Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 05:07 AM   #43

I own a 30.1.. it is 18000GVWR the 29.2 is 16000 GVWR both GCWR 23000
ssgwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgwsmith View Post
I own a 30.1.. it is 18000GVWR the 29.2 is 16000 GVWR both GCWR 23000
yes, thank you…i've read the 'wet weight' in the 15k range… which leaves plenty of room for grown ups and stuff
jtseltmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #45
PDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtseltmann View Post
Thank you virginiamtns for that great info…I appreciate everyone's feedback but truly my question was about the radio etc. So the head unit in the cab controls the radio through the coach? It doesn't have to crank up just enough to listen and enjoy.

How are you satisfied with the changes and fixes in the 2014 ACE? I've done my reading and it seems you can find anyone to say they love any coach! It is funny that there are things I like about both that the other doesn't have. ACE has center table up front and night tables by bed, better shower setup i think and the FR has the better headlights, nicer couch but for a price hike. I get what I'm paying for too…an entry level Class A/C hybrid. I'm not expecting the world but surely this is a HUGE step up from our TT.

The storage in the 30.1 is much smaller than the 29.2…i'm curious if anyone can tell me why?

Also for those that commented that they like the Coachman more…why? I know it takes time but I'm not looking for just an "i like this" but really the why. You folks are my test market! I'm pretty sure we'll love whatever we get…there is so much in both of these for a great value.
Hello all, I am a newbie to RV'ing and am thinking about a used MH because of the price difference. I am interested in a starter Class A and so far am thinking about a 2013 ACE 30.1 or 29.1. I am concerned about the difference in exterior storage between the 29.1 and 30.1 The 29.1 has so much more storage capacity than the 30.1. I like the floorplan of the 30.1 a little better because of the larger amount of kitchen counter space, the living area TV that pulls out on an arm so you can watch TV from the swivel captain chairs. Also, a big concern with the 29.1 is the location of the generator. I am a light sleeper and sensitive to noise. On the 29.1 the generator is located in the rear under the queen bed while the 30.1 the generator is located mid chassis under the dinette/sofa away from the bedroom. Can someone offer their opinion on my concerns?
I do like the Forest River FR3 but it's a new model and pricing is too steep for me. I am going to look at a 2013 Pursuit but have not been able to find how many cubic feet of external storage a 2013 Pursuit 31BD has, does anyone know?

Thanks,
PDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #46

Mid Atlantic Campers
I assume you mean ACE 29.2. 29.1 has not been made for a few years.
Yes you do know when the generator is on. It has a gentle shake to the MH. Not bad but if your sleeping with it on and a light sleeper it could be an issue.
My question is why run it while sleeping? You need it for the tv's and the AC if boondocking. But any other thing will run on batteries or plug it in to shore power at your destination. In any case, the 30.1 would be close to the same light noise and shake as these are short motorhomes.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #47
PDG

I use a CPAP machine that requires AC to run at night. You're probably correct that you'll feel a slight shake and hear a hum but will 15ft further away make a difference? I really don't know. Any feedback on the storage of the 29.2 vs 30.1? Does anyone have any experience with a Mirada Pursuit MH? First glance seems a competitor to bothe the ACE and FR3.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG View Post
I use a CPAP machine that requires AC to run at night. You're probably correct that you'll feel a slight shake and hear a hum but will 15ft further away make a difference? I really don't know. Any feedback on the storage of the 29.2 vs 30.1? Does anyone have any experience with a Mirada Pursuit MH? First glance seems a competitor to bothe the ACE and FR3.
What are the power requirements for the CPAP? Any chance you could get away with an inverter and run the Genny during the day to recharge the batteries?
Old 02-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
What are the power requirements for the CPAP? Any chance you could get away with an inverter and run the Genny during the day to recharge the batteries?
Most Cpaps use an adapter to drop the voltage from 120v ac to 12volts , but not sure if it is ac, or dc
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
We have the 2014 30.1. The generator is located directly behind the drive wheels on the driver's side. We've had the genny on for hours and never noticed a shake or wiggle. We also use a Genturi on it to direct exhaust up and over the top of the MH.

We have had no problems with mechanical systems. We are currently in the shop for warranty work - replacing a decal that bubbled, new front curtains, new antennae handle. Minor stuff, easily fixed, and Thor has been awesome to deal with. Our dealer will have our rig back to us this weekend. We dropped it off on January 20, and they're right on time.

I'd buy another ACE if I had it to do over again.
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
I
FWIW, my CCC sticker says 2757lb.
I have the 2014 30.1. CCC is over 4,000.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #52
PDG

Congratulations, the 30.1 is a really nice MH. How do you find the storage in the 30.1? It has a much smaller storage area underneath than the 29.2. What has been your experience?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Congratulations, the 30.1 is a really nice MH. How do you find the storage in the 30.1? It has a much smaller storage area underneath than the 29.2. What has been your experience?
We have more storage than we can fill! On the service side, we keep all the electric, water, sewer and generator supplies in the outside bays. On the camp side, we carry firewood, lanterns, etc.

In the main storage (back camp side), we have four folding chairs, two zero gravity recliners, broom, barbeque, charcoal, camp rug, folding tables, pool noodles and my rain poncho. Plenty of room for everything.

Inside, we have plenty of storage in the bathroom - two cabinets overhead and one under sink. The kitchen has plenty of storage, and we keep a lot of staples in the pull out pantry. Over the couches and bed there is a lot of storage. The closets are huge, and the dresser drawers are big as well. There's also storage behind the TVs - we keep paper towel rolls behind the main TV.

There's also storage below each bench in the dinette. We have a couple of ottomans that we added, and each holds four gallons of water or a case of 30 bottles. we like having the extra weight in the ottomans - they don't move during travel.

We have been out for 10 days at a time, and the only thing we ran out of was fresh fruits and vegetables. We had plenty of room for everything else. I love to cook, so we have lots of cooking equipment.

We love our ACE, and are counting the days until we go camping again.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #54
PDG

So glad to hear all the good storage stuff as it makes me want to get on the road. I was asking because we're thinking we may go out for two months or longer. How do you like the Denver mattress? Is it as comfortable as they advertise? BTW, is there storage under the queen bed? That would be awesome. I love the ottoman idea storing water or other items to offer stability from shifting around as well as additional places for your stuff. Where did you find the ottomans?
Thanks much,

Peter
Old 02-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
So glad to hear all the good storage stuff as it makes me want to get on the road. I was asking because we're thinking we may go out for two months or longer. How do you like the Denver mattress? Is it as comfortable as they advertise? BTW, is there storage under the queen bed? That would be awesome. I love the ottoman idea storing water or other items to offer stability from shifting around as well as additional places for your stuff. Where did you find the ottomans?
Thanks much,

Peter
Hi, Peter:

The Denver mattress is decent, but we had a 4" memory foam topper in our old RV. We moved it over, so I can't tell you how it would be without it.

There is no storage under the bed - that area is your outside storage, as well as electrical equipment. The circuit breaker box is on the foot end of the bed pedestal.

We found the ottomans at Walmart. The top can be turned over to make a tray, so we often use them as end tables when we're on the couch watching TV.

We store everything outside in bins (i.e., water hoses, filters, pressure regulators in one bin). Inside, we have plenty of storage. On the 30.1, you have a coat closet right near the steps, and there's a cupboard to the left of the pull out storage that will also hold gallons of water.

Aside from needing to do laundry and buy fresh foods, you should be able to stay out as long as you want. We never unpack between trips except for laundry going in the house and perishibles we didn't eat. The laundry goes right back out, and the menu for the next trip is checked to see what staple, boxed or canned goods need to go out to the MH. Yes, I use menus...so I don't forget something and need it to complete a meal.

Happy trails!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #56

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Thanks much,

Peter
29.2 has very little storage under queen bed too. Probably only room for $10,000 in hundred dollar bill. The 27.1 has a giant storage area under king bed. Can't count that high in green backs.

Tags
thor