Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Any engine can have a leak.

The current Prevost buses will only have the D13 as the cradle cannot accommodate a larger engine. The D13 is extremely adequate with 1,750 lb. ft. of torque moving our 55,500 lb. coach nice and smoothly.

The D13 is fuel efficient, quieter and has more torque than the Detroit Diesel it replaced.

The newer Prevost buses (2019+?) have bank of electric fans for the radiator (6 or 7). The fans will reverse to remove ice/snow/leaves as needed.

Mark
Yep, but on a 2.8 million showpiece
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #30

Powells.....I'm sure Nelson, the owner of Millennium, was cringing if he saw it.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #31

That 9kw steam shower is going to pull a lot of power when plugged in, you would have to pay attention to what other electrical loads you put on the shore power. Would hate to see the new owners have to go to a "Green Acres" style numbering system for the rest of the electrical to avoid blowing the 50 amp at the stand. They could also run that 20kw genny for power and let their campground neighbors enjoy the sound and smell of that while the owners relax and take a steam!!

Practical?-NO
cinitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinitall View Post
That 9kw steam shower is going to pull a lot of power when plugged in, you would have to pay attention to what other electrical loads you put on the shore power. Would hate to see the new owners have to go to a "Green Acres" style numbering system for the rest of the electrical to avoid blowing the 50 amp at the stand. They could also run that 20kw genny for power and let their campground neighbors enjoy the sound and smell of that while the owners relax and take a steam!!

Practical?-NO
Most coaches in this price range have a load shedding and management system, which will prioritize some loads and drop off others, so as not to exceed the incoming current. They will recognize 30 or 50 amp service automatically, and not allow coach to exceed those limits.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
jcussen, thanks for the info.

We looked really hard at Newell when we were wanting a new coach. What sold me on the Prevost was that there are Prevost centers across the country that are fully stocked for chassis components and offer mobile services in many area's.

We live in CA and in TN so we do a lot of driving back and forth. Looking on the road, we just didn't see very many Newell's compared to Prevosts. That sold me right there.

I would think that Newell has a network of chassis authorized facilities across the country. They are beautiful coaches.

Safe travels,
Mark

You don't see many Newell coaches on the road because Newell builds so few each year (24 units are scheduled but they've build more).

Newell has a bunch of authorized service providers - Cummins Coach Care and CAT RV chief among them - but also have a number of independent shops and technicians from chassis to coach to body & paint shops.

Some really great folks running the Newell shop and office, too. If I had $2m to shop with, Newell would be at the top of my list.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #34

Solo...

Keep in mind, every coach manufacturer is a 'compromise' of something, Prevost included. A couple of things that I don't like about the Newell are the bi-fold cargo doors. It looked to me like it could cause a severe hand pinch if you or a child's hand in in the wrong place. I also didn't care for the pneumatic front door (just my taste).

I know they offer, or used to, the side mirrors coming from the belt-line but most seem to have them attached to the upper part of the front cap. I would prefer the lower attached mirrors because if they are up higher, the passenger side sunshade is about 18" too short from the A-pillar. That really surprised me when I saw that.

I understand the premise of it, the mirrors are never to be blocked when lowering the shade. As you know, even with the best shade, a sliver of sun will find it's way in!

Now, the likes...... They have very nice floor plans, they offer a mid-ship door, larger engine, window and front door awnings, etc., that you don't have on the newer Prevost's.

Safe travels,
Mark
Old 02-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #35
srh

Newmar Owners Club
If you own a Newell, it almost behooves you to take it to the factory for service. Their techs know the Newell coaches from A to Z and. I had an air leak in my 2008 Newell. I took it to a supposedly reputable high end coach repair facility. They worked on it for 12 + hours (at $135/hr) and couldn't quite find where the leaks were. I took it to Newell, the crew that worked on the coach suspension found the leaks and got them fixed in less than an hour and half. When I left their shop, they had done more fixes for around $3,500 than I could never have gotten done elsewhere.

I had installed a Glass Dash that had some issues. Again, their electronic experts fine tuned it in about two hours. They let me stay in my coach while it was in their shop. Overall, a great experience!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #36

Also keep in mind that 50 amp coaches are really 100 amp coaches. We could draw 50 amps on each leg. Now, that is really pushing it and I would not recommend it.

I was told not to pull more that 80 amps (40 on each leg). I've done that many times without flipping a breaker. Since our coach is fully electric (diesel fired furnace), I have to watch sometimes what we are using.

I try not to run the dryer when I'm trying to run four air units (normally two is plenty). We have 'hot water on demand' for the shower if I want to use it. That will pull a good amount of amps. We also have a hot water tank too. The engine (when running) has a loop to keep the tank hot.

Mark
Old 02-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #37

My older Newell did not have a load management system, but if you turned on the 220 volt 4500 watt element on the aqua-hot, it would switch off one of the ac units.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
If you own a Newell, it almost behooves you to take it to the factory for service. Their techs know the Newell coaches from A to Z and. I had an air leak in my 2008 Newell. I took it to a supposedly reputable high end coach repair facility. They worked on it for 12 + hours (at $135/hr) and couldn't quite find where the leaks were. I took it to Newell, the crew that worked on the coach suspension found the leaks and got them fixed in less than an hour and half. When I left their shop, they had done more fixes for around $3,500 than I could never have gotten done elsewhere.

I had installed a Glass Dash that had some issues. Again, their electronic experts fine tuned it in about two hours. They let me stay in my coach while it was in their shop. Overall, a great experience!
Agree, called them one time [24 hour tech hotline] and the service guy remembered my 95 coach, and told me some of it's history before helping me with my problem. Many of the service guys have been there 20+ years.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #39
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Agree, called them one time [24 hour tech hotline] and the service guy remembered my 95 coach, and told me some of it's history before helping me with my problem. Many of the service guys have been there 20+ years.
That is so very important. I'm having some electrical issues with my Signature, been to several shops, made several calls to people for help but can't find anything close by. frustrating, to say the least!
Old 02-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
srh, I'm interested in how/why you went from a Newell to a Signature?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 AM   #41

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Signature
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00153.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	235317  
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #42
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
srh, I'm interested in how/why you went from a Newell to a Signature?
Cost of ownership; mainly insurance, registration, complexity of the coach as a whole, among other things.

Best,

Tags
travel