Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

2015 Excursion 33B or 2011 Discovery 40X?

Both used with low miles? Discovery about 10K $$ more but made late 2011 sold as a 2012 model with the table and chairs not the dinette.

We're a couple with two dogs who are not full timers but planning to take extended trips towing our car in the next 2-3 years and probably sell the unit after finding our ideal retirement location.

Which one would you buy and why?

Help us with the decision.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #2

10k more what? Miles? ,$?

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
10k more what? Miles? ,$?
Sorry, edited.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:46 AM   #4

I would probably go with the Discovery. Much bigger with a lot more space with opposing slides but maintenance should be similar. Also the bugs should be worked out. The 2015 not so much. Nothing wrong with either one though. Similar features and equipment. Newer is not as important in motorhomes as in cars. I would go with whichever you like the most. No regrets then.
rreichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2015 Excursion 33B or 2011 Discovery 40X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreichar View Post
I would probably go with the Discovery. Much bigger with a lot more space with opposing slides but maintenance should be similar. Also the bugs should be worked out. The 2015 not so much. Nothing wrong with either one though. Similar features and equipment. Newer is not as important in motorhomes as in cars. I would go with whichever you like the most. No regrets then.

Ditto

The 40x is a very livable floorplan.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Since FW no longer makes the Providence, Discovery is their top of the line MH. The Excursion is the bottom/entry level RV. There should be obvious differences.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #7

I believe Fleetwood does make a coach above the discovery now

- Providence
- Discovery
- Expedition
- Pace Arrow
- Excursion

I have actually been going through the same decision. The 40x seems to be my preferred floorplan however I like the smaller size of the excursion. I am leaning towards the 40x for myself. I m, not really a fan of the single slide that was done in the excursions up front. However I do like the smaller size for more camping area options.....

some state they purchased their new excursion 33 or 35 for $129k new.... Some dealers/people are asking similar money for 2008 discovery 40x

For me I will make up my mind once I drive them both. Some state the excursions do not ride as well as the more expensive DP's.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:48 AM   #8

I believe the Providence is going away for 2016. When I was shopping in 2014 I drove an Excursion 35B. I was not impressed with the ride and handling. That may have been due to high tire pressures from the dealer. I ended up with a Tiffin 36LA gasser mostly because my wife preferred the floor plan over that of the Excursion. It was cheaper as well (but not as much as you might think). Also the interior of the Tiffin seemed a bit higher quality. However I really wanted a DP which led me to drive a 2015 Discovery 40X recently. I did not buy it (about $100K after my trade) but was very impressed with the ride and handling and the great living area of the 40X. The 40X has been a very popular floor plan for a number of years. That is no accident. The Excursion is an entry level DP. The Discovery is meant to appeal to a different demographic. The Wynns did a nice article/video about why the Discovery cost so much more expensive than the Excursion. Read the article and watch the video. Keep in mind that your Discovery is a bit older but generally the information is still applicable.

RV's - Why the Huge Price Difference?
Old 11-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleplay View Post
Both used with low miles? Discovery about 10K $$ more but made late 2011 sold as a 2012 model with the table and chairs not the dinette.

We're a couple with two dogs who are not full timers but planning to take extended trips towing our car in the next 2-3 years and probably sell the unit after finding our ideal retirement location.

Which one would you buy and why?

Help us with the decision.

Thanks
whats the cost????if you buy the new around 125k you'll be alright when you get rid of it..

if you pay 135 for a 2012 FW....you'll take a bath in it for sure IMHO....

I would go for the new for the the fact that no one slep in my bed...used my bath room..rode it hard and put it away wet so to speak...

are they both freightliner???? the disco will hands down ride better that the excursion....but for a few bucks you can make the 33b ride and handle pretty darn good...

I've had both a 39'r and the 33 excursion....I would still have the 33'r if it wasn't such a PITA to launch our boat...and we wanna go places with the boat in tow..
Old 11-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Haven't seen anything about the Providence going away. Fleetwood shows 2016 models on their website.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:52 AM   #11

I read that the Providence was going away on one of the other forums. I just looked at the Fleetwood website and there are 5 lines of diesel motorhomes listed. All but the Providence are listed as 2016s. Here is a screen capture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	113024  
Old 11-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
2015 was the last year for Providence. Confirmed when we were at the FW rally in June and followed with same question on factory tour when in service in October.

We had a 2010 Discovery 40K prior to the Providence. We loved it and would choose it over the Excursion... depending on final price.

Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote