Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #1

2006 Travel Supreme, remove water from brake/suspension system

We have most recently experienced a low air reading on the front air gage and it reaches a max. of 65-70 PSI. There has been no trouble with the brakes working, nor with the leveling system. We have consulted with several dealers and individuals and they believe there may be water in the system that needs to be drained. Of course, there could also be an air leak in the front system.

Naturally, this happens on a weekend and very few dealers are open to consult with. The dealer we talked to, for Freightliner products, stated that no one in Albuquerque is certified to work on a Spartan chassis. We would need to go to Denver to get serviced and he thought it would be safe to drive to do so. He also thought the problem could be water in the system and we should be able to drain it.

Two questions: Is it safe to drive to Denver from Albuquerque to get the system serviced? Where do we find the valves to drain the air system?

Coach is serviced annually at Spartan Motors, Charlotte MI and I believe this should have been checked at that time.

We would appreciate input regarding our low air issue.

Thanks, Jerry
Lexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

At 70 lbs, your front brakes will work at 50%. I do not consider that safe.

Go to any truck repair shop, they should be able to diagnoss your problem.

It sounds like, something with your suspension leaking, seeing as it pumps up to 65 lbs, before starting to leak.

Water can affect operations of the valves, but draining it is not going to make it safe to drive.

Before air dryers, we used to pour alcohol into the system, after draining the water and oil from the tanks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #3

New Mexico Spartan service centers: Service Centers
How long since the air dryer filter has been replaced? Spartan says every 2-3 years. Meritor Systemsaver maintenance manual pdf
When we bought our MH, we had everything serviced and all filters changed to establish a base-line. A year later the air system began acting up. I crawled underneath and saw the air dryer filter was very dirty-obviously never changed. Installed a new one and the air system began functioning normally.
Your Spartan chassis owners manual tells how and when to manually drain the air tanks, even if you have automatic drain valves.
I hope you don't have water in your air system. If water enters the brake air chambers they must be replaced according to their literature.
A shade-tree method of determining if you have an air leak; have someone else start the engine while you are outside near the front wheels, wait for the purge valve to sound or your front pressure gauge to stop moving. Immediately stop the engine while you listen for an air leak.
It's possible this is as simple as a faulty gauge.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi View Post
We have most recently experienced a low air reading on the front air gage and it reaches a max. of 65-70 PSI. There has been no trouble with the brakes working, nor with the leveling system. We have consulted with several dealers and individuals and they believe there may be water in the system that needs to be drained. Of course, there could also be an air leak in the front system.

Naturally, this happens on a weekend and very few dealers are open to consult with. The dealer we talked to, for Freightliner products, stated that no one in Albuquerque is certified to work on a Spartan chassis. We would need to go to Denver to get serviced and he thought it would be safe to drive to do so. He also thought the problem could be water in the system and we should be able to drain it.

Two questions: Is it safe to drive to Denver from Albuquerque to get the system serviced? Where do we find the valves to drain the air system?

Coach is serviced annually at Spartan Motors, Charlotte MI and I believe this should have been checked at that time.

We would appreciate input regarding our low air issue.

Thanks, Jerry
Ok I have a Spartan Mountian Master chassis. Spartan used Stewart Warner electric sending units. I have changed out 4 of them since I bought this rig in 2013. They are junk. I talked to Customer service @ Spartan about warranting one that I purchased @ $84.00 and was told that they nolonger use that unit (Spartan pt#0195-GG3-009). Summit Racing, www.SummitRacing.com carries the same part and they can ship them to you. The Part # is SWW-82894. They're $56.72. I am on the list at Spartan for the new type of sending unit that I was told they were changing to when they get some in. They are easy to change. Look at the firewall in front on the left side. They are attached to the brake trundel just under the floor. There are 2 of them and they unscrew and unplug. I "T"d 2 manual analog gauges in at that point so that I can check to see if the air pressure matches the the gauges at the dash. My money is on the bad sending units. You can change them yourself. All it takes is a 7/16" open end wench and about 10 minutes. Besure to drain the complete air system with the lanyards on your tanks. I'd love to tell you my horror story but it would take too long. Suffice it to say I've been where your at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150505_231833.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	93529  
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
To change the senders, you would have to drain the system of any air and hence water.

Draining water is your current goal.

There are most likely manual drain pulls at each wheel position to open a moisture drain. Spartan should know how they are arranged on your chassis. Call them.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
To change the senders, you would have to drain the system of any air and hence water.

Draining water is your current goal.

There are most likely manual drain pulls at each wheel position to open a moisture drain. Spartan should know how they are arranged on your chassis. Call them.
Look in the right front wheel well. There are 3 lanyards. Red, Green and silver or white. They have hoops at the end. Those operate the manual drains for the air system tanks. You'll need a rod to hook on to them. Use your window shade rod. It works perfect. Pull and hold until all air is expelled on each one of them. If you have moisture in you system you'll see it underneath the rig. Any truck repair place can service your filter/dryer. I would suggest if it hasn't been serviced in the last 2 to 3 years is it needs it done. When I bought my coach a year and a half ago I decided to do it myself (replace the desiccant/filter). I found it was the original still on the coach so it was around 7 years old and still functioning normal but this rig has always been in very dry climates. My money is still on bad sending units at the trundle peddle (brake peddle). BTW I spoke with a customer rep at Stewart Warner and they wouldn't even talk with me about those units so they know they have a problem.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, suspension, travel, travel supreme, water