Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Another vote for CC. We have close friends with a 1998 Magna. Still looks new,rides great. If the records are there to support the obvious visual inspection coupled with a third party qualified survey, your in for one fine coach.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
.....When were the rigs last moved and how often? Diesels seem to suffer if they aren't driven around for 1/2 hour or so every month, the last I heard. Many of the discussions I read indicated that just idling them in storage doesn't get it done and may actually generate more problems.......
Letting a diesel sit does nothing to make it "suffer". Your comment about letting a diesel idle in storage applies to any internal combustion motor. If you are going to have the coach idle for a number of months, it is best to let it sit if you can't drive it a number of miles to get ALL systems up to operating temperature..

If I had the choice between a CC or a Tiffin, it would be a CC for me. I have looked at Tiffins and there are some things that are done on the cheap. Don't get me wrong, Tiffin makes a nice coach but CC built them better but then again I am kinda biased.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #17

One thing to consider on the CC is does it have a CAT C-15 engine? Cat was getting out of the highway diesel market then and there are a number of lawsuits over the C-15 engine.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Find out which floor plan the D/W likes best. If she hates one floor plan that makes the decision easier.
Interesting answer. Versus no Rv? Good point. Country coach for sure but tread lightly If she does not like it?

The zephyr is made to sell to gals
Old 12-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #19

I would go with the Magma. Much higher quality.
Hookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB-One View Post
One thing to consider on the CC is does it have a CAT C-15 engine? Cat was getting out of the highway diesel market then and there are a number of lawsuits over the C-15 engine.
I can understand CAT wanting to get out of the highway diesel market because of their inability (or unwillingness) to comply with current emissions controls regulations. I am not aware of the lawsuits over the C-15 engines. Can you expand on this?

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookum View Post
I would go with the Magma. Much higher quality.
+1 Way more coach.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #22
srh

Newmar Owners Club
2008 Country Coach Magna or 2010 Zephyr

I want to thank all of you that chimed in. Each and every one brought up good points that one ought to consider when making such a decision - that is another reason why irv2 readers care and share their thoughts.
As an update I wasn't really at a point to make a buying decision now, but it is my understanding that the CC is being sold to CCI (Country Coach Inc.) out in Oregon. It had Cummins 600hp engine not a CAT. The Zephyr may have also been sold - I'm not exactly sure.
Thanks, again, for every one's input!!
Regards to all
Old 12-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #23

For dons2346

Per B Bob "One of my best friends bought a Dutch Star that had sat for 18 months waiting to be sold. It took him two years to get the lot rot out of it."

Per F14av8r "I'd be leary of a diesel that hasn't been run regularly if the owner can't produce solid maintenance records....Your diesel needs maintenance and it needs it when either the mile or time values are reached. Filters age and fluids deterioriate over time, regardless of the number of miles run. I've seen air filters that were literally sucked into the engine because the binding straps on the filter media became brittle and let go of the media. Those are expensive repairs... you disregard the manufacturer recommended schedule at great risk. And, I won't buy a diesel from anybody that can't demostrate they've followed the schedule - time or distance, whichever comes first....Finally, here is a heads up. If you buy a unit that has sat on the lot for awhile, make sure the dealer did the time related maintenance that was specified by the chassis manufacturer. If not, you may be in for a big surprise when you go for your first service and find out you have quite a bit of catch up work to do."
==================
Whatever you do or not do, is fine with me.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #24

CC for sure, super unit!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I want to thank all of you that chimed in. Each and every one brought up good points that one ought to consider when making such a decision - that is another reason why irv2 readers care and share their thoughts.
As an update I wasn't really at a point to make a buying decision now, but it is my understanding that the CC is being sold to CCI (Country Coach Inc.) out in Oregon. It had Cummins 600hp engine not a CAT. The Zephyr may have also been sold - I'm not exactly sure.
Regards to all
Most, if not all the coaches for sale by Country Coach are on consignment. They do have a 2008 Magna on their website.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I can understand CAT wanting to get out of the highway diesel market because of their inability (or unwillingness) to comply with current emissions controls regulations. I am not aware of the lawsuits over the C-15 engines. Can you expand on this?

Jim
Just Google "Cat C-15 Lawsuits" and you'll get pages of results. From my reading it appears that many 2007-2010 C-15 and C-13 engines suffered repeated costly internal engine failures. The lawsuits even include a class action filing.

Here's a link to one article: At Least 15 Lawsuits vs. Cat on ACERT Diesels Include Trucks, Buses - News - TruckingInfo.com
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:24 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Regards to all
The Country Coach folks in Junction City, OR sell coaches on consignment so that is probably the case. You can check their website for the coaches they have and they do have several Magna's. Another great source for clean, well maintained CC's is Premier RV which is next door the CC in Junction City.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #28

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I guess I'm a little prejudiced in this discussion. Although I would not hesitate to get into a Zephyr, the CC is a higher caliber of coach. There will not be a great deal of difference in technology between the two although there might be some.

The one thing that would be nice with my Magna would be to have all electronics updated, but then again mine is 2 years older than the one you mentioned.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote