Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Question 2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G questions

Hi all;

Did a little RV lot sleuthing today and ran across a 2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G.

*This particular coach boasts a single slide front to back on the passenger’s side.

*Has a bathroom floor plan that is essentially wide open and easily modifiable for a wheelchair.

The coach in question has the 380 hp 8.3L Cummins engine which I happen to be partial to and Fleetwood’s “Power Bridge” chassis with ABS air suspension.

The coach also has all of the available options in it and is discounted down to an asking price of $189k down from $249k and still “new” setting on the lot. Does demo foot traffic count??

Of you who have any experience or knowledge of this model coach, I am looking for all comments positive or negative. Knowledge is Power is a phrase that comes to mind.

In particular, does the extra long, full length single slide out have any bad features to watch out for?

One negative is only 2 a/c units, is that enough for 100+ degree days?

AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It is pretty much industry standard to equip 40 footers with only two ac/s. I doubt if you will find a 40 with three a/cs. Mine are marginal for really hot days - it stays about 80 inside at 102-105 degrees and the a/cs run constantly - but they are 13.5kbtu heat pumps. 15k models would be a bit better, I think.

The Discovery is a good middle of the line coach. Above the entry level but not a high dollar rig. The full wall slides work pretty good. You might check the Fleetwood Owners forum here for more input from other Discovery & Fleetwood owners.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

Thanks Gary,
Appreciate the input. I did go over to the Fleetwood forum and put in a post there also.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #4

My dad bought a 2011 Expedition 38b which has a very similar floorplan. The only downside is that if you have the sofa bed out you can't get from the back of the coach where the bedroom/bunks are without climbing over the corner of the bed. Be sure to look at this when evaluating the unit. His as the 360HP ISB engine with 800 ft-lbs of torque and it has plenty of power for the relatively flat east coast.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #5

Confusion, thanks for that tidbit. In my particular case, the bunk beds would actually be a computer desk and overhead cabinet storage. Also, the bathroom walls in the center of the coach would be gone/totally removed.

Need wheelchair access to the bedroom/bathroom/living areas.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #6

It sounds like this floorplan would be great for you. I do have a couple of other thoughts that I wanted to share.

1. The full wall slide, when extended, makes access to the basement difficult. I learned on the first outing that you have to be really careful or you will injure your back. The full passthrough storage is nice but be sure to spring for the sliding trays as those would have made a huge difference.

2. Have your dealer check the condition of the slide seals as well as the alignment of the slide. We had some heavy rain on the maiden voyage and as soon as I pulled out of the campsite and pointed the nose downhill at least 2 gallons of water poured onto the front passenger seat. Luckily my copilot was outside helping maneuver out of the campsite or she would have been soaked. Water had somehow managed to collect on top of the slide even though it does have the slide toppers.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #7

We bought a 2010 Discovery 40G a few months ago and are very unhappy with it (yes, we have contacted Fleetwood). It is back in the shop for warranty repairs and Fleetwood has even flown techs in to take a look at some of the issues. We feel the product quality is sub par, there is a lot of rust on the under carriage, frame, and body despite having the undercoating. The water tanks over flowed and water was pouring out of the heat duct leading to the holding tank area despite the sensors reading 1/4 full. Also, the A/c is not adequate to cool the motorhome.
The local techs in conjunction with Fletwood have found that the full wall slide is too heavy for the number of rollers it ships with. Fleetwood is currently installing additional rollers to off set the weight as it extends and retracts at an abnormal angle. Unfortunately, the interior rollers have damaged the tile with scuffs and scratches. Due to the abnormal extention angle, when the full wall slide goes out, it slams down when it finally gets to a certain point and has broken the rear portion of the bed frame/box and that has to be re-built also. We have also noticed pitting under the paint all over the exterior which is being addressed.

Don't get me wrong, I love my motorhome and the floor plan suits us just fine, but when you are making an investment like this, the quality should be much better. Feel free to contact us off-line if you would like any more info.

Julio & Linda Schrodel
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G with lots of love
Florida
Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #8

John,

Before we bought our Country Coach we looked at almost new Fleetwoods with the full wall slide. We really liked the layout and the tremendous feeling of openness. Both my wife and I also felt very comfortable driving the Fleetwood. It would be my opinion that you would have issues keeping the coach cool above 100F. We have three airs on top of our 42', but we also have a lot of thick insulation. Does Fleetwood insulate their coaches well, I don't know. Spend some time on the Fleetwood section and see what they have to say. You might check Yahoo groups too they have many specific motor home make forums.

It is my opinion that many large class A motor homes have problems the first couple of years. If you buy one thinking it will be like buying a Honda or Buick you will be unprepaired for reality. If what you need is a trouble free motor home, consider buying one 3+ years old that the bugs are worked out on. Many times things happen to owners lives which causes them to sell. Heck my last classic motor home I poured tens of thousands of dollars in to and hundreds of hours work and sold it when the to do list was done. I needed a project to work on. It has taken me a year to debug my current ride. Exactly what I expected. I don't want to sell this one.

Final comment. We like Fleetwood. But when we looked at motor homes that had 25,000 miles on them they seemed "worn". The standard woor, carpets, counter / table tops and so on just don't hold up. And that is similar to all motor homes in this price range. If you step up a level to better motor homes that are a little older you will get much more durable fixtures. Our motor home is 8 years old and the paint looks new. It has spent it's life outside. One of my friends just had to paint the top of his five year old cheaper coach because the clear coat was peeling off. Our counter tops are all solid. We have solid wood cabinets / no laminated wood or vanier. Our floor coverings are very high quality. We paid significantly less than you are planning to.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #9

Thank you one and all for very honest and succinct information.

1) yes, I must have a coach that is relatively trouble free. My health is not good after having a 18 wheeler try to kill me while riding my motorcycle. I get out of breath in less than 10 minutes of any physical activity. (do I still ride motorcyles? Hell yes, you still drive your car after an accident don't you?)

2) Thanks for the slide out issues/rollers info especially.

3) The rain problems I had been warned about, but the factory should have had that issue dealt with before coach leaving the factory floor.

You have all been very good and the wife and I have now decided that factory new is not all it is cracked up to be.

Also, we both have been having a very hard time trying to justify the horrific depreciation of newer coaches. We have worked as slaves all our lives and our 401k is a finite, non-renewable resource. Once it is spent, there is no more.

Our retirement income is fixed and just barely modest. Social security for both, and a small defined pension for me.

So, with all of the above considerations, we are thinking of not buying a Class A coach at all. We already own a 1998 Dodge Diesel 4x4 1 ton dually truck. It has been upgraded for more power and load carrying capacity.

So, it is back to bumper pull trailers for us. She can't handle a 5th wheel in a wheelchair. The TT I can deal with much easier, no extra motor/drive train maintenance expense; no extra fuel expenses (above my truck that is); no extra MH insurance required.

I think the fiscal reality has ruled out a MH for us. Reality is a cruel world sometimes.

Thank you one and all.