Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jponyboyace
Aparently 1 800 my lemon could'nt wait to get this.....nightmare....to continue...
I see you live in New Jersey. You might be interested in reading http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/ocp/lembroc.pdf this discusses what the NJ Lemon Law covers. Please keep us posted how this progresses.

Mike

2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #58

It's not JUST the QC issues. As college instructor said in a class I took some years ago "A perfectly built Yugo is still a Yugo". To me, the problems the OP is experiencing are more a case of poor engineering, design and development as much as (if not more than) QC. Was there no endurance testing done on that full-wall slide before it went into production? First owners don't get a big enough price break to do the manufacturer's product development testing.

On my Georgetown, I can see many examples where engineering was inadequate and the shop floor guys dreamed up their own fixes. The house wiring is the most obvious of this. It's just one kluge after another. White wires are used for most grounds, other times they're the hot wire. On some runs, wire nuts tie white and green together. I know it's not mods by the original owners (from whom we bought the rig) as they had almost no "fix-it" skills and had CW or Poulsbo RV do all their maintenance and repair. I think Poulsbo was the original selling dealer.

Overall we've found the motor-home to be adequate for what it cost us to buy as a used vehicle. We are just about to take a $1400 hit because the Swedish-made Dometic fridge has died. The rig goes to the shop tomorrow! That's the only significant problem we've had in 3 years of ownership.

Sure it rides like an 11-ton box truck. That's because it IS one! We'd rather live with it and spend the money on gas and CG fees than trying convert a pig's ear into a silk purse.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
2012 berkshire

It's just a lack of true craftsmanship and pride in building a good product. The problems my friend had with their 2011 Berkshire 39+ footer has been ridiculous. It's just another by-product of production line "move it along" mentality. Doubt it will change as all manufacturers want to make the max big bucks and to hell with the customer.

Kent 03 Holiday Rambler 38' Cummins ISC 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank damp View Post
It's not JUST the QC issues. As college instructor said in a class I took some years ago "A perfectly built Yugo is still a Yugo". To me, the problems the OP is experiencing are more a case of poor engineering, design and development as much as (if not more than) QC. Was there no endurance testing done on that full-wall slide before it went into production? First owners don't get a big enough price break to do the manufacturer's product development testing.

On my Georgetown, I can see many examples where engineering was inadequate and the shop floor guys dreamed up their own fixes. The house wiring is the most obvious of this. It's just one kluge after another. White wires are used for most grounds, other times they're the hot wire. On some runs, wire nuts tie white and green together. I know it's not mods by the original owners (from whom we bought the rig) as they had almost no "fix-it" skills and had CW or Poulsbo RV do all their maintenance and repair. I think Poulsbo was the original selling dealer.

Overall we've found the motor-home to be adequate for what it cost us to buy as a used vehicle. We are just about to take a $1400 hit because the Swedish-made Dometic fridge has died. The rig goes to the shop tomorrow! That's the only significant problem we've had in 3 years of ownership.

Sure it rides like an 11-ton box truck. That's because it IS one! We'd rather live with it and spend the money on gas and CG fees than trying convert a pig's ear into a silk purse.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodbob View Post
It's not Warren. It's QC at FR. I bought new a Georgetown 05 back in 04 and went back to the factory 3 times for leaks ,leaks and leaks, jacks , drawers falling apart, ruptured hydraulic line in the bedroom, new floor etc., etc., etc. They back up their work and paid all expenses, travel and hotel. After a year of this we traded for a new Kountry Star. We had minor problems but never had to go back to the factory.
Just so that you know, Berkshire Hathaway didn't even acquire Forest River until late 2005 and the company's quality control does seem to have improved markedly.

I don't discount Jim's problems, but Forest River has been working to get better and they seem to be making progress. When I look at Tiffin and their engineering issues and their current changes in how they handle repairs I'll take Forest River any time.

At the price point that Forest River is at for most of their products, they still seem to be ahead of much of their competition on quality. Hopefully they will continue to work with Jim and get his situation resolved.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am happy to hear of some with the good luck of ownership without any major problems....there were tooooo many to list however and when the rep admits to me this was a flawed design???...well I guess we just took the guess work out of this conversation!!!! The 36fws has been discontinued!!!...hello...I have asked for a new 39 which was the same price in 2012.....well we will let the lawyers work this out!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #62
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
what is your solution to the situation? If you have one in mind did you let them know what it is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jponyboyace View Post
The 36fws has been discontinued!!!...hello...I have asked for a new 39 which was the same price in 2012.....well we will let the lawyers work this out!!!
Thank you for the update.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #63

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I am happy to hear of some with the good luck of ownership without any major problems....there were tooooo many to list however and when the rep admits to me this was a flawed design???...well I guess we just took the guess work out of this conversation!!!! The 36fws has been discontinued!!!...hello...I have asked for a new 39 which was the same price in 2012.....well we will let the lawyers work this out!!!
No major issues with my 2012 Berkshire 360FWS. It has been a great coach once we got the front AC fixed.

Who at Forest River told you it was discontinued due to a design flaw? Would be good info for my file.

Thanks!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #64

Quote:
we went through the same thing with the thor serrano. The extended warranty company said they wouldnt repair bad engineering. So the serrano lasted basically 2.5 yrs also and discontinued.
We had to dump it , so we traded it in and took the hit and never looked back, except to warn others. Very happy now
Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post

we went through the same thing with the thor serrano. The extended warranty company said they wouldnt repair bad engineering. So the serrano lasted basically 2.5 yrs also and discontinued.
We had to dump it , so we traded it in and took the hit and never looked back, except to warn others. Very happy now
I have a Serrano 31X and am very pleased with it. In fact, have lived in it full time for 14 months.
What model was yours?
Is there any model-based failure data that would support your warning against the entire product line? If not, is a warning fair?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I have a Serrano 31X and am very pleased with it. In fact, have lived in it full time for 14 months.
What model was yours?
Is there any model-based failure data that would support your warning against the entire product line? If not, is a warning fair?

We also had the 31x ; I guess the fact that they quit making them so soon was self explanatory. I am certainly pleased yours is ok. I actually loved the chassis and the fuel mileage.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post

We also had the 31x ; I guess the fact that they quit making them so soon was self explanatory. I am certainly pleased yours is ok. I actually loved the chassis and the fuel mileage.
Workhorse quit making the W20D chassis. No chassis, no Serrano and other W20D based rigs.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can stay silent on this Serrano bashing no longer. "Anotherone" I am very sorry you had a bad go with your unit but please stop going on about it. I have a 31V and am Over The Moon Happy with it. The Serrano line ceased because Workhorse stopped making the chassis and for no other reason. As everyone can see in this Fourm and others all the Rig makers are guilty of producing crap from time to time, sadly that was your experience, there are many of us with that pine that are quite happy with it. Have I had a couple of problems? Yes. Have I been able to fix them? You bet. Nothing that I had an issue with could be blamed on Thor or the Serrano line. IMHO this is an excellent unit, and exceptional value for the buck. Clearly your experience is not mine, nor is mine yours. But to "Warn" people against purchasing one is folly, and potentially depriving someone of a very nice Rig. By all means Bash the warranty company, or Navistar, or Thor, but please stop banging on about the "Serrano".
Disclaimer: I have no association with Thor, Navistar, or Workhorse. I'm just a really happy Serrano owner.

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote