Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
2008 Fleetwood Excursion Alternator Froze - Warranty?

Funny thing happened today, the alternator froze and snapped the serpentine belt causing a tow of the coach back home (luckily, we were on the way back and only 5 miles away).

My question is: Being it's a part bolted to the Cummings 8.3 would it fall under their 5 year warranty or is it considered not part of the engine thus falling under the Freight liner warranty which is expired?

2008 Fleetwood Excursion with 35K miles on it.

Thanks
Gary

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I can't answer your question about Cummins coverage but had a turbo go just prior to the 5 year mark and they covered the cost without any problem. I don't know about an alternator.
I do have a question. I also have twice had my problems with a ISB alternator in my a Freightliner DP. I had the original alternator go at 27,000 miles. Its replacement just froze up after a 4K trip also about 5 miles from home. Each time alternator broke was after driving long distances in "heavy" rain. I have a theory that the reason the alternator failed--in both instances-- was because of excessive moisture from rear tandems inducted into the alternator from rain spray at rear of coach saturating alternator. Just wondering if you were driving in heavy rain sometime prior to your problem? Also
an open question to anyone else who has experienced this failure.
Good luck.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Dry as a bone that day, infact living here in the desert I believe I have only driven twice in the rain and rain here is typically not heavy. I am leaning towards problems within manufacturing and quality control. I do remember that when you purchased a diesel powered rig, you expected the rest of the accessories to be Heavy Duty and to last like an over the road truck, appears to be no longer the case.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
"My question is: Being it's a part bolted to the Cummings 8.3 would it fall under their 5 year warranty or is it considered not part of the engine thus falling under the Freight liner warranty which is expired?
"

Cummins does not ship the motor with an alternator installed. It is not included in their warranty.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie406 View Post
Dry as a bone that day, infact living here in the desert I believe I have only driven twice in the rain and rain here is typically not heavy. I am leaning towards problems within manufacturing and quality control. I do remember that when you purchased a diesel powered rig, you expected the rest of the accessories to be Heavy Duty and to last like an over the road truck, appears to be no longer the case.
There will be a number of failures in anything that have moving parts. Your failure came sooner than the norm I would say, but the same part may last way past normal for another.

You pays your money, and takes your chances, I'd say your last sentence comes from emotion, not fact.

Ed
USN Ret.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
There will be a number of failures in anything that have moving parts. Your failure came sooner than the norm I would say, but the same part may last way past normal for another.

You pays your money, and takes your chances, I'd say your last sentence comes from emotion, not fact.

Ed
USN Ret.

After spending some time researching a possible failure condition, it appears that the rear radiator rigs have a higher engine bay temperature and could be a leading cause to overheating the alternators. I currently have the Leece Neville 110775P 170 amp unit and I am considering replacing the unit with the Delco 8600316 unit which produces 180 amps has TWO cooling fans and is a direct replacement. As for failing and taking your chances I believe that coaches built today are based mostly on profit and low bid vendors as in reality my coach should IMHO have been supplied with the 200+ amp Delco Remy 40SI, larger alternator, direct bolt on and would have to work less to achieve the necessary amperage and thus run cooler and last longer but the cost of the 40SI is twice the cost of the 28SI. I think my biggest concern is that when the alternator froze and snapped the serpentine belt there were absolutely no dash board indications, no battery light, no stop engine light, and no indication of overheat on the engine coolant gauge and of course I had zero water circulation as the serpentine belt also runs the water pump.
Gary

Tags
alternator, fleetwood