Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #1

2016 Thor Outlaw LS cracked end cap

The following was a chat message that I had on Facebook with whomever attends the account for Thor Industries. As a quick aside, I had already been denied by the customer service rep that I contacted at Thor.

Chat Conversation Start

12/14/2017 2:15pm - ME
Warranty or not, when a 2016 splits in two while parked, probably due to the cold weather, I would expect the company to stand behind their build quality.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_135235.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	187649

12/14/2017 4:44pm - THOR
Hi David, Thank you for letting us know about your experience. Can you tell us a little more about which RV you own? Thanks, Thor Industries

12/14/2017 6:35pm - ME
It's a 2016.5 Outlaw LS. Purchased from Performance RV in Ohio. Owned it for less than 7 months before this happened. The pieces aren't just cracked, they are separated like the piece shrunk and cracked.

12/14/2017 7:00pm - ME
I understand that things break, that issues arise that need to be addressed. I can demonstrate that this occurred while parked. The image following this message was taken 1 week prior, showing that the awning was pulling away from the rear. That is a repair that I assumed was mine to deal with. You can clearly see the screws failing to hold up the awning assembly. Because of this, I was afraid to move the vehicle until the repair.

Name:	20171104_153305.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	187650
As you can see, at this point, everything was still together.

These images show the damaged area in closer detail.

Name:	20171125_135357.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	187651

Name:	20171125_160354.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	187652
The image showing the Jeep is to demonstrate where the vehicle was parked, showing that there are no trees or other potential falling objects that would have caused the damage.

My insurance has refused to cover the damage, as they have attributed it to 'wear and tear'.

I am not looking for any more than what I feel is right. I understand that the warranty period has expired, but I'm inclined to believe this is either a faulty part or manufacturing defect that caused this problem. I can't help but think that a $120,000 vehicle should, at least, not fall apart while parked.

This is my 4th rv. I've had a 1988 coachman, a 1995 chateau, a 2005 Georgie boy, and now this one. I get compliments on this one all the time, and I always tell people how much I love this rv. I'm hopeful that we can reach a fair agreement so I can continue to sing the praises of the Thor brand.

12/15/2017 9:23am - THOR
Hi David,

Thank you so much for sharing so much context with us. Our aim at Thor Industries is for every owner to love every product purchased from one of our subsidiaries. As each subsidiary handles its own customer service, the best way to receive answers quickly will be through Thor Motor Coach. To contact them, visit
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/customer-care/ or call 800-860-5658.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you,
Thor Industries

Customer Care | Thor Motor Coach
Contact a Customer Care Representative at Thor Motor Coach
thormotorcoach.com

12/15/2017 11:08am - ME
That was my first line of approach. Unfortunately, the customer service rep that I communicated with was unwilling to hear anything I had to say regarding the context. The response I received was that I was out of warranty and that was the end of the conversation. I'm hoping that whomever monitors this feed is able to advance this issue on my behalf, beyond a customer service rep. I hoping that you would consider the extenuating circumstances surrounding this issue, and consider my request with a more thoughtful eye towards the issue.

12/19/2017 9:04am - THOR
Hi David, We apologize that you have had this experience, and understand your frustration. Because each subsidiary handles its own customer service, you have gone through the best channels to receive assistance. However, we will send your concerns about the process and the service you've received to the appropriate contacts. Can you provide us with contact information and your VIN number to pass along so that we can continue to address your concerns through the best offline channels? Thanks, Thor Industries

12/19/2017 10:02am - ME
Thank you for getting back to me. My frustration stems from the fact that there is no consideration as to the individual situation, and that my claim may have merit. The blanket statement that I am out of warranty, and therefore, effectively dropped by Thor is what has me so frustrated. My info follows: (hidden)

12/20/2017 4:47pm - THOR
Hi David, Thank you for providing that information. We have alerted leadership to your experience and hope this will help expedite a solution for you. Thor Industries

12/20/2017 7:51pm - ME
Thank you for advancing this on my behalf. It can be challenging to know where to turn within a large corporation, and when the decision is, in fact, the final one. I remain optimistic that an equitable decision can be reached. To that end, I would be willing to cover the installation cost for the part if Thor was willing to supply a painted replacement. Consider it a good faith gesture on my part.

Name:	20171222_140946.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	187653

Name:	20171222_141009.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	187654
12/27/2017 11:47am This clearly shows the separation in the two pieces, as I've claimed. It's best seen in the painted dicor on the roof. I've also included a photo of the piece that broke off, for reference.
Noble6047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #2

Just looking for opinions

My question to the group... Am I unreasonable in my belief that this should be considered a faulty part? I've heard many stories about the rear end of the Outlaws cracking. Shouldn't the factory bear some responsibility for poor quality materials?

I've tried to keep this as amicable as possible, but after a week with no response, I think they've dumped me on the Facebook chat as well.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

While this will do little but offer morale support, you seem to be MORE than reasonable in your request. You are asking for what appears to be correction of a faulty part and, if it were my company, I’d cover the entire cost. You are NOT asking for repair of a 25 year old vehicle. Something so close to the expiration of the warranty period ending would seem to be completely covered if ONLY to generate good will. You want to split the costs, no pun intended, and that is very reasonable.

I’d like to see you post updates as it makes a big difference to those of us who might be considering purchase of a Thor product. I have a friend who is purchasing her first RV and likes the Thor line. I’ll certainly pass along your experience, bad or good (hopefully), as I think it makes a difference in what I’d recommend purchasing.

GOOD LUCK and keep pressing them. It is absolutely true that the squeaky wheel gets attention.

MrB1LL
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #4

Haha. Thanks for the moral support. I was beginning to wonder if I was totally out of line in my request. I noticed the rear awning pulling away a few weeks prior. All of the upper bolts holding it on had stripped loose, so I was extremely wary about moving it - at all. I took the picture showing the bolts stripping loose to post on here and ask about potential fixes. The following week, after getting some great advice in the forum here, I went out to fix it and saw the crack. It literally broke while parked. Part plus paint plus install, I'm looking at close to $2k.

The annual RV show here in Pittsburgh starts this weekend. I'm hoping to find a Thor rep at the show and see about working that channel. Will keep you posted.

FYI, Performance RV in Ohio, where I bought it has been great. They have reached out to me independently to ask if they could be any help, and are willing to step up for me. Great group out there. I told them I'm waiting to see how Thor responds before asking them to get involved.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #5

Frustrating situation but hopefully you will find the person who sees that doing the right thing is paramount for business success. Hard for me to see how this could happen except either 1) abuse or 2) defect. The photos you posted don’t readily show abuse so then #2 seems the only logical explanation. Maybe cornering a THOR rep and having them see the issue in person is the answer.

Again, good luck!
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #6

I am curious as to why Performance RV is not helping you out. They are able to escalate post warranty issues better.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
I am curious as to why Performance RV is not helping you out. They are able to escalate post warranty issues better.
I was told that any resolution that may be offered would be between me and Thor. As a dealer, they can, as you said, lend some weight behind my words and I may ultimately ask them to get involved. But my first course of action is to exhaust my dealings with Thor directly.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #8

Thor QC

I had my kitchen counters fall off the wall in my 2016 Tuscany XTE. I was six months out of warranty. Thor eventually paid 70% of the repair cost. While waiting for their decision, which I felt took too long, I went to every RV show in my area. I hung out around every Thor display and showed the pictures of my sloppy workmanship to every prospect that stopped at the display. The Thor rep at the show finally talked to me and made contact on my behalf.
cmsdcb1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow! That's pretty incredible. I think you are being way too reasonable. If that were my coach I would be climbing up the Thor corporate ladder looking for someone to step forward and take some responsibility for what appears to be a manufacturing defect. Thor should at least be willing to look at the damage and attempt to determine the cause and provide resolution in some form. They can at least look at it a tell you it is your fault (though it seems obvious that it is not) and provide a repair path. To do nothing is the worst possible response. This kind of action only adds to Thor's already poor reputation concerning quality.
Defects do happen, a company's willingness to stand behind the product and make the customer happy is one of the defining attributes of a good company.
Please keep us posted as to how this works out for you.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #10

This should be read from the bottom up, as it is the email chain conversation with the customer service rep at Thor. Clearly no regard to the circumstances, and, surprisingly, a mild accusation that my 'story' was not 100% truthful. With this type of response from their customer service representative, totally dismissive of my situation, is it any wonder I feel so ignored.

David,

Unfortunately David the warranty expired over a year ago and there is no coverage to the unit any longer.

Regards,

Rebecca Meade
Thor Motor coach

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 4:59 PM
To: Rebecca D. Meade <rdmeade@tmcrv.com>
Subject: RE

Rebecca, I can tell you with 100% certainty that there was no impact of any type and that the unit was parked when this occurred. All parts of the broken area are accounted for, and there is now a large separation in the two halves of the broken piece. There are no impact dents in the damaged area or other markings that would suggest an impact of some type. It appears as though the piece shrunk in the cold and snapped in two. Are you telling me that I should have no expectation as to the integrity of the body of this vehicle?

David

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 3:25 PM
To: David
Subject: RE:

David,

Thank you for the pictures. I have no way of knowing what happened here, but it does look like an impact of some sort. Unfortunately, there is no longer any type of coverage on the unit.

Rebecca Meade
Thor Motor Coach

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 2:43 PM
To: Rebecca D. Meade <rdmeade@tmcrv.com>
Subject: FW:

Hi Rebecca, I’m hoping that you can help me out once again.

I was up at my RV about a month ago to winterize the unit and when I went around back I noticed the entire upper back piece had cracked into 3 pieces. I’m attaching some photos of the area. This happened while parked and it is clear of any potential falling limbs or similar. Can you tell me how this could have happened? I’m less than 1 year into ownership of this vehicle (2nd owner) and it’s literally falling apart while sitting still!! I’m looking at potentially $1,000+ repair job for something that just broke on its own.

Is there anything that you can do on your end to help cover this repair? I know I’m out of warranty, but I don’t think it unreasonable on my part to have expectations regarding structural integrity of the body of the vehicle beyond a 1 year warranty period.

David

Old 01-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #11

If that crack resulted from an impact, where are the scratches on the plastic from the impact? I don't see any.

Everyone it seems has at least one of these stories to tell, as they move thru their experiences with RVs. Sorry to hear of your troubles and no, it ain't right. I would get it out of the snow, bomb cyclone, rain and floods and take it to a body shop, I'm thinking the repair will be north of $3k, if you can get the part from Thor.

Good luck!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:08 PM   #12

Thor seems to have an unerring ability to shoot themselves in the foot...
Old 01-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #13

Is the break an injection molded plastic piece? It doesn't look like fiberglass from the pictures. Do you have all of the pieces to close up the gap or did some get lost?

I guess the only good news is it looks like it's black and no other colors were damaged, so the paint fix won't be bad to do.

Looking at the pictures of the top, looks like the rear cap has waves in it from where it was attached to the roof.

Wonder if the plastic got brittle in the cold and cracked. I doubt it "shrunk".

I was on their side of the warranty question for many years. It's not easy to say no. But that was the agreement when the vehicle was purchased. Where does it begin and end? Most vehicle repair issues "should'nt have happened" but they do.

I would at this point be thinking more about the most effective way to get it repaired. If it was fiberglass, that would be straightforward body work. Not sure about the plastic without knowing specifically of what type of plastic it is. That's something Thor can answer. Is that top panel joined towards the top or is all part of the rear cap? If the latter...that's going to be way more than $3K to fix. That's a pretty big job. If it is seamed and it's just the top, then it's closer to $3K just looking at the pictures. If the plastic can be reinforced, repaired from the backside and body blended at the topside, then it's probably $1K - like if it was fiberglass.

Service Contracts fill some of the gap post warranty. Most don't cover body parts like your damage. Some expensive ones might.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:26 AM   #14

It is a plastic piece, not fiberglass. And there are no additional parts aside from the triangular piece I'm showing in the one image. The separation is a separation, which is why it appears that the piece shrunk (call it 'settled' if that's more palatable terminology).

I understand the need for a cut off point for certain issues, but I can't believe that I should just eat this one. What if your wheels fell off? What if the side wall if your 2016 unit broke loose and collapsed? What if all the walls collapsed? Is it just more acceptable for me to deal with it because it's a smaller repair? Would you just chalk up a $50k repair? What about $10k? At what level of poor quality should I just assume financial responsibility? At what point do we hold the manufacturer responsible for either poor assemble or poor materials? There is a legal term called implied warranty. Whether that has bearing in this case I don't know.

Tags
outlaw, thor