Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If they're willing to replace the wall and you don't want to take it back what is your solution to the situation? If you have one in mind did you let them know what it is?
Tell them to deliver you another unit that has been quality control inspected and pick up there own junk, why should you have to spend your time taking it to the factory?

rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #30

If you go over to the Tiffin forum you see people constantly taking their rigs back to the Red Bay, Alabama factory regardless of where they live. One poster spent 75 days in Red Bay waiting on repairs. At one time there were over 150 rigs waiting for repairs at Red Bay. So it isn't just a one company issue.

If Forest River is willing to make the needed repairs/replacements, then go to Elkhart and get things resolved. I have found them to be willing to try to make things right with their customers.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tiffin a "buy direct from the factory" operation?

I thought that they don't have a dealer network, and that since folks buy from the factory that's where warranty work is done.

There are some other "no dealer network" brands with a similar setup, but Forest River certainly isn't one of them!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You're wrong.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #33

Who has the time, money, or inclination to traipse across many miles to go back to the factory? While I might have the time, I don't want to use it that way. Not everyone is retired and can free up the time to get there, especially if they live a long way away, not to mention fuel costs.

I agree that it's ridiculous that manufacturers aren't doing a better job of quality control. Support after the sale is certainly a positive thing for a company's customer service rating, and, therefore, a good reputation and better sales (as we hear so often about Tiffin), but to expect consumers to travel to the factory once, not to mention numerous times, and then stay for 75 days, is ludicrous.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponyboyace View Post
the rig is a pure nightmare ...and to top off the fws is no longer being made due to DESIGN flaws,,a direct quote per forrest river.....but they want to replace my floor in the FWS and make it better......take it to indiana during the height of nj camping season and place another 2k miles on the rig.....teething problems???,,,....poor quality work.....seals not inspected ,windows rattle, batteries being drawn dead because of a bad...isolator.....mirrors damaged ...shades that don't .work....bad full wall slide per forrest river......out of the current 4200 miles ..I only used the rig 1k....the rest was running back and forth for repairs!!!!!
Don't worry, CampDaven says your issues are just "a pleasant dream.". Very sorry to hear you are having all these problems. When I had paint issues with my Itasca, I was given $1000 for fuel money to return the coach to Forest City for repair. Now that is service!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
You're wrong.

Thanks, Cliff!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post

Don't worry, CampDaven says your issues are just "a pleasant dream.". Very sorry to hear you are having all these problems. When I had paint issues with my Itasca, I was given $1000 for fuel money to return the coach to Forest City for repair. Now that is service!
Not a pleasant dream, as it turns out. Sorry for that.

Knowledge of the issues have gone far beyond what was known when I commented.

I went to Elkhart. They treated us like royalty. All issues resolved in 3 days. 75 days would truly be a nightmare.

Best wishes to the OP for satisfactory results.
Dave

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tiffin a "buy direct from the factory" operation?

I thought that they don't have a dealer network, and that since folks buy from the factory that's where warranty work is done.

There are some other "no dealer network" brands with a similar setup, but Forest River certainly isn't one of them!
Tiffin has a dealer network and you cannot buy from the factory. However you can get repairs done there.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyons View Post
It is just sad that the american workmanship has deteriorated to the point that we accept it as the norm. They throw these things together with little care and then say, oh well bring it back to us and we will fix what we should have built right in the first place. I would be very pissed if I spent the outrageous amount of money they charge for a new motorhome and then couldn't use it because of poor quality.
I totally agree. Furthermore, personally speaking I get tired of the "that's the way it is" comments as though it is no big deal to drive thousands of miles to get necessary repairs made.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #39

I hope you sue this company for at least twice times the purchase cost. The only thing that will make these companies responsible is to take away the dividends from their shareholders...The price earnings soar.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #40

We just spent ten days in Fl. shopping for a used MH. I am a beginner in the MH. segment, having spent the last dozen years owning various travel trailers. Since my wife is severely disabled, we have very specific needs regarding interior layout. Since a typical salesperson has about zero interest in listening to what your needs are, and often little product knowledge, I had to take a short trip through hundreds of units to eliminate them from the list. After the first few quick trips through full wall slide models, it became clear that many of these units, in the 5-8 year old range, were in trouble. It was almost the norm to see evidence of roof leakage, typically dead center of the opening. I also noted poor sealing on exterior gaskets when the slide was closed, and even one with gouging in the ceiling fabric that appeared to be caused by the top of the slide. In fairness, the Fleetwood products seemed to have the most issues. Just curious? Are there many sucess stories with the whole idea of a full wall slide? Are issues more prevelant in the lower end gas segment? Is it a good idea to avoid the whole concept?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #41
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Slate Run welcome to irv2.
If in need of a Handicap Motor Home take a look at the link, may find on line older coach's of this type.
Link also has other information for handicap situations.
Good luck in you quest.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1571784]Slate Run welcome to irv2.
If in need of a [URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/handicap-canyon-star-3911-wheelchair-accessible-unit-104880.html
Handicap Motor Home[/URL] take a look at the link, may find on line older coach's of this type.
Link also has other information for handicap situations.
Good luck in you quest.
We actually solved that problem. We found a really well cared for '04 Journey 32T. Our biggest issues are access to a usable shower, (no narrow doors, or high step in height) and how the bed is laid out. IF we need more accomodation for her needs, it would be a lift to get in and out of the rig. At this point it doesn't look like will be an issue in the near future.

Thanks for the welcome.