Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2012 Holiday Rambler vs 2013 Fleetwood Expedition

After hearing so many sales pitches about what's good and bad, I'm hoping you guys, the real experts, can help me out. So for about the same price I can get one of these two models. Now some have said that anything built during the Navistar years is something to avoid. I believe the 2011-2013 HR fall in that category, and if so should they be avoided and why?

Another tale I'm hearing is that the Holiday Rambler Ambassador is far above most Fleetwoods. Of course, the Fleetwood dealer is saying the Expedition is 2nd to top of the Fleetwood line. In both cases, if it matters, they are the 36-37 foot models.

We really like the layouts of both models, so the question is about quality. Any concerns? What about the MaxxForce engine in the HR, any quality issues there? Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #2

I've had both. Like them both fine. Mine where 05 to 07's. I preferred the HR, little more quality in most areas in my opinion. I could live with either one. Same money I'd buy HR.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:09 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
There have been so many model changes among the brands it's hard to tell which is the "higher" model. The safest way is to check prices of comparably equipped models. Don't know about MaxxForce engines...not many around in MHs.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:26 AM   #4

You might want to check out the Maxxforce engines. There was a law suit concerning this engine in fleet use. Just google it.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2013 HR Ambassador

We bought our 13 HR Ambassador new and we have been very happy with it as we are FT and have traveled from the Southeast, to the Northeast and now in Wyoming and everywhere in between. We've experienced heat (100+) to cold (10s-20s) and have always been comfortable. The coach, in my opinion, is "High Quality" in build and materials. We've only experienced minor problems, most easily fixed or taken care of under warranty. The maxxforce 10 engine has been reliable and handles our rig and toad with ease. Note: International had a recall on the engine and that was taken care of, so we've not experienced any problems with the engine or Allison transmission. Maybe we're one of the lucky ones, but I like to think the quality was there all along. I've always received good comments from visitors to my "home" and I am proud to show it off. I cannot speak for the Fleetwood, but, I like my HR and plan to keep it for a long time.
BJLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #6

The Maxxforce is going to be harder to find things like filters for but if you plan ahead shouldn't be a problem. There are a lot more time tested Cummins engines on the road. Holiday rambler used to be a better choice but have had many changes in recent years. Monaco and Holiday Rambler are not what they used to be in my opinion.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
You might want to check out the Maxxforce engines. There was a law suit concerning this engine in fleet use. Just google it.
I may be wrong but I think the class action suit is against the MF 13 engine, that was problematic for there owners
Traps90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have over 32,000 miles on my MaxxForce 10 now.
I have no problem finding filters or parts as there are many International dealers all around the country.
The Law suits are all over the larger MaxxForce 13 and larger engines emission system. So far I haven't come across a single legitimate lawsuit over a series 10.
As for the quality of the Navistar built coaches, I feel they are quite good. Sure I had issues but I repaired all of them myself. I haven't come across anyone who hasn't had problems with a new coach.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2013 Fleetwood Expedition

We just traded the 2013 Expedition in on a new Discovery. The Expedition was absolutely excellent in quality and amenities. Also, The Expedition uses the Cummins 360 engine while most every other manufacture uses the Cummins 340 engine. It is amazing how much of a difference 20 hp and 200 lbs torque make - especially when towing. Also, the Expedition uses the Allison 3000 transmission while others use the Allison 2500 model.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #10

We have a 2011 Monaco knight. Basically the same coach as the HR. 34,000 miles with no problems with Maxxforce engine. Has much higher torque than comparable horsepower Cummins. Coach is a real pleasure, but they all require good maintenance practices.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
After hearing so many sales pitches about what's good and bad, I'm hoping you guys, the real experts, can help me out. So for about the same price I can get one of these two models. Now some have said that anything built during the Navistar years is something to avoid. I believe the 2011-2013 HR fall in that category, and if so should they be avoided and why?

Another tale I'm hearing is that the Holiday Rambler Ambassador is far above most Fleetwoods. Of course, the Fleetwood dealer is saying the Expedition is 2nd to top of the Fleetwood line. In both cases, if it matters, they are the 36-37 foot models.

We really like the layouts of both models, so the question is about quality. Any concerns? What about the MaxxForce engine in the HR, any quality issues there? Thanks in advance.
Today both are made by the same parent company in Decatur IN and from the long service lines I saw when I tried to get my '04 in for some minor repairs I didn't see a happy face on owners of either brand. So either way you go you're going to be dealing with the same company in the end as it applies to service and parts support.

Tags
fleetwood, holiday rambler