Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #1

2011 Thor Sorrano. Any suggestions

I appreciate everything that I have learned about Tiffin MH. However I have a very bad taste in my mouth with all the games that dealers are playing with the new Breeze models. Having only "display" models and writing orders with a 12 week delivery time, even a few dealers were willing to "Sell me their "sample" fir full price if I really want it badly enough.

I also have signed to their company forum to read directly from current Tiffin owners. From what I am hearing is that the company is experiencing serious growing pains; and production cannot keep up with demand, interior "quality control suffers. True Bob Tiffin is a legend in this industry but with his sons running the majority of the company and it's major decisions, I worry......

Finally their floorplan(s) and interior "style" is not as cutting edge.

The THOR ALLEGRO and the A.C.E.(both FRONT engine diesel) seem to provide a newer look that my family is attracted to and the fit-and-finish appears to be very good, but what about the coach itself? Does anyone have any recent experience with these products?????

ANY help is appreciated.
wlc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc109 View Post
The THOR ALLEGRO and the A.C.E.(both FRONT engine diesel) seem to provide a newer look that my family is attracted to and the fit-and-finish appears to be very good, but what about the coach itself? Does anyone have any recent experience with these products?????

ANY help is appreciated.
I'm guessing you mean Thor Serrano (like in your title), not Allegro (which is a Tiffin line)?
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #3

Yes thank you for the correction: Thor Serrano.
wlc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I also have signed to their company forum to read directly from current Tiffin owners.
If you're talking about the TRVN (Tiffin RV Network), it actually does not have any connection or affiliation with Tiffin Motorhomes.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #5

Quote:
I appreciate everything that I have learned about Tiffin MH. However I have a very bad taste in my mouth with all the games that dealers are playing with the new Breeze models. Having only "display" models and writing orders with a 12 week delivery time, even a few dealers were willing to "Sell me their "sample" fir full price if I really want it badly enough.

I also have signed to their company forum to read directly from current Tiffin owners. From what I am hearing is that the company is experiencing serious growing pains; and production cannot keep up with demand, interior "quality control suffers. True Bob Tiffin is a legend in this industry but with his sons running the majority of the company and it's major decisions, I worry......

Finally their floorplan(s) and interior "style" is not as cutting edge.

ANY help is appreciated.

Research, Research, Research. If you don't like to work on these things yourself find a dealer with a good reputation. I think both coaches have a lot of promise but in this economy it seems build quality has taken a beating. There are some wonderful features in the Serrano, the floor plans are very functional and comfortable. The storage is just awesome. The engine/chassis looks very good, much like the Breeze but the coach is also lacking in quality in some areas as well. You have to decide what is important to you. We looked at the breeze in our search and had some issues there as well. There is a lot of information on this site if you poke around and several happy owners of the Serrano even though some of us have had more then our share of niggeling problems that should have been caught prior to delivery. I'm going through that stage now without the help of a good dealer but hope soon to be a happy Serrano owner as well. We hear that Thor has rolled out a new and better customer service recently that will be a good thing if it happens.
Whatever you decide on enjoy it, life is short!
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #6

Hi, I just signed up to this forum today. Sold my fifth wheel two years ago hoping to sell my home and go full time, it hasn'thappened yet but as soon as house sells I am looking to buy a Serrano MH
Is there any more feedback on serrano? Funny I am also considering allegro red and I don't like the feedback on tffin either
Ancabuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't know anything about Thor but just sold a 2011 allegro bus that I had less than 6 months. All kinds of problems. Major structural issues....sagging water tank floor, slide problem, steps rubbed tire on hard left turn to name a few. Others two years old are having cracked roofs and sidewalls and now some Phaetons have been recalled for fire hazard. Never a Tiffin again!!! Also check TRVN for major issues with the Breeze.
Jafundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #8

Thanks

Wow! Thanks for the reply, it is good that I am not quite ready to jump on a deal, great that I found this forum. It is already proving very valuable!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #9

FWIW, I don't think the Breeze and the Serrano are comparable, except possibly for length. Admittedly, most of my "focus" has always been chassis related, and therefore I want to point out that about the ONLY thing these two coach's have in common is the motor. Both use the Maxxforce 7 diesel. The Thor is on a Workhorse W20D FRONT engine SPRUNG chassis with hydralic brakes, and the Breeze is on a Tiffin assembled "Powerglide" chassis-a true REAR pusher with air ride and air brakes. IMO, those differences are HUGE, and taking a test drive of both should help you decide which is better for your intended use.

I can't comment on the build quality between the two manufacturers, because I don't have any personal experience with either, but I'm somewhat surprised to read all the criticism of the Tiffin line in this thread. Legions of Tiffin owners have historically bragged about the quality and the "make it right" attitude, especially if returned to Red Bay for service.

Here on iRV2.com there are owners forums for both brands. Plenty of reading available for those doing their homework! Good luck. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancabuild View Post
Hi, I just signed up to this forum today. Sold my fifth wheel two years ago hoping to sell my home and go full time, it hasn'thappened yet but as soon as house sells I am looking to buy a Serrano MH
Is there any more feedback on serrano? Funny I am also considering allegro red and I don't like the feedback on tffin either
The Thor Serrano has more pizazz than Thor's Avanti (probably why they sell more), but they are both front engine diesels. The Serrano has the Navistar and the Avanti has the Cummins. The deal killer for me would be the 40 gallon tank in the Serrano. The generator won't run when the tank gets down to 1/4 full so you need to be at 1/2 to be safe. The Avanti has a 60 gallon tank and only a 3.2 kw generator-no problem there. I prefer the Freightliner chassis over the Workhorse, but just my choice.
What I'm getting at is don't let the floorplan be the only selling point-look under the hood and let that count the most. The Allegro Red is a hands down better deal, but yes Tiffin does seem to have some problems at the present time. If price is not a problem, and you like the Serrano look check out the Monaco offerings.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe
The Thor Serrano has more pizazz than Thor's Avanti (probably why they sell more), but they are both front engine diesels. The Serrano has the Navistar and the Avanti has the Cummins. The deal killer for me would be the 40 gallon tank in the Serrano. The generator won't run when the tank gets down to 1/4 full so you need to be at 1/2 to be safe. The Avanti has a 60 gallon tank and only a 3.2 kw generator-no problem there. I prefer the Freightliner chassis over the Workhorse, but just my choice.
What I'm getting at is don't let the floorplan be the only selling point-look under the hood and let that count the most. The Allegro Red is a hands down better deal, but yes Tiffin does seem to have some problems at the present time. If price is not a problem, and you like the Serrano look check out the Monaco offerings.
Thanks for the input, I like the fact that navistar are the only ones not using the DEF fluid it seems to me that that can become an issue after a while I have look at the Monaco and the floor plan is almost identical to the Serano. Seems thet with the housing market in the shape that it is I have plenty of time to study and decide.
Thank you very much
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would place the Tiffin in a class above the Thor personally.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #13
HHg

Serrano

We bought our 2011 Serrano almost a year ago. My experience while somewhat limited (we have only owned one other M/H) is that the number of issues/problems we have had with the Serrano was WAY more than our previous unit (both units bought new) I would not recommend the Serrano,....unless you have a factory authorized service center VERY NEAR. Just my 2 cents worth !

HHg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thor owns a number of brands, Damon and Mandalay for example, that seem to be consolidated under the Thor name. Our first coach was a Damon Outlaw. It was a nice coach, with minimal issues. Descent quality. In looking at the specs for the Serrano, I didn't see an inverter listed. Without that, you would either need to run the genny or be plugged in to get AC power and I'm not sure I'd want to full time without that capability. I learned this from experience, in that we ran the generator of our outlaw often while running down the road to get 110 volt power.

I'd recommend getting a gently used unit than new. Most people buy them with grand plans and then never live up to them and sell their unit. This could get you into a diesel pusher a little higher up the food chain that has a lot more things that would be better suited for full timing.

The other thing is you learn so much of what you like and what you don't in that first coach, that you may be looking to upgrade in a couple years to get things like bigger tankage, inverter with a few house batteries, better storage and things like that. We 'outgrew' our Outlaw in 2 years as we learned what's available and what other things we wanted in a coach.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote