Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #1

2019 Discovery LXE vs Monaco Signature

Hoping someone has already been thru this research and can help me identify the differences between these to coaches. I searched the forum but could not find much detail. I did find one thread from October 2018 that talked about the aquahot models being different, furniture upgrade and the additional coats of paint. From what I could identify the Monaco looks like it has a body more like an American Coach Dream, 450hp and a side radiator. Right now the sales are running to clear out inventory. We are pretty certain that we are pulling the trigger on either a Signature 40J or LXE 40G. Trying to determine if the Signature is worth the 50K premium.

I know there are going to be differing views on make/model/brand and price spread. What I am after is actual differences between the two models.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would expect the Signature to be more upscale in trim and use better components, as befits a more upscale model. Whether it is worth it or not depends more on your viewpoint. Yes, the Signature is about the same class of price & quality as the Dream and both are above the Discovery in the Rev Group product line-up.

I'm assuming you have matched the brochures closely and noted the feature differences. You can also look up the chassis spec details on the Freightliner chassis site to see any differences. I think you will see differences there, e.g. IFS vs solid axle, different GVWRs, etc. Look up Discovery under Fleetwood brand and Signature under Monaco brand.

https://www.fcccrv.com/coaches/
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #3

Updated info - Monaco Sig vs Discovery LXE

Thought I would post what I found out while touring the two units today in case anyone else is looking for this information.

This is what I can remember. I only listed the updated component/features on the Monaco - plenty of info on the LXE on the forum.

Basically the Monaco is a muted American Coach Dream

Liberty 2 frame - 10 inches wider than the XLE frame

Independent front suspension

Valid air leveling system on coach in addition to hydraulic jacks

Bigger tires and wheels (can't remember the size - same as the American Dream.)

TPMS

450 cummins

Side radiator

Engine brake (like the jake brakes) rather than the exhaust brake on the LXE.

Adjustable brake/gas pedals

Different navigation system (Rand Mcnalley I think)

450D Aquahot

Upgraded Firefly Multiplex System w/ 10" Vega Touch Screen

2 xtra coats of paint/clearcoat

Higher end cabinetry

Higher end furniture

Larger TV in front over driver area

Upgraded mattresses

Whirlpool convection microwave

Heated floors front and back

Ceiling fan in bedroom

Fold down seat in shower - upgraded shower head

Storage under the front steps

This may all be research that does not apply going forward. Rumor has it Monaco is going away and the Revolution is coming back to the American Coach line to fill the Signature/Marquis gap.

Hope this helps someone else in the future. I've learned many things on this forum so my hope is to give back a bit.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you can afford the price, the Monaco sounds like a winner. IFS and Liberty chassis. REV has moved the Discovery upscale but not to that extent.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If the Signature is just a copy, why not get the American Dream instead of either one?

Rev spent a lot of money to buy the Monaco/HR /Beaver brand names but then just produced badge-sisters to various Fleetwood and American Coach models. Did they think the Monaco fans wouldn't notice and would just blindly buy them because it said Monaco on the front? But then they messed around with the Fleetwood and AC product lines until those are no longer recognizable either. My advice is to buy a Newmar and stay away from Rev Group altogether.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Normally Gary I agree with most of your posts. I understand where you are coming from in regards to REV and Monaco. REV did offer the same floorplans in the Holiday Rambler/Fleetwood lines; AC and Monaco lines. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. However, they still represent middle of the road build quality and offer a fair amount of bang for the buck. I'm happy with my 2 year old Discovery
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If the Signature is just a copy, why not get the American Dream instead of either one?

Rev spent a lot of money to buy the Monaco/HR /Beaver brand names but then just produced badge-sisters to various Fleetwood and American Coach models. Did they think the Monaco fans wouldn't notice and would just blindly buy them because it said Monaco on the front? But then they messed around with the Fleetwood and AC product lines until those are no longer recognizable either. My advice is to buy a Newmar and stay away from Rev Group altogether.
The American Dream doesn't have the floorplan we want. And for 2019 American Coach isn't offering a non tag 40 foot coach. 2018 was the last year they built the Dream SE that had the bunk model floorplan. We can't find an American Coach with bunks on the side. Rear bunks will not work for us. I know it's not the Monaco of yesteryear but not much is since the bankers crashed the market in 08.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
My advice is to buy a Newmar and stay away from Rev Group altogether.
Since the Rev group has all but abandoned the early Monaco lineup other than selling parts to them, this is not bad advice, IMHO. History always repeats itself.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:52 AM   #9

If I were looking for a new coach now I would probably be looking at a Newmar as well. I’ve done a lot of upgrades to my coach to get it where I’m happy with it, but the Monaco’s of yesteryear are gone, I think they only exist in name only now. So I would say I agree with Gary.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #10

Circling Back to Gary's Advice - Newmar was an eye opener.

We looked at Newmar Dutch Star models this past Friday. At the price point of a Monaco Signature the Newmar was an eye opener. Very nice coaches. Now we have our sights set on a late model used Newmar bunk model. Haven't found "the one" yet but we are looking. Thanks for the feedback and advise.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:31 AM   #11

We were on the same Monaco vs Lxe debate.

The lxe does have independent front suspension to clarify an earlier comment.

Any the end of the day they are like different trim levels in the Ford F-150 line up.

If the Monaco is a F150 platinum then the Lxe is a loaded up Lariat.

We couldn’t justify the extra spend for an identical floor plan so we went lxe. Zero regrets.

Tags
monaco, cover, discovery