Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 08:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2015/2016 models with 2 baths, bunks choices

We have been narrowing down our choices for a 2015 or 2016 Class A Gas. With our family makeup, etc.., we require either 1 1/2 bath or 2 baths, along with bunks (needs to sleep 8 to 10). I find these are basically our only choices that fit these parameters.

Please take a look at this list and let me know (1.) If I am leaving out any potential units, (2.) Any comments for or against any of the Makes/Models listed and why. I am having a hard time, with finding good and bad reviews on most, so cant get a sense of any true leaders of the pack on these as far as quality. I would appreciate any and all input. Thanks in advance!

Thor Challenger 37TB
Winnebago Itasca Vista LX 35B
Winnebago Itasca Sunstar LX 35B
Fleetwood Bounder 36H
Forest River Georgetown 364TS
Coachmen Mirada 35BH

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 12:17 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

That's a good list of well known and popular brands.
Owners will be a loyal bunch, so best luck and hope you double check the research.

And, just a bit of background... all gas Class A's made currently in North America are riding on the Ford F53 chassis with V10 engine with a 5 speed Ford transmission, in 1 of several GVWR's. And late in the 2016 model year, it gets a 6 speed.
http://www.ford.com/commercial-truck...assamotorhome/

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just some input from a former owner of a Georgetown 351 and current owner of Thor Challenger 37TB.

Decisions points for us to go Thor Challenger 37TB:
1. Massive storage with lots of pass through.
2. Convertible bunk area.
3. Front motorized drop down bunk.
4. 1.5 bath and a large shower in rear.
5. Longer wheelbase = 252"
6. Residential refrig
7. Descent pantry (the DW would tell you there is never enough).
8. Nice location for the washer/dryer (lots of fresh water required)

We traveled 11,000 miles since April 1, 2015. Most of these miles with 3 grandkids and their dad - so that is 6 travelers going across country and return.

We've had some 1st year issues with our coach. Issues with a rattle in the dining room slide, drivers window, hydraulic pump, etc. Great news - Thor has always been there. Everything was fixed without a big fuss and easily coordinated.

We are very satisfied with both the coach and Thor.

Scarab0088 is spot on - about loyalty that's why I included our decision points.

The F53 is a real horse. Never had any problems with the mechanics. So you won't go to far wrong.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just got back from two days in the Dallas/Fort Worth area looking at all those I listed, along with two Class A toy haulers, The Thor Outlaw and Newmar Canyon Star.

Of the models I originally listed, the Winnebago 35B was my choice for several reasons (quality seemed slightly better than the others IMHO, and a few just personal preferences like shower size vs the Georgetown, etc..)

But, I surprised myself and actually made a deal and deposit on a 2016 Newmar Canyon Star 3921 toy hauler. Though I don't get the 2nd bathroom I thought I wanted, it just felt like the right choice for our future uses.

To start with and the Main reason(though you do pay for it in a $20,000 to $50,000 more price compared to my list), the quality just seems quite a bit higher on it compared to any of the others. I was really impressed with the quality of materials and workmanship throughout.

Secondly, though the garage will come in handy and keep me from having to pull my motorcycle trailer behind the motorhome, the garages many potential uses seemed very desirable to me. Be it the 2 full queen (one is even larger than that) bunk beds that will be great for both kids and I feel adults over say small dinette sleeping. Or, secondly, the way the bottom bunk bed (you can raise up the top one for very nice headroom) converts to a two facing each other benches with a large table between to make a very large (6 good sized adults) picnic table eating station. (I think this will be our main dining area on all trips).

Lastly, raise up both bunks and lower the tailgate and there is a screen that comes down to cover the large opening and you have a screened in porch area for those buggy nights while you sit and enjoy the evening outside.

I now have to anxiously wait the couple of weeks to get back down their (7 hour one way drive for me) to close on it and bring it home!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CONGRATS!

A Class A Toy Hauler is best for use too.
Love the full wall slide on the 3921, but that is heavy and eats the OCCC that available for the interior, like in the garage...so take care to watch your load.

Best luck and safe travels.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote