Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #1

2013 Tiffin Allegro Shower Issue

All,

I have am having a draining problem in my shower. I put some drano down the drain and that did nothing not even a slight improvement. When I removed the drain cover I noticed a white soft/cushy like item right under the steel drain. What is this and any suggestion on getting my shower to drain.

Todd

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I would recommend posting this 2 different places:

1- Post it on the Tiffin Owners' Forum here in iRv2. It is located at the top of this page, left of center under "Owners Forums."

2- Post it on the Tiffin's Owner's RV Network Forum.TiffinRVNetwork

-- Kay

austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like underlay blocking the drain , did you pull the "cushy" stuff aside to see if it would drain?
Old 06-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #4

I'd never put harsh chemicals in the tanks. When my previous RV had a black tank blockage I used live bacteria treatment, the same thing used for septic tank. Those little enzymes turn everything to liquid and do no harm to your plumbing.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
I'd never put harsh chemicals in the tanks. When my previous RV had a black tank blockage I used live bacteria treatment, the same thing used for septic tank. Those little enzymes turn everything to liquid and do no harm to your plumbing.
I agree. I never use harsh chemicals in my tanks.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry, I have no idea what the "white soft/cushy like item" is. Perhaps something the previous owner put in to keep hair out of the trap? Have you tried to take it out?

Once you remove it, and I know this will sound like a gimmick but it actually works quite well and many RVers use it too, try using the little gadget called "Zip It" which is a plastic stick with little tines/barbs which you stick down the drain that will pick up all kinds of hair and crud in drains. It costs less than $5 and can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. Click here for their website.

Here's one at Home Depot for $2.48:

BrassCraft Zip-It Bath and Sink Hair Snare-BC00400 - The Home Depot

And I agree with others, do not use Drano or other harsh chemicals in an RV. Instead, many of us use vinegar and baking soda with hot water to maintain clean drains in RVs. Pour about cup baking soda, then cup vinegar, down a clogged drain. Wait about 5 minutes and flush with steaming-hot water. If you can remember to do this every month or so, it's a good maintenance procedure to help with never having a clogged shower drain.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
A photo here would help tremendously. BTW, I would not use harsh chemicals in the drains. Most of the time it is hair and soap gunk that plugs them up and mechanical cleaning with something like the Zip-it is all you need.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

I believe the white piece you're describing is the baffle used to prevent the grey water from backing up in the shower. The down side to them is that they clog easier.

You might be able to use low pressure compressed air, like the output on a vacuum, to push the trapped material past the duck bill and down the drain. I've had good luck with long nose pliers and pulling the hair ball back out the top.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #9

Because I've piped a couple old homes I do not allow bar soap in our showers. Soft soap does not clog up pipes like the bar soap does. YMMV

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 06-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #10

Question

I brought my 2014 Allegro 31SA back to the dealer recently for an odor coming from the shower. The technician told me the shower has a flapper to close off the drain and not a p-trap. He said there was some sealant that got caught in the mechanism preventing it from closing fully and removed it.

This all puzzles me as I though p-traps were required. I have not yet taken the MH out to test for odors.

Anyway, if this is true, I thought that perhaps this was the material mentioned by the OP.
2usaretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Your 2013 Allegro does not have a P trap in the shower. It has a waterless trap instead and you must be careful when trying to clear any clogs. The manufacturer of the waterless trap said that you can use products like Drano but personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

We were on a trip recently and had a slow shower drain. A very slow drain. I removed the cover and carefully got as much of the gunk out with long Q tips. Then, we put some baking soda and a little water in the drain, covered it with a plastic cup and let it gurgle for a couple of minutes. This was followed by pouring a gallon of hot water down the drain.

No more slow drain.

CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower, tiffin