Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2016 Itasca Meridian hard ride

2016 Itasca Meridian 40R Hard Ride
I recently purchased a 2016 Itasca Meridian 40R and took it on its maiden voyage to see how it felt. Passengers on the couch indicated that the ride in the back was very rough. It was so bad that the flat screen TV broke loss from its connection and had to be held in place. They felt every bump in the road and this is not what I expected especially with the new freightliner chassis. Air pressure seems about right so I have no idea why this is happening. I live in NY and the roads are not great but I expected a softer ride than this. Any ideas or suggestions are always appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
wow I have a 2012 Itasca Meridian and run 120psi and it runs like a dream.. Im curious if you have a bad air bag. I have a friend with a 2013 that had an airbag out of position on the suspension

Old 09-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
I would call Freightliner, discuss it with them. They may direct you to a f/l dealer to inspect you air level adjusters.
ditto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tire pressure is good. It may be an air bag problem so I'll call freightliner for advise. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynforpar View Post
2016 Itasca Meridian 40R Hard Ride

I recently purchased a 2016 Itasca Meridian 40R and took it on its maiden voyage to see how it felt. Passengers on the couch indicated that the ride in the back was very rough. It was so bad that the flat screen TV broke loss from its connection and had to be held in place. They felt every bump in the road and this is not what I expected especially with the new freightliner chassis. Air pressure seems about right so I have no idea why this is happening. I live in NY and the roads are not great but I expected a softer ride than this. Any ideas or suggestions are always appreciated.

Tom n Nancy

2016 Winnebago Itasca Meridian

2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel

The most common issue is the tire pressure. I know you say the pressure seems right but have you checked the manufacturers chart? Your coach has a 14,320 GAWR for the steer and 24,000 GAWR for the drive axle. Until you have the coach weighed you should inflate to carry that weight. With a basically empty coach, that could give you a somewhat rough ride.

What is your tire size and what are your inflation pressures? Ride height can affect ride but it's a subtle difference. If ride height was off very much, You would probably see a tilt to the coach. It's a common misconception that the air bags adjust ride height by increased or decreased pressure. The pressure required to lift the coach off the frame stops is totally dependent on the weight of the coach. The ride height is controlled by the volume of air allowed in by the ride height valves.

It may turn out to be a road surface issue more than anything else.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have a 2015 Itasca Meridian 36M and run it at 120psi and it rides like a dream. We based it on what the chart says is maximum.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tires call for 120psi cold and I'm running at 100psi. Dealer told me I would get the best ride at 100 but now I'm questioning this.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynforpar View Post
Tires call for 120psi cold and I'm running at 100psi. Dealer told me I would get the best ride at 100 but now I'm questioning this.
The ONLY way you can have the correct tire pressure is to have the coach weighed at each corner then pressurize the tire(s) at that corner based on the tire manufacturer's chart for that model tire.
Running at maximum pressure can be as bad as running at a pressure that is too low.
I would NEVER take the word of a dealer. Do your homework, friends. A blowout at 65 MPH on a motorhome is a dangerous situation and a TPMS is not going to save you from a blowout due to sidewall failure because you were overinflated.
Travel safe.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
How did it ride when you test drove it before you bought it?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #10

Are your airbags inflating when you start the engine? Sometimes they don't inflate if you don't use the proper leveler jack retract procedure.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
It may turn out to be a road surface issue more than anything else.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
I have just come off the roads in Southeastern, NY and they are indeed BAD!

Tags
itasca