Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #1

2015 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38 DBT

Has anyone out there test driven or reviewed the new 2015 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38 DBT? I saw the write up on it in the September 2014 issue of Family Motor Coaching Magazine and it looks like a really beautiful coach! Of course being beautiful and being worth buying are 2 totally different things! So I am turning to the IRV2 community to see if anyone owns one and what do they think of it. Have you had any problems with it?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I wouldn't own one as the Ambassador has been downgraded to an entrance level DP. Heck it even lacked handrail to enter mid way down the coach. Powered by a small engine that lacked ump will have you wishing you went for better. I saw one at Redmond, OR FMCA rally and asked "what the hell happen to it"? I have a review on FMCA site.
huffypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #3

Thank you for the input huffypuff. I will go over to the FMCA site and read your review there! Our coach only has a 300 HP engine, so the 340 HP engine would be more power but yes we are no stranger to "no umph" in an engine!
Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are many labeled so called"entry level coaches" on the market that folks are using and enjoy. I've got several of these "entry" coaches in our resort presently. These folks are enjoying life and like what their driving and the life style their coach offers. Maybe it is not comparable to the "old" HR but price point vs amenities may very well make this a good buy with fair quality. My suggestion drive one and look it over. YMMV
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #5

How are you going to use it? Gonna full-time? You will need more CCC and horse power. Just a couple weeks a year? You won't be carrying as much stuff so horse power is not quite as important.
FreedomDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Thank you for the input huffypuff. I will go over to the FMCA site and read your review there! Our coach only has a 300 HP engine, so the 340 HP engine would be more power but yes we are no stranger to "no umph" in an engine!
Thanks again.
Rick, Horse power is not what makes the coach go with a diesel it's the torque and at low RPM. If one engine has 340 HP and 550 torque vs 300 HP and 900 torque the 300 HP will perform better. I also forgot to mention it has a 2000 transmission compared to a 3000.
huffypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #7

Because the 2015 advertises 340 HP to a 2008 360 HP may not mean that the motorhome has been "downgraded". There have been advances to diesel engines that rate the horse power lower while torque has stayed the same. Compare torque to weight ratios. I'll bet the 340 HP 2015 diesel will still get you up the hill. If you are not confident that HR makes a motorhome that will go up the hill, go look at SOB.
FreedomDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Has anyone out there test driven or reviewed the new 2015 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38 DBT? I saw the write up on it in the September 2014 issue of Family Motor Coaching Magazine and it looks like a really beautiful coach! Of course being beautiful and being worth buying are 2 totally different things! So I am turning to the IRV2 community to see if anyone owns one and what do they think of it. Have you had any problems with it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

The new Ambassador is a solid entry level DP with a lot going for it. It's one of the first and the only Holiday Rambler DP since ASV purchased the assets of Navistar RV. As such a lot is riding on the success of this coach. If I were interested in a coach in this category then I would certainly look closely at this Ambassador.

The Cummins ISB is pretty standard in this weight and general classification of coach. With a GCWR of around 33k pounds it's certainly within the 100 pounds per hp benchmark. It's true that an ISC at 360 hp and around 400 more pounds/feet of torque would be a much stronger performer. Cummins seems to be phasing out the ISC and pushing builders to either the ISB or jumping to the ISL. Don't be misled by the torque is what you need argument. Torque is measured and hp is a calculation of torque and rpm. Torque is also multiplied by the transmission. The lowest effective torque available in 1st gear is higher than the highest torque in 2nd gear. The hp available is fixed and is not multiplied by the transmission. Hp is what holds your speed going up a hill.

If you are in the knowledge building and fact finding phase of searching for a coach, I recommend scheduling a vacation for January and spending several days at the Tampa Super Show. You will be able to see that coach and many, many more.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
This unit has a 2500 series transmission which requires an electronic Shift Energy Management system that limits the torque and is required to run 340 hp. Read about it here: http://www.allisontransmission.com/d...df?sfvrsn=4%20

This is one of the ways to reduce cost and most people will never know that the transmission is probably too light duty for a big MH.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
This unit has a 2500 series transmission which requires an electronic Shift Energy Management system that limits the torque and is required to run 340 hp. Read about it here: http://www.allisontransmission.com/d...df?sfvrsn=4%20

This is one of the ways to reduce cost and most people will never know that the transmission is probably too light duty for a big MH.

Dennis is certainly correct. This is one of the lower cost compromises of an entry level coach. It's also one of the reasons so many owners push the idea of spending the same $$ of a new entry level on a used 3 year old higher level coach.

The Cummins ISB/Allison 2500 combo seem to have a good track record. The drive train is typically the most trouble free part of a coach.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 10-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffypuff View Post
Rick, Horse power is not what makes the coach go with a diesel it's the torque and at low RPM. If one engine has 340 HP and 550 torque vs 300 HP and 900 torque the 300 HP will perform better. I also forgot to mention it has a 2000 transmission compared to a 3000.
Yes, Rick would have known that. That post was from me. Rick has worked around diesel engines all of his life. Now when I drive our MH I never feel like it has enough "umph" but I guess I am just impatient!
Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to comment. We are going to the Tampa RV show and I wanted to look at the new HR Ambassador. I figure the best place to get an honest answer concerning a MH is to ask other RVers. So I invite more responses. I will be sure to note all the things people have said about the HR so when I get to the Tampa Show I will know what to focus on.
Thanks again,
Karen
Old 10-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The new Ambassador is a solid entry level DP with a lot going for it. It's one of the first and the only Holiday Rambler DP since ASV purchased the assets of Navistar RV. As such a lot is riding on the success of this coach. If I were interested in a coach in this category then I would certainly look closely at this Ambassador.

The Cummins ISB is pretty standard in this weight and general classification of coach. With a GCWR of around 33k pounds it's certainly within the 100 pounds per hp benchmark. It's true that an ISC at 360 hp and around 400 more pounds/feet of torque would be a much stronger performer. Cummins seems to be phasing out the ISC and pushing builders to either the ISB or jumping to the ISL. Don't be misled by the torque is what you need argument. Torque is measured and hp is a calculation of torque and rpm. Torque is also multiplied by the transmission. The lowest effective torque available in 1st gear is higher than the highest torque in 2nd gear. The hp available is fixed and is not multiplied by the transmission. Hp is what holds your speed going up a hill.

If you are in the knowledge building and fact finding phase of searching for a coach, I recommend scheduling a vacation for January and spending several days at the Tampa Super Show. You will be able to see that coach and many, many more.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Hi Steve,
Thank you very much for all of your helpful information. I will certainly have a better perspective when I get to the RV show in Tampa!
Karen
Old 10-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for all of your helpful information. I will certainly have a better perspective when I get to the RV show in Tampa!

Karen

Karen,

Since you and Rick are going to Tampa I encourage you to go by the Monaco RV display and talk to Mike Snell. He's the president of the Monaco/Holiday Rambler group within ASG. He is a very hands on guy and if you ask him very specific questions he will give you an honest answer. He will be there introducing the newest Monaco Diplomat. He and his family spent a lot of time driving and living in the newly designed Dynasty so he knows motorhomes from an RVers prospective.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 10-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #14

Thank you Steve. That information will be a big help when we get to the show in Tampa. I will be sure to seek out Mike Snell, sometimes the manufacturer reps can give much better information on coaches than the dealers. Also if HR is offering any buying incentatives, it is usually information that dealers tend to omit to make more money on a sale.
Thanks again for the information,
Karen

Tags
holiday rambler