Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #1

2007 Newmar KS - acceleration concerns

We are in the process of buying a 2007 Newmar Kountry Star, 3910, with a 400hp Cummins diesel engine. We test drove it; it shook like crazy and we discovered the front tires are shot. We noticed that the acceleration was VERY slow while trying to get up to speed after entering the Interstate.

We test drove a different 2007 Kountry Star, 3912, with a 350hp Cummins engine. The shaking was considerably less, but we noticed the acceleration was significantly better in spite of the smaller engine.

Any thoughts? We are new to RV'ing and have no experience with this.

Thanks!

Robyn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #2

Robyn,
I would reconsider that rig. I have a 2008 KS 3910 and couldn't be happier. No shimmies because of proper alignment and regular maintenance. That 400 Cummins when properly maintained is a very nice power plant. I'm sure many on this forum will agree with me.
It sounds as though the previous owners might have not properly maintained the rig. Too bad I think it is a great coach for the $$$. Take it to a reputable RV mechanic and have it inspected. The $400 or so you spend could save you thousands!

Rickmc & Moski
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3910, ISL 400 HP!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
i have an 07 KS 3916 with the same 400HP engine. It takes a while to get it going but I don't find it sluggish the way you're stating. You're not really specifying how long it took to get up to speed but for me, I'm sure it's less than 30 secs to go from a dead stop to highway (60mph) speed. Also, I have no shaking of any kind. The ride is really smooth.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #4

Thank you both for the information. I would say it took about 30 seconds to get to 60 mph. It just seemed like I had the accelerator floored and, to the rig, it didn't matter.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynM039 View Post
Thank you both for the information. I would say it took about 30 seconds to get to 60 mph. It just seemed like I had the accelerator floored and, to the rig, it didn't matter.
That's typical in my experience. The shaking, not so much. That's bears looking into.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
My biggest joke whenever I give say a family member a ride in the RV, I go, ok, hold on, I'm going to floor it. Then….nothing…it's 31k+ pounds trying to move from 0 to whatever. It just takes time
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RobynM039,
The shaking must be corrected. It could be the tires or worn front end parts. The slow acceleration may be caused by one's lack of experience with a diesel motor coach. They do not accelerate, they gain momentum. Like a freight train. My coach is an older version of what you are considering. My coach has a smaller engine than what you are considering. The gaining momentum is quite a bit slower than a gas fueled coach. After 99K miles, my coach remains as smooth as glass at all speeds.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #8

I haven't clocked our 2005 Dutchstar with a 350 Cat but it takes off like a rocket. I am sure we can accelerate from a dead stop to 65 in at least 45 seconds. No shaking with our rig so that needs to be looked into before you buy. Annual maintenance is a must for any RV and should not be neglected. Best of luck on whatever rig you end up with.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #9

Shaking or vibration is not normal . If speed is what you are looking for find a MH with an ISX 600.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:47 AM   #10

It was shaking so bad, the cabinets were shaking. Upon inspection, both front tires were badly worn. It's being inspected now by Dealer (North Trail RV in Ft. Myers). Re: speed - I thought the sluggishness was par for the course, but then I drove the one with the 350hp and that's when I noticed the difference. We're finalizing the deal until we are satisfied. Even if we have to consider a different rig.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
We're finalizing the deal until we are satisfied. Even if we have to consider a different rig.
I hope you meant you are NOT finalizing the deal until you are satisfied
Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #12

Oops! *Meant NOT finalizing the deal under everything is fixed.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #13

My husband says the tires were worn on the outside which meant the rig is out of alignment. He called it "toed". Maybe I spelled that wrong.

You know what, it's probably me, I drive a 2014 Yukon XL almost every day and it rides like a Cadillac. Maybe I expected the MH would ride similarly. The first one we drove, with the really bad shaking, shook so badly the decorative sofa pillows repeatedly bounced to the floor.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Robyn welcome to irv2.
If your going to keep the KSDP here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
Com_net is close will get owners guide for you when its back on line.
Meanwhile below in my signature you will see links to many more links for your to be Newmar.
Maybe the ride height needs adjustment also, info in QT's 1 & 2.
Good luck with dealer maybe a welcome to Newmar family also.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar