Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #43

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
Welcome to the world of Forest River and the Berkshire low quality builds.
WOW, quite a bold statement that owner posts don't seem to support. If you go to the Forest River Forum they have a section specific to Berkshires and while most posters have issues they have no more than any other manufacturers. Most of the posters would and do recommend Forest River Berkshires as a good bang for the buck coach.

I have the same coach as Jim and have had a few issues. None as severe as Jim's. Most of my issues were not the result of Forest River but the result of not so great warranty work by the dealer! The most severe problem was the fact that the front Dometic AC failed 2 times in the first 6 weeks of ownership. Forest River authorized and paid the dealer to replace my unit, the first time, by taking the exact same AC unit off of a brand new Fleetwood. This put me on the road a week sooner than if I had to wait for Dometic to ship a new unit. Now we didn't know it at the time but that unit failed also after 2 weeks. Now what did Forest River do? They immediately called me back up and asked me if I would like to take it to a local dealer for repair? They had Dometic go all over the 3rd replacement to insure it would not fail and the express shipped it to my local dealer. (This was not the dealer I purchased it from) 3rd one is the charm and has worked without issue for the last 14 months! Forest River even followed up after a month to make sure it was working to my satisfaction.

Is a Forest River Berkshire the best built coach out there. No it isn't, but it doesn't cost $400,000. In fact if you paid more than $200,000 you made a salesmans year!

For what you pay for a Berkshire you get a ton of value and a company that is there for you when you have problems. I have a summer place 2 hours north of the factory so I started taking my coach there to get the little things fixed.

Jim, It doesn't sound like your issues have been solved and you seem to have more than the norm, however if you take it to the factory, my experience has been that they will treat you right and they will fix things. I know it a pain to travel there, but they will do in a day what would take your dealer weeks to do. They also do it right the first time!

Let me know if you need a good factory contact person.

Marc

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
Two thumbs up for FR customer service.... Again - not a $500K rig but not many will give you the bank for the buck a Berkshire does....

We are MORE than pleased with ours....

Old 05-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all for you opinions here..I think the full wall slide is the message here and quality control...THE STAFF HAS SAID there will be no more of these made as there was a flaw in the making.....not made properly ...not enough rollers and they have discontinued the model...FYI stay away from these because of same.....this is the message ..pleanty of bang for your buck with a berkshire ....however hard for me to judge having only placed aprox 1k miles of my 4600 on the rig...the rest were travel to nj and back and forth to the dealer ....I have talked with other owners who have had many issues with there slides and have had to have taken back to indiana......THAT REALLY STINKS>>> QUALITY CONTROL!!! thanks all ..I wish u all none of this and best of luck with your rigs!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:28 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ps **having a rig on a freightliner chasis with a diesel ...still cannot be beat in my opinion....cummings with allison transmission clearly is the best!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #47

Forest River Owners Club
Jpony.....

Sorry you've had such a tough time with your new rig.... Can't blame you for bring totally ticked off.... Hopefully your trip to the factory will give you a rig you can finally get some enjoyment out of...

As far as the FW slide goes.... I've heard horror story after horror story about them.. On the surface they sound like a great idea but with the massive size and amount of weight being moved, it take so little to totally throw one out of sinc... Once that happens you are screwed... Give me four slides any time...

Again - good luck and safe travels when you get her fixed...
Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
leaves ya feelin pretty bad about the berkshire....however I really like the style of the 39bh...
Old 05-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
glad to hear ...really thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
tryin to get back to the 4 slides /....wow what a lesson!!! thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jponyboyace View Post
ps **having a rig on a freightliner chasis with a diesel ...still cannot be beat in my opinion....cummings with allison transmission clearly is the best!!!
Oh..Don't get me started about Cummins!!! I'll be posting up some info once all of the dust has cleared....
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Back in the days before the bankrupt Monaco I had an issue with my Signature. The paint had orange peel in it and I was not a happy camper. I made a couple of phone calls and Monaco sent a driver to me in VA and took the coach to Elkhart and corrected the issue... Then they brought the coach back to me and delivered it clean and waxed with a full tank of fuel....Now THAT was service... Oh the good old days...

Ask FR to come and pick up your coach and fix it... They will say that they can't do it, but keep "pounding" them on it and see what happens.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
FRIENDS HAVE 2012 40' berkshire. Water heater problem, slide dealer could not fix, electrical wiring (tv cable situation), driver window ratle, slide cable problem. company drove it from Salt Lake City to plant and returned. Was fixed but took 1 year. Call warranty guy at factory (randy) and demand repair and warranty extention--my friends got theirs extended) also, let Warren buffet know...I bet he has no idead!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Aparently 1 800 my lemon could'nt wait to get this.....nightmare....to continue...
Old 05-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
Sadly, there has been a marked decline in quality on almost every company's product that Warren Buffet (the owner of Gieco Ins) has taken over. True, he has a great reputation for buying nearly bankrupt companies, and turning them into profit centers. Cheaper components, lower wage workers inevitably lead to this.

Ironic that your Berkshire carries the name of Berkshire Hathaway, Buffet's investment company............mmmmmmmmm.
It's not Warren. It's QC at FR. I bought new a Georgetown 05 back in 04 and went back to the factory 3 times for leaks ,leaks and leaks, jacks , drawers falling apart, ruptured hydraulic line in the bedroom, new floor etc., etc., etc. They back up their work and paid all expenses, travel and hotel. After a year of this we traded for a new Kountry Star. We had minor problems but never had to go back to the factory.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #56

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizprocoach View Post
I hope you sue this company for at least twice times the purchase cost. The only thing that will make these companies responsible is to take away the dividends from their shareholders...The price earnings soar.

Funny!!

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote