Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

2008 Tiffin Phaeton RV42QRH

We just placed our fully-loaded Phaeton on various free RV sites for test purposes right now. Has anybody any experience which of the RV sites is best for selling by owner. Also, just in case it becomes to cumbersome to handle the sale on our own, has anybody put their RV into consignment? We have enjoyed RV-ing, but out of health-reasons we need to sell. [moderator edit] Any help would be highly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trader has provided me with the most qualified responses. Sounds like your RV will readily sell. I would try to sell as a package but advertise to selling individually as well.

I would sell it yourself instead of consignment. It's not hard to DIY.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trader worked for me.

Careful with consignment. At least in my experience:
  • You are only going to hear the story from the Dealer wants you to hear, and the buyer is going to hear a different story.
  • If you have a nice rig, they like to advertise it a lot to draw in buyers, but then steer them towards one they own because yours is "on consignment and there is very little wiggle room on price".
  • Typically, you never hear the offers from the buyers, unless the dealer really wants to clear it off the lot.
  • Some consignments are based on percentage, etc, but it's kind of a front. Rest assured they are going to aggressively make as much money on your consignment as they would if you traded it in, mostly by driving down what you are going to get out of the deal when the money hits the table. You will never hear the truth about what the buyer actually paid.
  • Additional costs - beware if the additional costs that can come in the deal - buyer wants new tires, new awning, etc. You pay retail for those items and the Dealer installs them at his cost, or maybe doesn't even install them at all because he lied about it being a condition of sale.
I don't want to make it sound like all Consignment Dealers are rotten, but in my experience through a very well known CO Dealer - I learned a ton when the new owner found some paperwork in a cupboard with our name on it and called my Dad by mistake out of the phone book to ask some technical questions. Through a very friendly chat (and the guy loved to talk) my Dad learned what the guy paid (the Dealer made 65% profit instead of the 12% he quoted me), and the new owner never got any of the 6 tires I paid for, nor the new entry door........ and he bought it a week before and the Dealer still hadn't notified me it sold. Needless to say, it was an interesting conversation when I went in to collect my check, and yes, he cut a new one when the conversation was over.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #4

Consignment?

WOW! I recently contracted Bretz RV in Billings concerning consignment vs trade in and the salesman didn't (or wouldn't) tell me what they charge for consignment. He also said in his experience you are better off to trade it in than sell on consignment.

What is the truth? Who knows!
Old 10-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeanne View Post
We just placed our fully-loaded Phaeton on various free RV sites for test purposes right now. Has anybody any experience which of the RV sites is best for selling by owner. Also, just in case it becomes to cumbersome to handle the sale on our own, has anybody put their RV into consignment? We have enjoyed RV-ing, but out of health-reasons we need to sell. Our RV is in immaculate condition with all the Tiffin and maintenance Paperwork, only 35,864 miles, diesel generator has only 170.5 hours, one original owner, non-smoker, purchased new on 10/4/2008 and the motorhome was always stored in our RV Garage unless we were on the road. We are also considering selling our Phaeton only or as packaged deal including our tote with towing package including RV Air Brake System (2008 Saturn Outlook) and 4 RV Memberships (Thousand Trails/Naco VIP, Western Horizon, Colorado River Adventures Silver and Coast to Coast Deluxe). Any help would be highly appreciated.
Have patients and try it yourself.

RVT.com and RVTrader.com seem to have the most action.

Craigslist.com is FREE!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:48 PM   #6

Tried to sell our Winnebago Ultimate Freedom several years ago on consignment at North Trails in Fort Myers. Coach was in top shape, we cleaned it top to bottom, had Dazzling Detail- wash and wax before we took it in. Several weeks later, interior was filthy, carpet dirty, some broken Cabinet doors. Never Again would I consider consignment.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:38 AM   #7

Thanks so much sharing your experience and your suggestions. I really appreciate your report.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:15 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
If you go consignment get it clearly in writing on how and when you will be paid. I sold a FW through consignment once in Florida and actually had to threaten to show up with a sheriff's deputy to recover my "stolen" FW before the dealer finally paid me several weeks after the unit had been sold. Thankfully that dealer is out of business but in the case of consignment "let the seller beware"!
Old 10-13-2016, 01:07 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr08Bill View Post
Tried to sell our Winnebago Ultimate Freedom several years ago on consignment at North Trails in Fort Myers. Coach was in top shape, we cleaned it top to bottom, had Dazzling Detail- wash and wax before we took it in. Several weeks later, interior was filthy, carpet dirty, some broken Cabinet doors. Never Again would I consider consignment.
Yep!! That's the reputation North Trails has. They deal in high volume and extremely low quality.

They seem to thrive in this way.

Tags
tiffin