTANT.
As Twinboat said...12v batteries MUST be wired "parallel".

Name:   2x12Volt.gif
Views: 612
Size:  16.1 KB
This retains the voltage at 12v.

Your FourWinds Hurricane most surely did not come from the factory with 2, 12v batteries.
It was probably fitted with 2, 6v batteries (similar physical size, but different inside). These would be wired very differently.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
OK and this is IMPORTANT.
As Twinboat said...12v batteries MUST be wired "parallel".
Attachment 152992
This retains the voltage at 12v.

Your FourWinds Hurricane most surely did not come from the factory with 2, 12v batteries.
It was probably fitted with 2 6v batteries (same physical size, but different inside). These would be wired very differently.

Best luck
I beg to differ, Our Four Winds Infinity 34-H class A (GM P-30 same series as Hurricane) had 2 12v for house batteries and 2 12v for chassis batteries (OEM).
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I beg to differ, Our Four Winds Infinity 34-H class A (GM P-30 same series as Hurricane) had 2 12v for house batteries and 2 12v for chassis batteries (OEM).
Ain't that a kick in the pants. That set-up requires 2 cross over cables vs just 1 for the 6v cells = equals higher production cost.

Is it possible the dealer added the second Batteries, 'cuz it was not OEM for the P-30 chassis?

The Original '06 FourWinds Hurricane brochure states - Option: Second house battery. Thers's nothing specific about that being 2, 6v or 12v cells.

Either way, the parallel vs. series wiring is very important and could explain the OP's situation.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The post reads like the batteries connected wrong as Twinboat and Scarab0088 stated. The volts measure is way too high to be just battery power and I suspect the measurement was taken when the charger cycled into a equalizing state. Even still a bit high for equalizing, again as stated. One thing to check is disconnect shore power and check the power to the house fuse block or output of the converter/charger. Even though the converter is shut off the output is connected to the coach DC power bus which makes for a convenient place to measure at. My suspicion is you'll read something in the 6VDC range.

Having a 2006 Hurricane 31D in the driveway I can answer a why everything worked with the engine running. With the low house battery volts as sensed by the Battery Control Center (BBC) it was routing engine alternator power to the house. My somewhat related Oops moment was having the disconnect active but on shore power so the converter was powering the house. Started the engine, disconnected shore power and drove away. Everything worked. Got to where I was going shut down and everything in the house went dark when the BCC disconnected the chassis from the house to preserve the chassis battery.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #10

Thank you for your input, however I see I am getting conflicting info from my post replies.

I purchased the RV brand new in 2006. It came from the factory with two 12V house batteries. Last summer I replaced the batteries but before I removed them I took photos so I could reference them to MAKE SURE I hooked the wiring up the same way when putting the new batteries in. I will be stopping at the RV today on my way to work & will take pics of the current setup. I will be following up all replies with pics tomorrow. Thanks again to all!
Len
Old 02-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Use your digital voltmeter, and check your battery banks with the engine off, and your converter off (both off for a period of time, like an hour). The voltage you are reading is too high, for batteries sitting in a rested state.

You don't have solar by any chance, which you failed to mention?

If they are that high, then you need to check both your converter(charger), and engine alternator. If either are charging that high, then they're probably defective (check their specs).
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, need help, power, thor