Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #1

2014 Discovery 40E

Thinking about buying a 2014 Discovery 40E. We've been researching, going to RV shows and reading as much as possible. We've had a Terry 5th wheel for 13 years and are ready to upgrade. Any thoughts about Discovery or Fleetwood in general would surely help.
J. C. R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I can't help you with the 40W but can tell you we have been very pleased with our Discovery 36J. We had an Alpine and were pretty spoiled when we decided to trade for a new rig. It's not an Alpine, but in our opinion, we got a great coach for what we spent. As in most cases, the floor plan was a huge selling point. Of all the coaches we looked at, the Discovery 36J was the perfect coach for us.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood has completely upgraded the Discovery line for 2014. You will not only get a great coach but you'll find FW customer relations ready to help at a moments notice. Also remember there are many, many vendors involved with your coach. Check out a similar post regarding quality and response to service at the FW owners forum!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #4

I'm concerned about fit-n-finish, ie. rattles, squeaks & leaks. I've heard these can be troublesome in many Motorhomes. Also, the one we are most interested in has the roll out "slide toppers". I've seen so many of these on other rigs that are raveled out, flopping as they drive down the road or, entirely disintegrated. Are they worth the trouble?
Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We have a 2-year old Bounder with the slide toppers and they work great. They help keep leaves, twigs, etc. off the top of the slide.

We have been very happy with our Fleetwood product and would not hesitate to buy another when the time comes.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The Discovery is second in order of FW models, behind the Providence and above the Expedition and Excursion. As others have said, FW and the help line are top notch.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
J.C.R. The interior of the 14 Discovery is the same solid moldings as in our Providence. Emphasis on "solid" wood finishings. We will have an occasional rattle or a squeak mostly due to "road noise" attributed to road surfaces, ie, I 84 through PA., I 95 through SC. My DW and I have easy conversations traveling most interstates and certainly back country roads. On your point of "roller" type slide covers. We owned an 03 Excursion for three years, roller type slide covers, now our 2013 Providence for two years never an issue. These covers are tensioned with adjustable springs and then locked. There are locks mounted on the coach to prevent an accidental opening. So in over five years this Dometic system has served us well. Do I wish they were Girard, yes, but one would have to purchase a coach with a significantly much higher price point. Drive the coach then make your decision. Best of luck on your search!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback! We have a lot to consider.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #9

We will also be towing a car. What are pros and cons with dolly vs flat tow?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
I can't help you with the 40W but can tell you we have been very pleased with our Discovery 36J. We had an Alpine and were pretty spoiled when we decided to trade for a new rig. It's not an Alpine, but in our opinion, we got a great coach for what we spent. As in most cases, the floor plan was a huge selling point. Of all the coaches we looked at, the Discovery 36J was the perfect coach for us.
Love our 36J as well. Great price, great features, great customer service from Fleetwood.

As to towing 4 down/dolly, the big/most frequent question is where do you put the dolly at a campground after the tow vehicle is back on the ground. Our 36J has ample power/torque and tows our 5000 pound GMC Acadia 4 down with ease - don't even know it's there. Consider the towed vehicle first - can it be towed 4 down, or is a dolly necessary.

By the way - welcome to IRV2!

Hope that helps...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love our Fleetwood. The only rattle or squeak in the whole coach was the dinette table where it attached to the wall. I little wd and the entire coach doesn't have a single squeak or rattle.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #12

Love our Providence. as for towing recommend 4 down flat tow. A story behind that once towed a small truck on a dolly and going 60 it all of a sudden broke lose and started yanking side to side almost flipped the main truck. After I got it stopped there was nothing wrong with the dolly hookup. From then on I would never tow with a dolly again. BTW the rest of the trip was trouble free but never when over 45. Flat towed now for 5 years trouble free, easy connect disconnect, love it.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #13

Thanks for the helpful input. I still have a little time to decide.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #14

JC, You are going to love that new rig, congrats!!! My slide toppers are 8 years old and work great. Rattles? There will be a few, like when I forget to take the trays out of the convection oven. BTW, Flat tow if you have the right TOAD is absolutely the way to go. Go to the MH and TOAD forum to get more info on that!

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote