Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #15

Turbo Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I too have a 2012 Monaco 36' with the MaxxForce 10 engine. I pull a 6500lb trailer often up and down mountainous roads (400ft to 7200ft and 7% grades) with no problem. The unit is rated to pull 10,000lbs and in my opinion you should have no problem.
So do you have the turbo exhaust brake? Or did you equip with a Jake brke? Which one do you have and is it awesome or just OK

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #16

Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
In my 2012 Monaco owners manual it states the following:
GVWR 33,000
GCWR 43,000
GAWR (Front) 13,000
GAWR (Rear) 20,000
Hitch is rated for 10,000

I have not weighed my RV yet so I can't say how close to the 33,000 it is.
That being said I think I will weight this init before purchase. I'm thinking i should use my torsion hitch

Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #17

Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchayan View Post
I have a 2011Monaco Cayman[Knight] 36PFT with a 340hp cummins I would not be able to pull that combination but with the torque you have in thwe 2013 and if it is an Allison 3000 not a 2500 you should be fine. I agree with the other posters that you will be maxed out on your weights.
But what would concern me more is that these coaches are rear end heavy and do not handle well if you ad that amount of hitch weight and 30 ft of trailer IMHO you will have a white knuckle time of it in the least bit of wind.I pull a 26 ft riverboat at about 5000lbs. if a wind comes up on a freeway it is not a pleasant experience. I would suggest looking at a 40 ft Knight, its wheel base is 4ft longer and much more stable. As far as the coach goes we love it, but hopefully you are aware that Navistar , Monacos parent is financially in trouble and Monaco is for sale. That could present problems down the line.
What do you think if I use my torsion hitch? Crank it tight
Old 02-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
I drive a 2011 Knight 40' with the maxxforce 10 pull a 4dr jeep wrangler been all through mountains never a power issue. No issues whatsoever with the motor approx 15000 miles right now.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
When in doubt, work the numbers, the tow rating is the lower of:

1. GCWR minus RV's actual weight (if it's not over GVWR).

2. Hitch capacity.

3. Coach tow rating.

4. Chassis maker's tow rating.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisn Bob View Post
So do you have the turbo exhaust brake? Or did you equip with a Jake brke? Which one do you have and is it awesome or just OK
It came with a 3 stage Jake brake. It really helps and I wouldn't be without one.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That being said I think I will weight this init before purchase. I'm thinking i should use my torsion hitch
Our 2011 36pft knight with the MF 10 engine. Full fuel,full water and full gear and 2 weeks of food and stuff on board weighed right at 31 k. I would be hard pressed to get it up to 33 k. Pulled the big mountains outside of Phoenix thru Payson Az to Albuquerque with no problems at all. Not towing at the time but I had power to spare and then some, and yes the three stage engine brake is a wonderful safety device.
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
2011 Knight with the three stage Jake brake. Love the brake and the coach pulling a jeep climbs like a goat. That said the jeep weighs something like 4,800 pounds.

I use the Air Force One brake system and can verify in an emergency stop they will lock up the jeep brakes.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #23

I advise you to check at the noise at the rear of the unit, which transforms to the engine noise INSIDE the Motor home, to a Motor home with a Cummins...

CLACK CLACK CLACK does not exist with a Cummins..

Quote:
I'm considering buying a new 2013 Monaco Knight 36' with the maxxforce 10 rated at 350HP and 1150 torque. I plan to pull a 30' box trailer at about 10K lbs. Any pointers? What rep does this motor have? And cooling it is a rear radiator.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
I think in the end you will have wished you went with a DP. Just my 2 cents. If you PM me I will be willing to set up a call to you and maybe help you out. Good luck and keep us posted.
Well Mr. Wizard, you need to get up to date on your MH and engines. That is a DP and the engine is an International, their new MaxForce line.:facepal m:
Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #25

Cruisn Bob

I'm glad i did not buy that Monaco Maxxforce. I was at Swartz Diesel the other day inquiring about boosting a Cummins. The International Rep was at the shop. Don and myself ask him about the maxxforce. he admitted they are having nothing but problems. EGR valve leaking coolant into exhaust for one.
I have decided on a used Camelot with a 400 Cummins. Stay with what is proven
Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
You will love the Camelot enjoy.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

The CCC calculation is relevant to the earlier comments that the tongue weight of the trailer reduces the CCC. And yes, it does, since the tongue weight is part of the owner added load in/on the coach and becomes part of the CCC allowance..

But it has nothing to do with GCWR or towing capacity.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #28

Exclamation Cruisn Bob

Well things have changed. I still have not signed on the dotted line. I was at the RV show at CalEXpo in Sacramento today. LaMesa RV had a display. A rep from Holiday Rambler was there and spent plenty of time with me and a couple of the salesman. I'm back on board with the Maxxforce 10. I put a deposit on a 2013 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 36'. I sure I hope I'm making the right decision. The truth is I really wont know until I'm on the road pulling the trailer on hills and canyon roads. I just can only hope i dont have problems with the EGR. I pray I dont have any problems.

Tags
monaco