Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #1

2012 Thor ACE 29.1 overflowing from fill port when on city water

I am posting this for a friend since this happened while we were camping a few weeks ago.

While hooked up to city water, the fill-port overflows. It took a little while since the fresh water tank filled up before overflowing. He said this is the first time it has ever happened. Originally, he did not have a pressure reducer. After I saw it leaking, I gave him my spare and it was still leaking. As fas as I could see, there are no valves directing the RV on which system to use (fresh tank or city).

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

How does the RV know which source to use? My fifth wheel has valves that I manually move to choose between the fresh water tank or city water.

Thanks,
Zac

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
He should also have a bypass valve.

It needs to be closed, or in the normal operation position to use city water directly. If it's open or in the fill position, it will fill the fresh water tank and the on board water pump will supply the water pressure instead of city water.

nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #3

The reason it is overflowing is the check valve on the fresh water pump has failed. Easiest thing to do is fill the tank and turn off the city water, and run the onboard pump. When you get around to fixing it get an inline check valve and install it on the suction side of the pump, close to the pump. If you have the tools, an inline pex check valve would be a pretty easy install.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.smith View Post
The reason it is overflowing is the check valve on the fresh water pump has failed. Easiest thing to do is fill the tank and turn off the city water, and run the onboard pump. When you get around to fixing it get an inline check valve and install it on the suction side of the pump, close to the pump. If you have the tools, an inline pex check valve would be a pretty easy install.
We had the same issue recently and it wasn't the check valve in the pump. Anderson KantLeak sent us a new valve (the guts of the four way water panel) for free and it solved the issue.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Most RVs have a valve in the wet bay to switch from tank fill to shore water. That valve may also be the problem, either not fully turned to the shore water or failing valve. As above if the check valve on the pump failed, running the pump may clear it or there maybe a valve to keep water from back flowing threw the pump.

LEN
Old 09-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #6

Pretty new here so I don't know all the ins and outs...
When we fill our fresh water tank and it gets to 100%, water begins coming out from under the RV. I simply go back to the outside panel and turn the valve to City-Normal. When I do that, the overflowing stops and if I am still connected to the water supply, I don't need my 12 volt water pump.
I have been assuming that is normal but there is no mention of it in my manual.

This is a brand new Leisure Travel Van Serenity. This might be what the OP is experiencing.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #7

Not all coaches have city water fill valves or 4 way valves to select between city water and the onboard tank. Some of the lower cost coaches will only have a gravity water fill (like my Flair and the OP's Ace). In this case pretty much the only way for the pressurized city water to fill and overflow the onboard tank is for the pump check valve to leak. This is not really that uncommon, if you search the forum you will find many threads about leaking pump check valves.

Just my $0.02
Old 09-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
Pretty new here so I don't know all the ins and outs...

When we fill our fresh water tank and it gets to 100%, water begins coming out from under the RV. I simply go back to the outside panel and turn the valve to City-Normal. When I do that, the overflowing stops and if I am still connected to the water supply, I don't need my 12 volt water pump.

I have been assuming that is normal but there is no mention of it in my manual.

This is a brand new Leisure Travel Van Serenity. This might be what the OP is experiencing.

The overflow you are experiencing is just that, your tank has an overflow at or near the top of the tank that dumps the excess water when the tank is full. It depends how the builder plumbed the system, my Itasca had an overflow like what you are describing and did not have a gravity fill, the only way to fill the tank was thru the city water connection. My current coach came from the factory with only a gravity fill connection, no connection to the city water system. The only overflow is the small line right next to the gravity fill port. I have since added a fill connection to the city water system and leave the gravity fill open while filling the tank to prevent over-pressurizing the tank.

I guess the only thing I would recommend is to monitor the tank while filling as you really do not want to build pressure in the tank to the point of causing it to get round, could result in fittings connected to the tank leaking if you are filling faster than you can vent.

Tags
ace, thor, water

« Keys | Segway rack »