Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 05:28 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2013 Fridge in a 2015 RV

Yes I know that the manufacturers buy the residential fridges in bulk but 2 years old? Is it that common? Our brand new 2015 RV has a Whirlpool residential fridge from 2013. We just bought this RV in January and the entire unit has had troubles. Just when we finally think all is well, we fired up the fridge and it doesn't get cold. It has a very nasty stink to it too. I'm thinking the compressor let loose. The dealer was supposed to arrange repairs but they never did, I had to call Whirlpool myself, they actually have a special division for units in RV's. Our microwave is also 2 years old. Am I going to be out of line if I demand a 2015 refrigerator if this one can't be fixed? I dread trying to get that one out and the new one in. It should fit through the door but it's going to be tight.

Thanks

Fred

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #2

Many motor homes are assembled with previous years' units in them. For example, the chassis on my 2004 MH was made in 2002. I think the coach manufacturers likely install appliances they have bought until they run out of inventory. My microwave was built in 2002. Don't know about the refrigerator.
However, all that being said, your refrigerator should have a warranty as a new refrigerator. Your dealer sounds like a real piece of work. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #3

Your 2015 RV could have been completed in August 2014, so it's not unreasonable for the appliances to have been built in the year prior. I'm sure warranty will take care of you.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think fridges have model years anyway - just model numbers that change from time to time as new features or colors or whatever are added. The fridge manufacturer can probably tell the production date by the serial number, but it wouldn't be considered a "2013 model".

In any case, just about everything in a fridge is replaceable, so they will take care of the repairs.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fred,

Check your tire codes. They may be even older than the refrigerator!

As everyone has noted, it's not at all unusual. Your warranty is based on the date you took delivery and drove it off the lot. It may be a 2015 model, with a 2013 chassis, assembled in 2014, with televisions made in 2006, toilets from 2002, sinks from 1995, nuts and bolts from the 1980's etc....
Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's the latest. Fridge tech was out. We had to pull the fridge out which was a major job to do. Unit has no freon and it leaked out as fast as he put it in. He can't find the leak. They won't tell whirlpool that it needs to be replaced until they do a UV dye leakdown test. That may take a week to get done, then about a week to get the replacement approved and who knows how long to get the new fridge. To make matters worse, the service company does not deliver and install warranty units. I called the dealer and they basically said your on your own. We don't service or install refrigerators. Tried to beat some sense into them. They finally agreed to talk to Whirlpool. Then they said that if I can get a replacement unit, have it sent to them and they will put it in. Wait a minute, you just told me that you don't remove or install them. I'm going to call Coachmen (I think they are getting tired of me) and see of they will service it at the factory. I'm about 3 hours away but I figure they know how to get it in and out plus have replacement refrigerators available. We haven't camped once yet, only had it home 4 days in the past 5 months. I'm not happy.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #7

If the factory is only 3hours away that would be a no brainer. Our dealer is 4hrs away.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
If the factory is only 3hours away that would be a no brainer.
I agree! Ditch the troublesome dealer and have the factory fix it.

Good luck, it sounds like a truly frustrating experience.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #9

If sold "as new" the only date that matters is the transaction date and warranty starts there.

Anytime the covered item is out of service for reasons covered under said warranty clock stops dead from point warranty provider put on notice and does not start until resolved 100 %.

Step 1 is to contact manufacturer and be sure all paperwork handy to register the failure and dates.

Then request plan of attack and qualified servicers that can replace the unit.

Insist the manufacturer get the back end done so you just need to show up.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
If sold "as new" the only date that matters is the transaction date and warranty starts there.

Anytime the covered item is out of service for reasons covered under said warranty clock stops dead from point warranty provider put on notice and does not start until resolved 100 %.

Step 1 is to contact manufacturer and be sure all paperwork handy to register the failure and dates.

Then request plan of attack and qualified servicers that can replace the unit.

Insist the manufacturer get the back end done so you just need to show up.
That idea sunk faster than the Titanic. Coachmen said sorry, can't help. We don't have any refrigertors at all to replace yours. He said that they are going to have to attempt every possible repair because that unit was installed before the roof and walls (I figured as much). He said if it won't go out the door the next way is the windshield. If that breaks then I pay for it I bet. The door is 26 inches wide and the unit is 25 inches wide, just might make it. It also has 2 security bars on the top that are expoxied to it. Somehow those have to come off first then have to be reattached to the new unit. Last I heard Coachmen was going to talk to their distributor and the dealer was going to talk to the Whirlpool repair tech and Whirlpool themselves. That last conversation was over 3 hours ago. Haven't heard from anyone yet. I'm really doubting that any camping is going to happen any time soon.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:21 PM   #11

Titanic sunk because it hit an iceburg.

You are allowing the company to hold you down...

What I posted is law in many states...that fine print in the warranty that states you may have other rights depending on your state.

Call your state department of consumer affairs and see what your state says.

We had a run in with an extended warranty on a product that had issues since day one and we insisted they honor the warranty and fix it since it had been acting up for the 5 years we had it and wanted it fixed before it ran out.

They stated no dice and nice knowing you.

Called the state...state called them and they called me and offered to buy the tv for about 70 cents on the original selling point to buy out my policy and we kept the set.

Did I say it was 5 years old...?

Issue was anoying but it worked fine for 5 more years before it bit the dust.

You purchased a mh with a warranty and all you ask is thst it be repaired under warranty.

And the clock does not start until fixed to your satisfaction...if they need to pull windshield so what...not your fault they designed it that way and installed a bad refer...

Stand up and use the tools your taxes pay for...
Old 05-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Titanic sunk because it hit an iceburg.

You are allowing the company to hold you down...

What I posted is law in many states...that fine print in the warranty that states you may have other rights depending on your state.

Call your state department of consumer affairs and see what your state says.

We had a run in with an extended warranty on a product that had issues since day one and we insisted they honor the warranty and fix it since it had been acting up for the 5 years we had it and wanted it fixed before it ran out.

They stated no dice and nice knowing you.

Called the state...state called them and they called me and offered to buy the tv for about 70 cents on the original selling point to buy out my policy and we kept the set.

Did I say it was 5 years old...?

Issue was anoying but it worked fine for 5 more years before it bit the dust.

You purchased a mh with a warranty and all you ask is thst it be repaired under warranty.

And the clock does not start until fixed to your satisfaction...if they need to pull windshield so what...not your fault they designed it that way and installed a bad refer...

Stand up and use the tools your taxes pay for...
Thank you for the resource. Neither Coachmen or the dealer called me back.

Here's another update which make me
The appliance tech said that the leak could be anywhere in the unit or cabinet. He said the lines in the cabinet could be the source of the leak and if so the unit has to be replaced. I service computers for a living and deal with technical issues all the time. I got curious so I downloaded the parts list for the fridge. There are no lines in the cabinet! Based on the parts list I can't see lines anywhere in the cabinet. There are only 3 possible parts that hold freon, the condenser, the evaporator and the compressor. I have to find the service manual but something is telling me that it may be fixable in the RV. If it's not then I don't know what happens next.

Fred
Old 05-24-2015, 09:27 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Based on the parts list I can't see lines anywhere in the cabinet. There are only 3 possible parts that hold freon, the condenser, the evaporator and the compressor.
Those are the three parts that are replaceable. The compressor and condenser are outside of the cabinet, the evaporator is inside the cabinet. They are all connected by copper lines that route the freon between the various parts. By definition, those lines must pass through the cabinet somewhere, and as such they may not be replaceable (that's why they are not in the parts list.)

To make matters more interesting, many refrigerators have heaters around the door frames to prevent condensation. Some use actual electric heaters, some may route the warm freon in a pipe that runs around the door frame, and then goes to the evaporator inside the fridge. If your fridge is one of the latter, you cannot replace those lines without completely disassembling the fridge to separate the inner and outer walls, then chipping out the foam insulation, and finally putting it all back together and injecting new expanding foam insulation - not a practical process.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Those are the three parts that are replaceable. The compressor and condenser are outside of the cabinet, the evaporator is inside the cabinet. They are all connected by copper lines that route the freon between the various parts. By definition, those lines must pass through the cabinet somewhere, and as such they may not be replaceable (that's why they are not in the parts list.)

To make matters more interesting, many refrigerators have heaters around the door frames to prevent condensation. Some use actual electric heaters, some may route the warm freon in a pipe that runs around the door frame, and then goes to the evaporator inside the fridge. If your fridge is one of the latter, you cannot replace those lines without completely disassembling the fridge to separate the inner and outer walls, then chipping out the foam insulation, and finally putting it all back together and injecting new expanding foam insulation - not a practical process.
Thanks. If it's got those lines and they are bad, the unit is toast, how the devil am I going to get it out? I know I should leave it up to the dealer but at this point the camping season is evaporating and I need to get this resolved NOW.
I'm frustrated, I just want to get it packed up and go camping.

Tags
fridge