Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2012 berkshire 36fws....nightmare!

Purchased our new 12 36fws aprox 14 mo ago.....loved the rig...First drive home the drivers window rattled so bad ...it gave me a headach....batteries did ot hold charge....fws started hanging up after a leak was discovered in the refrig outer compartment that was not sealed properly.....put plates in lower fws,,,,water warped floor now they want to bring to indiana to replace the entire wall floor!!!!!...cable snapped placing hole in slide roof.... u have got to be kidding me....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #2

Sounds horrible and sorry to hear but it goes to show you can sometimes have as much issues with a new rig as a used one. I assume you still have a warranty though do its just the hassle of being without it.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #3

Welcome to the world of Forest River and the Berkshire low quality builds.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like normal "teething" problems with a new rig to me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Sounds like normal "teething" problems with a new rig to me.
Mr D I don't take issue with your comment, I take issue with the thought that this type of malfeasance could be written off as "Teething" problems. Some of these rigs come in at the value of a third world country and others less so, but still a bucket full of money. I just find it totally unacceptable that manufacturers can't get it right with every rig that goes out the door, there should be no teething, they build these dam things everyday and have for years. It's not brain surgery. Has Big Box retail driven down our expectations so low that when we buy something for a bucket full of money we still can't expect it not to fall apart as soon as it's driven off the lot? I have to say I've been very lucky and happy with my rig, but some of the stuff I read in here WRT quality issues just disgusts me.

Rant over, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sad for a new rig. Quality control would be nice.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I watched our Tiffin being built and have a much better understanding of the meaning "hand built"! The problem is that a group of individuals some experienced and some brand new to the job build our motorhomes. Some go together like clockwork and some do not. If you have owned more than one, you know they all have issues that appear from time to time. Sounds like the one you have has maybe a few more than normal, but whats normal? Anyway, I hope you get it sorted and enjoy the adventure along the way.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Mr D I don't take issue with your comment, I take issue with the thought that this type of malfeasance could be written off as "Teething" problems. Some of these rigs come in at the value of a third world country and others less so, but still a bucket full of money. I just find it totally unacceptable that manufacturers can't get it right with every rig that goes out the door, there should be no teething, they build these dam things everyday and have for years. It's not brain surgery. Has Big Box retail driven down our expectations so low that when we buy something for a bucket full of money we still can't expect it not to fall apart as soon as it's driven off the lot? I have to say I've been very lucky and happy with my rig, but some of the stuff I read in here WRT quality issues just disgusts me.

Rant over, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #8

Sadly, there has been a marked decline in quality on almost every company's product that Warren Buffet (the owner of Gieco Ins) has taken over. True, he has a great reputation for buying nearly bankrupt companies, and turning them into profit centers. Cheaper components, lower wage workers inevitably lead to this.

Ironic that your Berkshire carries the name of Berkshire Hathaway, Buffet's investment company............mmmmmmmmm.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #9

The window and battery issues are supplier issues.
Then there is one build issue (leak) that cascades into all the other stuff. Or was it also a supplier issue? Hard to tell.
Not too bad!
There are some real nightmares reported on this forum that make these few issues look like a pleasant dream.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to hear of your troubles. New rigs are infamous for having "teething problems" but this does seem to be a bit beyond the norm.

I don't buy the excuse of these types of issues being supplier issues either. I was a director of customer service for a Fortune 50 company before I retired and none of my customers wanted to hear me tell them it wasn't my fault... it was one of the suppliers I had chosen and continue to manage.

I certainly understand the frustration and emotion surrounding the poor quality of nearly all new RVs these days. The problem I see, is that there is no alternative out there doing a stellar job who would attract market share with superior quality. Tiffin may be the closest example but they all have their issues.

Hang in there. You'll get it all worked out and soon it will just be fodder for discussion over cocktails.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The window and battery issues are supplier issues.
Then there is one build issue (leak) that cascades into all the other stuff. Or was it also a supplier issue? Hard to tell.
Not too bad!
There are some real nightmares reported on this forum that make these few issues look like a pleasant dream.
I doubt you would call these issues a "pleasant dream" if it were your coach.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
Welcome to the world of Forest River and the Berkshire low quality builds.
I always find it interesting when someone posts a comment like that. Do you own a Berkshire? What is the first hand knowledge? We have had our Berkshire for three years with very few issues. The quality has been fine and the problems have been resolved quickly by either the factory or the dealer.

Name one brand of motorhome that doesn't have issues. Would you prefer a Tiffin with a cracked roof? Perhaps a Monaco with a checkered history and perhaps no future support. How about a million dollar Marathon broken down on the side of the road?

Should we accept shoddy workmanship? No we shouldn't but we drive increasingly complex vehicles with many components made by many different manufacturers. Sometimes things will happen that amount to the proverbial perfect storm. The law of averages comes into play at times. Forest River sounds like they are willing to step up to the plate and make things right. That should be encouraging that they have customer support that is willing to make things right.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post

I doubt you would call these issues a "pleasant dream" if it were your coach.
I had about a dozen issues. About half and half supplier/builder. But they were handled by the dealer and builder very well.

This forum has posts mostly about problems, and few with accolades. That is the nature of iRV2.

I have empathy for the issues experienced by the OP. And I did not intend to be terse in my posting. I do wish them smooth sailing and warmer feelings for their fine rig.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

This forum has posts mostly about problems, and few with accolades. That is the nature of iRV2.
I'd say it's more the nature of life than iRV2.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote