Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2015, 01:59 AM   #1

Smile 2015 ACE Bunkhouse (30.2) or other for large family?

Hi, new to forum, looks great! Been reading and really appreciate all the helpful info that has been shared. We are new to this and about ready to buy a 30.2 ACE with bunks for our large family, we want something that can sleep 8+. Budget, 80K is doable, would prefer less but a little afraid to try a used rig with all the problems I read about leaks, slides, on older ones and I am only so so handy.

Also because large family, we would like ability to tow a vehicle if possible that is not just a tiny car, but sounds like diesel pusher might be required and don't think I can pull those prices off.

Don't know much about brands/reputations. What other brands would you consider in that price range that have bunkhouse models or lots of sleeping room? Prefer Class A style if possible, but realize may be too much to ask for.

Wouldn't mind buying something used if it has a solid reputation. Bunks are hard to find it seems and in this price range and ACE 30.2 seems only thing.

Also, does it matter if you buy from a place like Camping World with places around the country or a local dealer with regards to service while traveling? I would assume even if we didn't buy it from camping world, for example, the factory warranty from Thor would still be honored if we ran into trouble while traveling. Or are there other perks/considerations we should consider when choosing where to buy that affect us while traveling. I have been checking local reviews and don't want to work with any place locally poorly rated but do have some good choices of well rated places.

So my questions to summarize as I realize I am rambling a little:

1.) The 2015 ACE 30.2, generally good impressions? or would you steer us someplace else?
2.) Advantages/Disadvantages from buying from local RV only place, vs camping world type place as many choices near me.
lotsokids is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi lotsokids,
Welcome to iRV2. Consider a pre-owned Newmar coach. There are three basic choices.
1. Bunkhouse floor plans
2. Toy hauler floor plans
3. Imagination Room floor plans

Newmar's toy hauler and imagination room floor plans offer the ability to work with the rear of the coach and make it a room for the kids. This would include sleeping, play, entertainment, etc. Newmar has an excellent reputation for the longevity of their coaches.

Google "newmar all star motorhome for sale" for the diesel choices.
Google "newmar canyon star for sale" for the gas powered choices.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #3

Great, thanks! I will look at those S well.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #4

We love our ACE. Plenty of Family room and storage. We had 4 adults and 2 grandchildren on a trip from B.C. to Disneyland and were very comfortable. (towing a Ford Focus) Some people knock Thor's quality, but I have not had any issues in over a year of ownership. Loving it Good luck with the choice that's right for you.
Ted
Old 02-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Please do your research on Thor.
If there is ANY alternative I would lean that direction. There seems to be quality issues with Thor, not that they are all bad, just please do your research.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

Glad to hear Ted E! Very nice layout for us. I have also been concerned about the quality issues I've been reading, Tman. I do like the Newmar suggestion, and will keep my eye out for any that become available but they still seem high price range. Those particular models recommended above (the All-Star and Canyon star) I've been having a harder time finding. Do any other layouts lend themselves to easy rearrangement?
Old 02-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #7

Check out the Fleetwood Storm 32H.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #8

We went Georgetown 351DS after considering the ace. We had concerns on build quality with Thor as well. Those were cemented when the first coach the dealer tried to show us couldn't be accessed because the lock came out of the door in his hand. Then in the second one a screw fell out of the ceiling and hit my wife on top of her head as we were walking around checking it out.
DTMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #9

lotsokids, Check out the FR3 (ace clone) Made by Forest River. Pretty much the same layout and price range. Do a lot of research on this forum, you will find that many if not all manufactors of RV's have issues, including the High end units. "Personally" I believe Thor gets picked on because they sell the most units therefore more problems are brought to the forfront. Enjoy the search.
Ted
Old 02-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
2015 ACE Bunkhouse (30.2) or other for large family?

Sleep 8+?

Wow. How old are the kids?

And Camping World? The only thing I'd by from them is RV antifreeze.

Buy used from a private seller, plenty out there, do your DD.

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #11

I will check the Georgetown and Forrest river out too. Didn't know of a similar model as ace. We Have a small tribe from 17-3. Family of 12, but other than big expensive entertainer coaches out of our price range, I don't think we will find that and the bunk models are actually a decent compromise with the other furniture that makes beds and the large bunk over driver in the ACE could hold two as well. It wouldn't be spacious but would allow us to do some vacations together. Starting to realize time is running out when olders will be gone soon and we have put this idea off for too long. Looking to make some lasting memories. Given our size we drive everywhere when visiting family in othey states as flights are expensive, so kids are used to road trips. Would be nice if we didn't have to get several hotel rooms every night and make it possible to see more together and enjoy the time that is passing way to quickly!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #12

Looking at ace 30.2 myself. Only other comp class a bunkhouse in that length are fleetwood storm 32h and jayco precept 29 ur. I liked the ace the best after seeing all 3 in person. If you go up to 34-37 feet you have more options including tiffin and newmar. I actually like the thor miramar 34.3 the best but I need to keep it under 33 feet for my driveway so ace 30.2 is probably what we will get.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out the Coachmen Pursuit I believe it is the 33BH has the bunkhouse lay out and the front dropdown bed.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #14

The thor Ace and FR3 are really neat Mh's we have been looking at them and find them to be a bit small and we are only a family of 3. I like the thor hurricane and Fleetwood storm a lot better.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote