Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2006 Winnebago Voyage 35A

Hi everyone. DH and I are shopping for a new to us MH and found the above on Craig's list for 52,500. Nada low is 62,956 and avg. Is 75,850. Spoke to the owner and rig is in Az and will be in town Abq. this weekend so we can see it. Owner is 2nd and says he has all PW from 1st. Tried looking up info on here but didn't find much. Can anyone give us any good, bad, ugly or any positive feedback including is this a fair price. What to look at and for. Not sure if the owner is neg. at all, didn't sound that way on phone but one never knows. If we are interested I hope to be able to test drive but owner will be using it. Maybe before they leave town but if a good thing would like to get asap. Any help and advise would help tons. You all rock here with advise and help.

Thanks in advance
Shaz
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have the functionally equivalent Itasca. We love the layout with the opposing LR/Kit slideouts. We use ours to snowbird 4-5 months per winter and find it to be very open. The 35A has huge holding tanks for a gasser, so this helps when we stay at State or National parks with limited hookups. The '06 may have been built with a 5 speed Alison instead of the current 6 speed, but we still see mpg's around 7.5-8 towing our car. Here are some things to watch out for or possibly change out:

1. GVWR is 22K, with optional 24K--this would be nice to have, especially if the washer/drier is/will be installed. I have 22K, but my axles are rated at 23.5K. If it has the 22K, make sure the brakes underwent the recall. There should be a Workhorse sticker under the hood for the recall notice completion.

2. Standard power is 30 amps with 50 amps optional. I just finished upgrading to 50 amps (circuit breaker box & transfer switch can be configured for either, thus reducing costs).

3. The water pump/valve bay IS NOT heated. I added vents and a 110V drop light to keep this area from freezing.

4. The tires may be original (from 2005?) and may require replacing.

5. Thermopane windows are optional...nice to have.

6. A 6 gallon water heater is standard with a 10 gallon optional. 10 gallons is required if the MH has the washier/drier installed. It comes with motoraid as standard, which heats the H/W while driving off of the engine. The motoraid is also used to heat the entire coach, so propane heat is not needed, while driving.

7. You may want to upgrade the converter/charger to a "smart" charger for better battery charging. Winnebago also uses dual 12V batteries, which I changed out to twin 6V CG-2 for longer boondocking times without gennie recharging intervals.

8. The TV's were CRT, unless they have been change out to modern LCD. An analog-digital converter is needed to watch TV if they are still CRT.

9. A 5500 watt generator is standard with 7000 watt optional. My MH works well on 5500 watts.

There are probably more things, but this should be a good start.

Good luck, Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fran,
Thank you so much. The info is much appreciated. We knew about the recall on the brakes. The owner said they just replaced tires and all batteries. Not 100% sure what mods have been done. We printed the brochure to read and go through. I like the FP and duel front slides. DH is a wiz at doing work repairs and anything else that needs done. We are looking forward to see this unit.
Shaz
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
Old 07-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandshaz View Post
Fran,
Thank you so much. The info is much appreciated. We knew about the recall on the brakes. The owner said they just replaced tires and all batteries. Not 100% sure what mods have been done. We printed the brochure to read and go through. I like the FP and duel front slides. DH is a wiz at doing work repairs and anything else that needs done. We are looking forward to see this unit.
Shaz
IF this coach is on one of the Workhorse chassis that was recalled for Bosch brakes, you will want to VERIFY that the recall was completed before you purchase it. If completed, there will be a date code stamped into the back side of each caliper, just below the casting number that is molded in the casting. You can visit and search the Workhorse forum here on iRV2 for lots more WCC info. Good luck.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's an '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A. It's at PPL in Houston, TX. You can use it as a comparison.

2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A for Sale - A187 - PPL Motor Homes

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #6

Shaz, we have a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A. My wife loves the floor plan and I cannot get her to look at any other layout. Her standard answer is we have more room and more counter space than anything I've seen so far. We are on W24 chassis with 6speed. Just did 4000 mile top this spring and leaving tomorrow for 2500 mile trip. We have owned this about 20 months and put 12000 miles on it. We updated the TVs just recently. New tires and batteries when purchased, had pressure test done and found few leaks and they were sealed. We are ready to go! Good luck and hope this works out for you.
Tom
Old 07-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TomandGloria,
You said you had a pressure test done, on what besides the propane. The more I look at this the more I'm liking it. Just need to see it in person to know 100%.

Anyone know if the prices on PPL are firm or is there wiggle room. We are not near their locations and would need to take a road trip. Hate buying something like this sight unseen. Murphy follows us around a lot.
Thanks
Shaz59.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Check around windshield for signs of water leaks and rust or repairs. Check dates on tires (should replace after 5-6 years ). Check engine coolant and hoses. Check batteries for age and state of charge. Check ceilings, floors and walls for any water damage.
jputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #9

Hi Shaz, sorry a little late responding. Been on the road and just stopped. We had a leak where front cap, roof and sidewall came together. Not all the time, so we couldn't figure out where the water was coming in from. The service center used a process called seal-tek and pressurized the inside of Motorhome and then squirted soap around seams, windows, doors etc. that was how we determined where water was coming from. Also had all windows, etc resealed. Just came thru rain storm on I40 heading west. Not one problem. Hope this helps.
Tom
Old 07-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you TmandGloria. It's never to late to get information.

We saw the unit yesterday. Very uncomfortable looking at something when it's being lived in. I feel the asking is too high. There are issues. Cracked windshield, cracked counter top, rip and Hoke in the drivers seat on the top right shoulder corner. Shower needs work. Since it's being used I feel it would need a deep cleaning. Lots of carpet that does not thrill me so that needs a carpet cleaning company. So asking is 52k, still interested but at about 10-12k less. Might call and make an offer.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Anyone know if the prices on PPL are firm or is there wiggle room. Thanks
Shaz59.
As someone who has sold a coach thru PPL, I can tell you the seller ALWAYS has control of the final pricing.
When first listed, PPL suggests what they think you should "ask", and the seller tells them his mimimum price. PPL is obligated to tell the seller about any valid offers they receive, no matter how low. If they don't get ANY offers, after ~30 days, they start "suggesting" the seller agree to reduce his UNDISCLOSED minimum price, so they can then advertise a new lower listing price. Generally, their listed price is higher than the seller's minimum, because they get a % of the sale and higher is better for them, too.

If PPL receives an offer above the seller's mimimum, it is "automatically" sold, without even consulting with the seller, and the seller receives a check for the sales price minus the PPL commission.

To be clear, I was pleased with how they handled my sale (painless for me) and would use them again. Ed
Old 07-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you Ed. That is helpful information. We are gun shy to buy anything sight unseen. Houston is a long drive 13 hours but something we are thinking about doing. I did see on their sight where we can do a good faith deposit as well ad pay them to do an inspection. We can't go down there until the first week in Aug so we are still searching Abq till we can go to them and also the MHSRV place also in Houston. If anyone has information about the buying experience through PPL it would be great to hear about it.

Thanks
Shaz
Old 07-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you Ed. That is helpful information.... We can't go down there until the first week in Aug so we are still searching Abq till we can go to them and also the MHSRV place also in Houston. If anyone has information about the buying experience through PPL it would be great to hear about it.

Thanks
Shaz
SHAZ: While I think MHSRV is another good place to see both used and new coaches, I think you'll find they are in Alvarado, TX. which is much closer to Ft. Worth and several hours drive from Houston. I've been there, and really liked their no pressure environment, but I can't recommend trying to do both dealers in one day. Also, PPL has recently open a second lot near San Antonio, but I've not been to that one.
Happy Shopping!
Old 07-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I saw the other location on San Antonio. My daughter lives in SA so we will look at both sights. All 3 are not doable in 1 day will take several. Sighs, so much looking to do.

Tags
voyage, winnebago