Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #1

2011 Fleetwood 40G Clarion GPS

We took delivery of our new 40G and I was shocked that the GPS had antiquated maps(2009 data) so I checked with Clarion's website to see that 2011 maps are available for download if I pay $95.00. I went back to the dealer and asked them to engage Fleetwood to provide the update as part of a new purchase.

I was disappointed when I was told NO buy the Fleetwood rep, the Customer Relations rep and his manager. I do not understand why they are willing to anger a new customer for 95.00!

Is my request for the updated maps unreasonable?

TNT-FLY
Argyle, TX

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT-FLY View Post
We took delivery of our new 40G and I was shocked that the GPS had antiquated maps(2009 data) so I checked with Clarion's website to see that 2011 maps are available for download if I pay $95.00. I went back to the dealer and asked them to engage Fleetwood to provide the update as part of a new purchase.

I was disappointed when I was told NO buy the Fleetwood rep, the Customer Relations rep and his manager. I do not understand why they are willing to anger a new customer for 95.00!

TNT-FLY
Argyle, TX
TNT-FLY,
Your name is odd but short

I would write Good Sam magazine and state my case. If they publish your gripe then Fleetwood would pay and not want negative coments. You have a legitimate gripe and should be taken care of under warranty and Fleetwood should contact the gps mfg. for reimbursement.

Steve

Old 06-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Your request is perfectly normal. I asked why our MH came with only 25 gallons of fuel..."it's company policy." As I left I told him: "that's fine, but for a few bucks you have one customer who is highly PO'd and will not say good things about your dealership." So when I left the dealer's lot the first thing I needed was a big rig fuel station.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #4

Same thing happened to me out dated gps by one year on the other hand I got a full tank of fuel plus another tank when I used that up plus matching rug and 2 recliners. So I really wasn't to made about gps.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have 2010 Discovery with the same software. I just purchased the download, but it is really not user friendly. I had to pull the radio out to get access to a USB cable behind the radio. So I bought a 3 ft USB extender and ran it down to my access panel. I believe on the 2011 model, there is a USB drive near your window shade buttons. When in tried to load the software off of a thumb drive, it gave me an error message that there is not enough memory on the radio. So now I have to all Clarion. BTW, Horizon Nav makes the map upgrades and you cannot talk to anyone, email only. Very frustrating.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT-FLY

TNT-FLY
Argyle, TX
Here is an update to this original post. I just got off the phone with "Brian" a Customer Relations Manager with Fleetwood and "Ori" from Clarion. They were kind enough to let me know the following... The mapbdata comes from "Teleatlas" and there has been no "map data" update since 2009 and if there had been an update, they would have provided it for free. I told them both that I find it hard to believe that Teleatlas doesn't update their map data more frequently. They informed me there are POI updates but map updates are every "couple of years or so..."

I told the I was going to contact Teleatlas and check. They then told me that if they had new data it wouldn't work on the Clarion unit until Clarion formatted it to work on the Clarion units! But atbthis time no map updates are available from Clarion.

In my opinion, this business practice and R&D cycle will expedite the demise of Clarion and GPS units for IPADs and Slate PCs that update on the go with Wi-Fi or cellular data.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood or Clarion must change their vendor from time to time because in my 2010 Discovery, the map software in my Clarion is Horizon Navigation. They just released an update a few months ago. The last update was 2009. I am still having problems updating the map software. I am better off with my IPad or my Garmin.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our Revolution came with the Clarion radio/GPS too. The radio reception is crap. I can't imagine a GPS less user friendly, not to mention a GPS installed in an RV with no campground category. What's up with that? My feeling is the entire unit is an afterthought. 'Had to put something in the dash and we got a good deal from Clarion.'

After a couple hours of frustration trying to figure out the Clarion GPS I went and got our old reliable Garmin 2720 and stuck it up on the dash, right over the OEM useless unit. Once we go full time we'll be upgrading to something with RV specific features.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Affects My Buying Decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT-FLY View Post
We took delivery of our new 40G and I was shocked that the GPS had antiquated maps(2009 data)...

TNT-FLY
Argyle, TX
Heck no.

It sounds like the Clarion GPS is worthless, no matter how fresh the database is.

The industry should put a trucker database GPS in all rigs; anything less is almost criminal: my Garmin NUVI is diabolical in its efforts to get me wedged in a place with insufficient clearance, horizontally and vertically.

(We're just down the street from you, drove a new Discovery with Tom Yancey at Ancira yesterday, loved it. Except for the narrow aisle between sofas enroute. Our Excursion has something like three feet; the new one is a foot or so... We took a crowd of WWII female pilot vets on a 4 hr trip recently, they loved lining up across from one another, chatting, snacking and drinking mimosas en route. Were we in the Discovery, it would have been a nightmare of tangled legs competing for a slim strip of floor down the middle.

But, wow: the 2011 Discovery floated down the road like my neighb's $1 million Prevost. A spectacular ride. And, aside from that WalMart-esque telescoping plastic dining table, the furnishings are high quality.

Another thing Fleetwood has figured out: how to have a mid-cabin TV that is not hidden behind a slide, underway. How competitors could make a blunder like obscuring a TV with a retracted slide is a mystery.

Let us know how your initial experience goes: the new Fleetwoods have been at the top of our list, when we decide to upgrade.)
Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2

Heck no.

It sounds like the Clarion GPS is worthless, no matter how fresh the database is.

The industry should put a trucker database GPS in all rigs; anything less is almost criminal: my Garmin NUVI is diabolical in its efforts to get me wedged in a place with insufficient clearance, horizontally and vertically.

(We're just down the street from you, drove a new Discovery with Tom Yancey at Ancira yesterday, loved it. Except for the narrow aisle between sofas enroute. Our Excursion has something like three feet; the new one is a foot or so... We took a crowd of WWII female pilot vets on a 4 hr trip recently, they loved lining up across from one another, chatting, snacking and drinking mimosas en route. Were we in the Discovery, it would have been a nightmare of tangled legs competing for a slim strip of floor down the middle.

But, wow: the 2011 Discovery floated down the road like my neighb's $1 million Prevost. A spectacular ride. And, aside from that WalMart-esque telescoping plastic dining table, the furnishings are high quality.

Another thing Fleetwood has figured out: how to have a mid-cabin TV that is not hidden behind a slide, underway. How competitors could make a blunder like obscuring a TV with a retracted slide is a mystery.

Let us know how your initial experience goes: the new Fleetwoods have been at the top of our list, when we decide to upgrade.)
I have a 2010 40G.. Do yourself a huge favor and put that $95 into a trucker or RV GPS. That Clarion is a huge piece of junk. The routing is terrible, and it will get you in big trouble if you follow it blindly.

Tags
fleetwood, gps