Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #1

2009 Winnebago Adventurer or 2014 FR3 or ACE?

Looking at a 2009 Winnebago Adventurer 32H with all the options. The price will be only slightly less than a new 2014 Forest River FR3 30DS or a Thor A.C.E. 30.1. The Adventurer has less than 18,000 miles, seems clean, can't see any evidence of leaks but has a couple of aging issues (awning seam failing, rust bubble on drivers door, still has original tires). We plan on some extensive travelling in the near future as I retired in January. We hope to park for a couple of weeks at each destination and use the toad to explore. We plan to use National park type camp grounds.

So the issue is older quality vs newer entry level but with a warranty?

What would you do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
Looking at a 2009 Winnebago Adventurer 32H with all the options. The price will be only slightly less than a new 2014 Forest River FR3 30DS or a Thor A.C.E. 30.1. The Adventurer has less than 18,000 miles, seems clean, can't see any evidence of leaks but has a couple of aging issues (awning seam failing, rust bubble on drivers door, still has original tires). We plan on some extensive travelling in the near future as I retired in January. We hope to park for a couple of weeks at each destination and use the toad to explore. We plan to use National park type camp grounds.

So the issue is older quality vs newer entry level but with a warranty?

What would you do?
You didn't say which chassis is under the Adventurer, and that would be a major consideration for me. Also, I think the 09 adventurer will have the basement A/C, and I'll just say you need to VERIFY it is working correctly. Mine has been "problematic" and a big disappointment. Beginning with the 2011 models, WBGO stopped using them.

I've read some "horror stories" about the quality of the Thor Ace, and I know nothing about the FR product. A new warranty is "nice", but leaving a coach for weeks or months waiting on warranty repairs can be a real bummer.

All that said......buy the one your wife likes best! Life is too short to do otherwise.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I'd opt for the Adventurer, but I would expect to do better than a 'slightly' better price.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #4

Its on the ford F53 chassis. The owner seemed to really like the basement air feature. Said the performance was great. What problems have you had with yours?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

I think you will find that the Winnebago Adventurer will be of much higher quality construction than the newer ACE by Thor.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #6

My vote would be for the adventurer it is much better build quality and better engineered overall but I may be a little biases. I looked up the price of a 2014 ACE 30.1 on MHSRV had it going for 86K, you should be able to get that adventurer for quite a bit less than that.

As far as basement air goes, it is more than good enough for a 33' coach. You need to look at the ductwork that runs up up behind the end cap. It is prone to having the taped seem come undone and therefor you will be air conditioning the outside of the coach. It's a simple fix IF you can get at it. I remove my passenger side brake light assembly to access mine and still it's pretty tight. Other people have had to remove the back cap which is a big job. Also check the filter, they seem to get dirty very quickly and having only one small filter I find myself changing it almost monthly during the summer months.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #7

Well the deal fell through. Too bad. What a nice coach.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #8

I looked very hard at Winnebago but after reading about all the windshield issues and a Winnebago dealer even telling me this has been a huge problem for them, I now steer clear of their products in my search for a Class A. Its a shame really as other than that I really like their products.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #9

I am really surprised by that. I have been to their factory and have seen how the windshields are bonded to a steel frame with non-hardening sealant, typical to the way most cars are done. Most other RV manufacturers just install it to the fiberglass cap with a rubber molding. These tend to leak a lot due to the fiberglass flexing as the coach moves. I think everyone should your the Winnebago plant as well as other manufacturers before they purchase. You will really see what a big difference there really is.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have no idea what windshield issues you are talking about. I can only speak of my personal experience of buying a slightly used 2011 Winnebago 39N. I looked at and drove Fleetwood 35B, Looked at Thor Palllazzo and ACE. After 5 miles on a test drive in the Winnebago the others weren't even in the same balll park. The Winny I have rides and drives like a dream and the quality is evident throughout. The Fleetwoood 35B and the Thor products were cheap junk in comparison. No offfense to those that may own them, but one year and 7,000 miles later I love my Winnebago DP., awsome machine! Good Luck!
Old 03-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #11

I don't want to appear as a trasher of Winnebago. Here is a link to one case. If you search in the owner's forum for "windshield rust" you will find out why I am nervous about the product. I don't wish this on anyone but felt the occurrence was often enough that I should look elsewhere for my first MH.

Link to One Windshield Rust Case
Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I don't want to appear as a trasher of Winnebago. Here is a link to one case. If you search in the owner's forum for "windshield rust" you will find out why I am nervous about the product. I don't wish this on anyone but felt the occurrence was often enough that I should look elsewhere for my first MH.
Actually the occurrence isn't all that common and the fix is not that hard according to two large dealers that I know. My coach lived most of it's life in the soggy pacific NW and has no problems but even if it did I would be still be pretty happy with it because ALL coaches have certain bugs. Even the new Entegra's have had recalls and had to send service reps to all owners to fix roof leaks. Tiffin's have the infamous "three" problems and now their newer roofs are bubbling. Newmars, Monaco's, Country Coach, Coachmen, Thor, etc etc do a forum search and you will see problems that only their coaches seem to have and that the designers have a hard time fixing.

The bottom line is if this worries you so much you can easily get repair records to see if any have been done on the coach you are looking at OR you can take the inside trim cap off in a minute or two and look for the tell-tale rust. And guess what there is no perfect coach with a perfect record, they are all rolling earthquakes on the road and things shake, rattle and break as you move them down the road.

StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, winnebago