Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
2015 Canyon Star 3914 vs 2015 Winnie Adventurer 38P

Howdy folks,
Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on 2015 Newmar Canyon Star 3914 versus 2015 Winnie Adventurer 38P?
They both have virtually identical floor plans, same chassis, etc.
Just curious, what say you?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #2

Although we were looking at the 2014 36' Newmars and Winnebagos when we bought we did drive those models also. We were very pleased with the drive and handling of both. We liked the interior fit and finish of the Newmar over the Winnebago. Both were great MH's we just liked the Newmar better.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Mike & Cha

Many thanks for replying to my thread. I love Newmar's style, it just looks so rich. Although it just gets tough sometimes because one's attention to detail gets my attention. For example, Winnie has one heck of a grasp on places for interior storage, like the compartment behind the TV on the 38P, brilliant. But doesn't come close as to the style of the cabinetry detail and lines.
Anyway, thinking of ordering one or the other, I'm really a Newmar guy, I think they're more apt to go down the customizing road with me more than anyone else too. It's a daunting process in a way, 'cause I don't have much time left concerning the 2015 model year, and there's good points to both.
Thanks again,
E225
Old 12-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar seems to be the only one of the "normal" RV manufacturers that do much customization. When we ordered our present 2002 we had two walls and two pocket doors removed, different countertops, different vanity and a bunch of other stuff done. Something over $35,000 in specials in 2002 $$'s
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello Mr D

Thanks Mr D, that's nice when you can get it the way you want it and you don't hear "NO". Feels good too when the manufacturer gets as excited as you do in the mod process, like hey that's neat let's do it. I do know Winnie does some stuff in special cases. Recently I bought a retired mobile school classroom made by Winnie out of a '99 Adventurer. Just computer work stations etc down both walls including the slide. No tanks no nothin'. But it does have a 7000 Cummins/Onan gen set and air conditioning. It was ordered by a school system from Winnebago. I'm going to turn it into a mobile music stage, let ya know how it turns out
I envy the experiences and all you've seen and people you've met RVing since 1957! The best of times I'm sure.
Take care, God bless to all.
E225
Old 12-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I have been doing a Newmar 3612 vs Winnabago 37F comparison and the biggest difference to me is the cost. The Winnabago cost $10,000 more, but there are a lot of things I like about the Winnie.

Electra 225 - are you referring to the 38Q or the 35P?
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have been doing a Newmar 3612 vs Winnabago 37F comparison and the biggest difference to me is the cost. The Winnabago cost $10,000 more, but there are a lot of things I like about the Winnie.

Electra 225 - are you referring to the 38Q or the 35P?

Sorry, all this time I've been meaning to refer to the 38Q! not (P)
what did you like about the Adventurer then?
Old 12-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Newmar seems to be the only one of the "normal" RV manufacturers that do much customization. When we ordered our present 2002 we had two walls and two pocket doors removed, different countertops, different vanity and a bunch of other stuff done. Something over $35,000 in specials in 2002 $$'s
Actually Winnebago will build you a coach from the ground up if you have the money and time. They build many specialty coaches for all sorts of medical, promotional and service businesses. They will also make a handicapped accessible coach to whatever specifications you desire.

In addition to specialty coaches they will also add or delete amenities in coaches with standard floor plans. When we were looking for an Adventurer 32H in 2013 we talked to the factory rep and toured several coaches at the factory. We noticed amenities in other more expensive coaches we thought we wanted in our motorhome. We were informed we could order any option offered on any coach (even though it wasn't offered on the specific model we were interested in) if it could physically be installed in the model we chose.

We did decide we would like a few non-standard amenities in our new coach. We had to submit a request through our selling dealer. The dealer sent the request on to the company, and the company in turn made the determination as to whether the amenities would fit, and if so what the cost would be.

In our case all the items we ordered would fit, and were not unreasonably priced. We ordered them, and were pleasantly surprised that the dealer included them at wholesale cost rather than the 28% higher retail cost.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've owned 2 Winnebago rigs and loved them both. But now that I have my Newmar rig I love it even more. I love the Company, people and the customer service. I bought used but whenever I call the factory for parts or info I'm treated like family. You would think I purchased new. The fit and finish is awesome (great wood work) and the two things that impress me the most is that Newmar has kept things simple when it comes to the mechanical end (I do my own maintenance). Second, their paint jobs are far superior to Winnebago. They are also very receptive to major changes if your ordering a coach.
Not taking anything away from Winnebago, they make an awesome rig and their web site is the best in the business. You can get drawings of anything, electrical, plumbing or entertainment systems with part numbers back as for as 20 years. No one else has that. For the money I'd go with Newmar.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Sorry, all this time I've been meaning to refer to the 38Q! not (P)
what did you like about the Adventurer then?
I especially like the couch and chair in them plus the 37F has them directly across from the TV.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
need opinions