Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #1

Question 2016 Fleetwood Storm Air Conditioning

Hello All,

I have owned travel trailers in the past with no problems but in May I purchased a 2016 Fleetwood Storm 30L motor home and have had a few problems with different things like moister in the side marker lights as well as the backup lights. Have had the dealer replace them and are now all good. Next had the radio and the backup cameras go out so the dealer ordered a new radio for the dash and it took about 1 1/2 months to get and now I have to wait till Aug. 24th before they can get to it a long with a few other issues. I know there is a 90 day period where you can get things fixed under warranty but my warranty runs out the 16th of this month. This weekend 8/5/16 through 8/8/16 we went camping only to find that in 98 degree weather outside the inside of the motor home with the air conditioning set at 70 became a balmy 95 degrees. I have a 15000 BTU air conditioning on the unit. My question to you is should this unit have this problem cooling during these hot months and the other question is what should I do about it? On the other hand is there a way of possibly putting another ac unit on the motor home for better air comfort.

Thanks in advance for the responces,
Larry

Larry
Labrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 11:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Of course you're going to have problems keeping it cool.... it's 30 feet of motorhome with 2 slides and a direct dump a/c..... a 15k unit is no where near going to keep up with that in the real heat... you can forget it.

Here's some things that can help.

1) Find Shade
2) Magnashade the windshield and front windows.
3) Close the slides, at least the bedroom slide until night.
4) During the day, close the door that cuts off the bedroom.
5) Go further north
6) Stay home until the weather cools.
7) Curtain rod and heavy sheet the cab area.
8) buy fans

No kidding....

It's totally possible to replace a vent fan with another 13.5k A/C unit, and it might require a separate power extension cord to the pedestal to power it, IF you can find someone willing to take that work on.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:12 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
On second thought, 95 doesn't quite sound right.. you should at least be in the low 80's..... however I have no information about conditions...

where were you camped? Full sun or shade? Clouds, no clouds? outside temps? windshield facing sun?
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 08-08-2016, 12:35 AM   #4

Angry

Weather or not if it was in the shade or in the sun with the windshield cover and the side windows covered and with two fans going it shouldn't get that hot inside. I have owned the same size travel trailers before with the same number of slide outs and close to the same square footage with a 2000 BTU smaller air conditioning and never have I had this happen in fact we camped in the same campground at the same exact spot with no problems. So what you are blackly saying is that if I go camping I have to leave the slide outs in during the day. That's a bunch of cr__. I put a question out there and get a bullish answer as of that giving no thought to the possibility of faults to the unit. This isn't my first rodeo you know and by the way I have an outside and inside temperature gauge that tell what inside temp is and outside temp is with both the temp and humidity for both so when I said it was 98 outside and 95 inside that's what I meant.

Larry
Old 08-08-2016, 01:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
No I would say that your A/C is not working for crap, and you need to have it checked out, for sure! Everything Plasma said is true, just need to get your air working right first! Good luck! Rail!
Old 08-08-2016, 03:52 AM   #6
WDW

Check the filter in the grill. If you have an inferred temp gun, take some reading at different ambient temps and chart your data. It might help you understand/ can make your case with the dealer.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:45 AM   #7

I have a '16 Flair, cheaper cousin to the Storm. Live in SE Texas where we long for 98 degree days. My single 15k A/C will keep the coach at a comfortable 75 degrees so it does work.

I do not know for sure but I think your coach is 30A, to do a proper job of installing a second A/C you really should upgrade the shore power to 50A. This would still leave you with a 4kw generator that could not run both. If it were me, I would spend some time investigating your current system.

As far as dealers are concerned, my opinion is that you are wasting your time. In 30+ years of RVing I have not found a dealer service department that was worth anything. Take your coach to one of the factory service centers or find a good local independent shop and get on down the road.

Just my $0.02
Old 08-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #8

I think there should be a 20 degree differential between intake air temp and cool air temp. If its 95 in coach, the cold air should be blowing around 75 degrees, if not, its broke.

I usually run all my systems prior to departure to be sure everything works and no suprises. On a new coach, I would run it for weeks in the driveway to find the "early life" failures......if you can
good luck!
Old 08-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrauer View Post
Weather or not if it was in the shade or in the sun with the windshield cover and the side windows covered and with two fans going it shouldn't get that hot inside. I have owned the same size travel trailers before with the same number of slide outs and close to the same square footage with a 2000 BTU smaller air conditioning and never have I had this happen in fact we camped in the same campground at the same exact spot with no problems. So what you are blackly saying is that if I go camping I have to leave the slide outs in during the day. That's a bunch of cr__. I put a question out there and get a bullish answer as of that giving no thought to the possibility of faults to the unit. This isn't my first rodeo you know and by the way I have an outside and inside temperature gauge that tell what inside temp is and outside temp is with both the temp and humidity for both so when I said it was 98 outside and 95 inside that's what I meant.
Sorry, I didn't mean to rile you up. I missed the 98 outside part. I agree that something's not working. My previous bus, when in the texas sun with 2 15k units, couldn't cool that thing past 88 in the sun with the slides open. They leaked air like crazy. Once I started closing slides and bedroom doors it could get into the upper 70's.

My tin can heats up pretty bad with 1 15k unit if I'm in the sun in the middle of day, but not as bad as the old bus did, and it's approximately the same length as your rv.

I wholeheartedly apologize for the brass tone of my post, it was late and I was really tired, it didn't sound that way in my head at the time. I was merely suggesting that your slides could be leaking hot air, maybe have a feel around them or see if closing them makes any difference.
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 08-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #10

Pics of the temp

Ok guys this is what the inside and out side temp was in the motor home and I have pics of the thermostat setting as well. Now tell me does it look like the air conditioning is keeping up or does it look like it is not working properly.

Attachment 135706

Attachment 135707

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	135708

Name:	20160809_191333.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	135709

Name:	20160809_191306.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	135710

Name:	20160809_191438.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	135711
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160809_190437.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	135712   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160809_191426.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	135713  

Name:	20160809_185802.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	135714  

Larry
Old 08-12-2016, 02:51 AM   #11

I've have a 30 foot '99 Flair with two 13k AC's which I have modified with txv's. In the south Texas sun they struggle to keep it in the low 80's. I don't see how you can keep it cool with one AC and slides unless you have dual pane windows and much more insulation than mine.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:45 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The best advice here was measure the temp coming out of the AC. It should be 20 degrees lower than ambient. If it's very far off that something is wrong with the AC. If it is not cooling at all it could be as simple as a capacitor, about a 10 to 15 dollar item, I recently had to change one. What color is your MH, if it is dark colors that is a big problem with only one AC. When my rear AC lost the capacitor I could only manage mid 80's with the 15K front unit running. However; it is a 38 foot with 3 slides.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:40 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrauer View Post
Ok guys this is what the inside and out side temp was in the motor home and I have pics of the thermostat setting as well. Now tell me does it look like the air conditioning is keeping up or does it look like it is not working properly.
It could be freezing up some and cutting air movement down. Turn the thermostat from present lowest setting to 70-75. Maybe the AC needs a chance to cycle. And I would change the fan from auto to HI. Until night.

Also check the intake(where the filter is) temp with the output temp. If it is less then 13 the AC has problems. You should get a difference of 18-20 for a normal working AC
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #14

not sure what that red thing in your hand is, if its 60.5 degree air temp coming out of the ac then
1. fhe flow of air is to low to keep your rv cool. try putting the ac on high. also, the reason for low flow could be a clogged filter, check and ckean it. or, the unit could have frozen up. try turning it off for a few hours and let it thaw, after that run it on high.
2. if yor ac is working properly, could be that your rv is not insulated well. then, there were suggestions on shade, slides, etc worth considering

Tags
air conditioning, fleetwood