Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2011/2010 Winnebago Adventurer Price?

Hi Everyone -- new to the forum and considering moving from a 5th wheel to a class A. We have been traveling this summer and talking to many class A owners along the way. The most frequent recommendation -- and most positive -- has been the Winnebago Adventurer. The 35 floorplan would work best for us. I don't want to buy new but do want one not more than two or three years old. I have seen a few ads at times for used 2010 and 2011 models.

I need help knowing what a reasonable price would be. NADA puts the "low retail" of the 2011 around $100K and the 2010 around $85K. Average retail is $15-$20K more for each.

What is common in the market now -- are people paying near "low retail", below this, or above this?

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMChad View Post
Hi Everyone -- new to the forum and considering moving from a 5th wheel to a class A. We have been traveling this summer and talking to many class A owners along the way. The most frequent recommendation -- and most positive -- has been the Winnebago Adventurer. The 35 floorplan would work best for us. I don't want to buy new but do want one not more than two or three years old. I have seen a few ads at times for used 2010 and 2011 models.

I need help knowing what a reasonable price would be. NADA puts the "low retail" of the 2011 around $100K and the 2010 around $85K. Average retail is $15-$20K more for each.

What is common in the market now -- are people paying near "low retail", below this, or above this?

Thanks for sharing your expertise!
While this isn't a direct answer to your question, you should know that 2010 was the last model year that WBGO used the "Coleman" basement A/C on the Adventurer /Suncruiser models. Beginning with the 2011 models, they went to roof-mounted units. FWIW, I would pay "more" for the 2011 JUST to avoid the basement A/C. The downside to the 2011 models is that you can't get the Workhorse chassis with Allison transmission, because they had to use Ford exclusively since Workhorse gassers were no longer available.

Welcome to iRV2.com.
Ed

Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray

While this isn't a direct answer to your question, you should know that 2010 was the last model year that WBGO used the "Coleman" basement A/C on the Adventurer /Suncruiser models. Beginning with the 2011 models, they went to roof-mounted units. FWIW, I would pay "more" for the 2011 JUST to avoid the basement A/C.

Welcome to iRV2.com.
Ed
We just purchased a 2010 adventurer 35p floorplan.......the coach is in near new condition with all the bells and whistle.......yes the 2010 is the last year for the basement a/c, having just traded in our previous coach w/air condition on roof, you don't realize how efficient the basement air is and quiet. (No more water running down the side if the coach)
Maintenance on a basement a/c unit is the same as you would on your home unit.......reason for the change to roof units is the change by the EPA requiring a different refrigerant to the basement units, so instead of changing to the new stuff, they decided to go back to the original roof units. What is really nice, the roof is so much cleaner in uncluttered.
As for the price, you get what you pay for, buy from a reputable dealer and you won't be disappointed .....like I said, the coach we purchased was in excellent condition and was purchased from lazy days......(our third coach from them).
Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have an 06 38J (39') and just had our first true "cruise" in last week's 100*+ temps. We were out in the open (NO SHADE) with our dark paint scheme so our AC was non-stop and temps in the coach got up to about 85* in the hottest part of the day. The air flow through out the rig was good so it didn't feel bad. We thought the noise level was very acceptable. We will have the system looked at to verify that the cooling system was working properly. I would think a slightly smaller rig like a 35' one would do a little better with a smaller area to cool down. BTW...during the day we did close the vents in the bedroom, hallway and closed the door at the galley to help keep the living room area cooler. We did NOT close the vent in the bathroom. I've never owned a coach with overhead AC so I can to say if this is comparable or not but a newer Tiffen next to me reported similar results.

We really like the amenities of the adventurer line. I have no reason to dislike the W24 Workhorse chassis either.

Keep in mind that the basement AC certainly appears to proportionately add a bit more weight to the rear axle compared to roof top AC rigs. Make sure you get good data on the rig's weight figures to know where it stands. However, having the basement air lowers the center of gravity compared to roof top AC units which is good.

The 07 and later models come with the 6 speed Allison tranny versus my 5 speed. DANG IT! LOL

Also, keep in mind that the 2010 came with several chassis configurations including W22, W24, FRED, and 2 F53s with GCWR ranging from 22,000-27,000.

http://media.gowinnebago.com/models/...r_brochure.pdf
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Ed -- thanks for the info regarding basement air. I have talked with people that have both systems and happy with both, but have also read about issues with the basement air on this forum.

Also, the Ford chassis, engine, and and transmission appears to be very solid -- I don't have any concerns about this and owners have shared very positive feedback. I also like that a single manufacturer is responsible for it all -- no finger pointing that can happen otherwise.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the info! I have seen the various configurations in 2010 -- lots available to keep track of, including a two vs three slide version. Winnebago said they moved away from basement air because the room was needed for the newer diesel engines -- guess they didn't want to deal with two separate systems on their diesel and gas product lines.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #7

FWIW we have recently traded our 32' Brave with two roof a/c units for our current 35' Voyage (one step under Adventurer) with basement air. We were recently out in 90+ full sun. The basement air we found to be more efficient than our previous roof units and are very happy with it. Kept our temps down in the low 70's for us all day. They are known to have had problems with the duct work in the rear cap seperating, but repairable with some proper taping. We actually chose this one because of the Workhorse 8.1 and Allison combination.

Sounds like you have chosen two very nice rigs. In your case I would go with the one that seems to fit your needs best and you are most comfortable with.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 08 ,35L adventurer with F53 and basement air and I chose the basement air because it is more efficient than rooftop a/c because the unit is not at 110-135 degrees like it is on your roof due to sun, and I think 15,000 - 20,000 off a low retail price would be a good price, you can get some perks,like in motion sat. Or a free extended warranty that starts when your regular warranty ends, they like to deal with perks.

Enjoy your winne adventurer floor plan .
Old 07-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Any thoughts on how to use the NADA price estimates when buying used? Is the low retail a good target, too low, or too high?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #10

It really is a buyer's market right now. The NADA guides are just a guideline, starting point. I believe it is PPL Motorhomes that publishes the sold prices for units they have sold. Recent sales prices are always a better guage of pricing. In my case, we purchased ours in May this year. It is a 2007 with 25,000 miles and loaded with almost all the optional features.Tires are in great condition, but now 5 years old and will need to be replaced soon. Our out the door price including sales tax, 5 year extended warranty policy was about 37% under the dealer's asking price. The asking price was just a tad higher than NADA high retail. We felt we got a fair price. An added benefit, we were also given the contact information for the previous owner. We were able to confirm all service records and any deficiencies through him.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the fourm
We are on our 2nd Adventurer, we purchased a new 2000 38G and enjoyed it until we purchased a 2007 Adventurer 38T in 2010. Both have basement air and we have never had any problems. Camped in the Bad Lands, 100 degress plus and we were very comfortable. We do like the 6 speed Allison Trany, and the workhorse is wonderful. As said before it is a buyers market, go to a dealer you can trust and get your best price.
Good luck and happy camping
Herb, Mar and camping dog Lucy
Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Tom & Barb -- thank you for the information. It is very helpful -- sounds like about a third below high retail worked for you.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Also, good tip on PPL -- I'll check this out.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have owned 5th Wheels with ducted roof air 13500 BTU) and now a used Itasca wit basement air. The roof air worked just great in the summer in South Carolina Hazy Hot Humid Heat and actually froze us out of the 5ht wheel. We set it for 70 and it kept it there w/o fail.
Yes they have gotten away from basement heat/AC but as long as the roof system is ducted properly it should work just fine.
With these 2 & 3 roof mounted systems, don't be suprised if yuo have to run them on low or maybe even not run them all. You don't want to freeze the unit up.

Tags
winnebago