Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 08:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Just a comment on travel and service.
I typically travel 250 miles to have Premier RV in Junction city do our work.
I have no issue traveling that far to have something fixed right/once.
So if the best brand and service is 180 miles, that's a easy drive that more than likely you will make far fewer times than to a close dealer who fixes the same thing 3 times.
Just my opinion, hope it helps.
Yea TMAN, I agree. If we decide to go new, Tom's place will be top on the list after all the glaring positive reviews he has received. I am tired of shady RV sales people that have no clue what they are selling.
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #16

Hmmmm, personally I would not compare the Tiffin 36LA to a Bounder 36Y. Different layout.
Yes, the 36Y comes on a 24k chassis, and the one I saw had a CCC of over 3400lbs. Very nice for a gas coach with 3 slides. I almost had regrets about buying my 35k EXCEPT that 36Y shower. OMG, if you do not weigh less thank 150lbs, I am not sure you can squeeze through the shower door!
So I had a breathe of relief and still happy with my 35K.

(Oh, for those following my saga, it's still at Lazydays as it has been for the past five (5) months, I'll write a thread on that some time, meanwhile, don't take any warranty work to Lazydays unless you have 5 months to spare of using a new coach)

I did the comparison last year on the 36LA and 35K. Last year the 35K won for a couple of reasons to me. Price being the biggest. MSRP was considerably different and the discount I could negotiate on a 35K was considerably larger (but '17 the MSRP on the Bounder went up ALOT). Also, the shower in the 36LA was the neo-angle and I really wanted a nice large rectangular one. There was only one other in consideration (based on the large shower) and it was a Winnebago but the amenities in the Bounder far and away win out over Winnie when I was looking. Newmar was even more expensive than the Tiffin.
You should really decide what is important to you.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
(Oh, for those following my saga, it's still at Lazydays as it has been for the past five (5) months, I'll write a thread on that some time, meanwhile, don't take any warranty work to Lazydays unless you have 5 months to spare of using a new coach)

I did the comparison last year on the 36LA and 35K. Last year the 35K won for a couple of reasons to me. Price being the biggest. MSRP was considerably different and the discount I could negotiate on a 35K was considerably larger (but '17 the MSRP on the Bounder went up ALOT). Also, the shower in the 36LA was the neo-angle and I really wanted a nice large rectangular one. There was only one other in consideration (based on the large shower) and it was a Winnebago but the amenities in the Bounder far and away win out of Winnie when I was looking. Newmar was even more expensive than the Tiffin.
You should really decide what is important to you.
So price was more important to you than having a MH you could use rather than your MH sitting in a shop for 5 months waiting to be repaired. So you save a few thousand, but still have no MH to use while you continue to wait. That doesn't make any sense to me. You won't see a Newmar sitting in the shop for 5 months for warranty work. You get what you pay for and sometimes that extra few thousand dollars is priceless. They may all need some things repaired from time to time, but ours has never stayed even overnight for any repairs or adjustments. Plus Newmars have some of the biggest showers out there.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #18

Here are a couple things you should do that the majority of rv shoppers don't do, look in the bathroom furthest from the front or the smallest bathroom look under the sink very quick and with flashlight slowly at the pipes the seals, the cutting and finish of the wood, and then where the pipes come up in the floor, next go to the main bed and do the same thing,
After that go outside to the dump station/water station and get on your back underneath it and do the same thing. those 3 places are least often looked at and when built are typicaly least finished on a coach. you go to a show and what most people do is look at the blinds, the counter tops and open cupboard doors, and furnishing fabric's maybe lay on the bed and open a shower door and outside they open a bay door or two but not really lup up at the wiring/insulation. Dealerships and manufacturers rely on this and tend to make those area's the cleanest and most presentable which is mostly all cosmetics, you need to look in those darker less traveled uncomfortable spots to see the true quality of the unit.

sure you need to do deeper looking once you decide on a few units but those 3 spots will give you a general feel on how the rest of the coach is going to be like.

As for high end gas class A's both the newmar Canyon star and Tiffin allegro Open road are heads and shoulders better quality than everyone elses top gas class a models imho.

good luck!
covfam73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
So price was more important to you than having a MH you could use rather than your MH sitting in a shop for 5 months waiting to be repaired. So you save a few thousand, but still have no MH to use while you continue to wait. That doesn't make any sense to me. You won't see a Newmar sitting in the shop for 5 months for warranty work. You get what you pay for and sometimes that extra few thousand dollars is priceless. They may all need some things repaired from time to time, but ours has never stayed even overnight for any repairs or adjustments. Plus Newmars have some of the biggest showers out there.
This makes perfect sense to me.

I don't really understand "covfam's" logic either. I don't care about buying the lowest priced MH, I want a quality one.... one that doesn't sit in the shop for 5 months. As soon as he said that, the Bounder got the axe. LOL I had my concerns about fit and finish with the Bounder to begin with but it ridiculous that its been in a shop for 5 months.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam73 View Post
Here are a couple things you should do that the majority of rv shoppers don't do, look in the bathroom furthest from the front or the smallest bathroom look under the sink very quick and with flashlight slowly at the pipes the seals, the cutting and finish of the wood, and then where the pipes come up in the floor, next go to the main bed and do the same thing,
After that go outside to the dump station/water station and get on your back underneath it and do the same thing. those 3 places are least often looked at and when built are typicaly least finished on a coach. you go to a show and what most people do is look at the blinds, the counter tops and open cupboard doors, and furnishing fabric's maybe lay on the bed and open a shower door and outside they open a bay door or two but not really lup up at the wiring/insulation. Dealerships and manufacturers rely on this and tend to make those area's the cleanest and most presentable which is mostly all cosmetics, you need to look in those darker less traveled uncomfortable spots to see the true quality of the unit.

sure you need to do deeper looking once you decide on a few units but those 3 spots will give you a general feel on how the rest of the coach is going to be like.

As for high end gas class A's both the newmar Canyon star and Tiffin allegro Open road are heads and shoulders better quality than everyone elses top gas class a models imho.

good luck!
Did you do this kind of inspection on the Bounder 35k you bought? To me, I could tell the quality difference without looking underneath anything. The Tiffin was far ahead in quality and workmanship than the Bounder. I haven't seen a Newmar yet, since there are no dealers here, but I can imagine it is quite good based on what I read.

I have read some issues with Tiffin so that gave me pause in buying one at this time. I also don't trust the salesperson at the local Tiffin dealer (which is HUGE for me).
Old 07-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoticov View Post
This makes perfect sense to me.

I don't really understand "covfam's" logic either. I don't care about buying the lowest priced MH, I want a quality one.... one that doesn't sit in the shop for 5 months. As soon as he said that, the Bounder got the axe. LOL I had my concerns about fit and finish with the Bounder to begin with but it ridiculous that its been in a shop for 5 months.
I do believe my words have been mistaken. My words and point are directly at LAZYDAYS specifically in Tampa.
"...don't take any warranty work to Lazydays unless you have 5 months to spare of using a new coach..." Also in my comments were "... still happy with my 35K."

The problem I had were minor at worst. Lazydays continually pushed my coach to the back of the line. When they did bring it in they would look at one item, decide it needed a part, then order the part and wait. They put the coach back in their storage lot. Then the part would come in and do the same stuff. Look at the next item on the list, decide it needed a part, over and over for 5 months.
REV/Fleetwood has been AWESOME. They apologized and even extended my warranty for the amount of time it was in the incompetent Lazydays lot.
Also, it was not about the cheapest RV. Heck if I was doing that I could have purchased a Georgetown. I had a certain budget and wanted the best I could afford. I suppose I could work another year or 2 and buy a Tiffin or Newmar. I chose not to work anymore and at 52 I will be retired next year. No pension, no disability, no inheritance, no entitlements, no debt just good old fashioned hard work and being smart with the money I made.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam73 View Post

good luck!
Yep, I definitely did what you mention. Even took pics to look at them at home. Is a Bounder perfect? Nope it's not. For the price point though it was the best for the budget. Some pics of the sink you mention.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1793.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	133796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	133797  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1802.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	133798  
Old 07-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #23
HGC

Bounder vs Tiffin

We have a Tiffin 36LA and ordered it through a really BS dealer with the idea of getting quality. Forget it . I have had the opportunity to check out some Fleetwoods and they are just as well built IMHO. Our 36LA has been nothing more than a 2 year nightmare of problems too numerous to waste time going over them. I just spent the day re-securing the dashboard to the cap. Just one in the "bag of beats". Tomorrow will replacing the main breakers with 50A breakers that should have never passed through the factory or the miserable PDI supplied by our dealer that we paid for. The Bounder can be a really great coach for less$$. And according to our friends who have them they have great factory service. Wish I would have bought one. Goodluck. Oh, by the way my brother in law has a 2001 Southwind, and has had MUCH less problems with it than our 2014 LA.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
We have a Tiffin 36LA and ordered it through a really BS dealer with the idea of getting quality. Forget it . I have had the opportunity to check out some Fleetwoods and they are just as well built IMHO. Our 36LA has been nothing more than a 2 year nightmare of problems too numerous to waste time going over them. I just spent the day re-securing the dashboard to the cap. Just one in the "bag of beats". Tomorrow will replacing the main breakers with 50A breakers that should have never passed through the factory or the miserable PDI supplied by our dealer that we paid for. The Bounder can be a really great coach for less$$. And according to our friends who have them they have great factory service. Wish I would have bought one. Goodluck. Oh, by the way my brother in law has a 2001 Southwind, and has had MUCH less problems with it than our 2014 LA.
Yea, its those kind of things I have read from more than one person on Tiffin's QC that scares me from buying one.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #25

Ok, someone talk me down! Lol

We just went and looked at a 2017 Bounder 35k....we love the cabinets and Floorplan (especially the drop down bunk). I was surprised at how well it drove and the quality overall. It didn't seem or feel cheap at all.

We are going back a few for on how much they will discount the Bounder and how much they will give for my trade. The problem is I don't really know what my trade is really worth. They are will to give me 30k for my 2012 thor hurricane 30q (which I bought for $47k only 4 months ago) and they are willing to sell the Bounder for $130k (MSRP is $183k). So they are willing to discount almost 30% but give me crappie for my trade. But..what's fair for my trade? That's the question.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoticov View Post
Ok, someone talk me down! Lol

We just went and looked at a 2017 Bounder 35k....we love the cabinets and Floorplan (especially the drop down bunk). I was surprised at how well it drove and the quality overall. It didn't seem or feel cheap at all.

We are going back a few for on how much they will discount the Bounder and how much they will give for my trade. The problem is I don't really know what my trade is really worth. They are will to give me 30k for my 2012 thor hurricane 30q (which I bought for $47k only 4 months ago) and they are willing to sell the Bounder for $130k (MSRP is $183k). So they are willing to discount almost 30% but give me crappie for my trade. But..what's fair for my trade? That's the question.
All I can say is either take the drive to Moorpark and look at the Canyon Star 3710, or call Tom before you buy. The MSRP on that Canyon Star is 183K also, and the price difference will be very close considering the amount of purchase. Even if the Newmar is a few thousand more, it will be money well spent in my opinion. If you like the Bounder fit/finish you will love the Newmar. I believe that you would opt for the Newmar once you see it.Tom will give you a fair price for you current MH and will let you know what that price is. Also he doesn't have any hidden fees like PDI ect. Once again with a purchase this big on any MH that will depreciate over time, don't get caught up in seeing all the glam and glitter and jump into something, look at them all before you pull the trigger, you will be glad you did whichever way you decide to go. Good luck with your decision.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
All I can say is either take the drive to Moorpark and look at the Canyon Star 3710, or call Tom before you buy. The MSRP on that Canyon Star is 183K also, and the price difference will be very close considering the amount of purchase. Even if the Newmar is a few thousand more, it will be money well spent in my opinion. If you like the Bounder fit/finish you will love the Newmar. Tom will give you a fair price for you current MH and will let you know what that price is. Also he doesn't have any hidden fees like PDI ect. Once again with a purchase this big on any MH that will depreciate over time, don't get caught up in seeing all the glam and glitter and jump into something, look at hem all before you pull the trigger, you will be glad you did whichever way you decide to go. Good luck with your decision.
We do like the Newmar but the issue is it doesn't have the drop down bed and that (or either bunk beds) is pretty much a must. I did contact Tom and talked to him on the phone, he was super nice. I actually talked to him about the 3306 he has (which has bunk beds) but he is on vacation and if I email him some pics of my coach with the details, he would give me a fair price on the trade in. He did say he would take $100k for the 3306 (its a 2016 Baystar Sport).

That's what I say that I was honestly surprised and how well the fit and finish was on the Bounder. I wasn't expecting it. I also don't see a ton of bad reviews on the Bounders in general... not near as many as I have seen from the Tiffin owners.

We aren't in a hurry and won't be rushed to making a decision so we are taking our time and making sure we make the right decision for us.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
I think the Baystar has 19.5" wheels where the FW 35k and Canyon Star has 22.5" wheels.
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fleetwood, tiffin