Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #1

22.5 Tire Bead Leak

I have a strange problem. I bought new Michelin XRV tires 18 months ago and am having problems keeping the tires aired up (110 PSI). My asphalt driveway is at a slight uphill angle and when I park my 2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus on this uphill grade one of the corners will go flat or loose a majority overnight mostly the fronts. Not every time but enough to be tiresome. Also when I use the leveling system and let the coach down again one of the corners goes flat overnight and not noticed until I let the jacks down. Never the inside dual always the outer tire only on any corner. The tires hold air just fine on level ground weeks on end. I have Alcoa aluminum rims. I have called Tiffin and Michelin with no help to really strange problem. This has happend a dozen times or so. I have been to two Michelin dealers who have never heard of this problem and no answers. The old XRV tires always held air with no leaks ever. I inspected the rims on change out and they looked good with no corrosion or damage noticed.
RacingMGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #2

I just had this problem. The tire shop Tech check the tires even double the air pressure and still there were no leaks shown. After I convince them that this was a real problem they decided to take the tire off the rim and when they did so they found that there was a bad spot right at the bead that only if the tire was stopped in a certain position and sat for certain period of time would it been cause the air to be released I bought a new tire and everything was fine. In your case the the rim itself might be damaged that should be checked as well.
pplwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #3

Sounds like the tire has to be remounted. I agree it's and odd problem

Conceivably, there is a penetration (nail) that could allow a leak when lateral force is applied AND when the nail is at the bottom of the tire - similar to pulling the throat of an inflated balloon - sometimes it leaks, twist and it stops leaking.

Only other thing I could think is dust from balancing beads (if you use them) getting into the unfilter valve stem.

I'm surprised no one has suggested remounting the tire.

If you have air - next time it deflates, inflate without moving the vehicle and do the good old soapy water trick. Perhaps you'll find the bead/nail or valve stem bottom issue? If you can't find it - move forward 12" so you can get at that last bit of tire that was on the pavement. Good luck!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #4

Does your RV sit near a neighbor and block his view ?

Put a tiny line on a valve cap and leave it a bit loose with the line at 12:00. After the tire does down, see if the cap has been moved.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #5

Maybe a tire expert will chime in, I’ve heard if a tire goes flat it does something to sidewalls and ruins the tire.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:38 PM   #7

Possibly corrosion on the rim where the bead seats.
murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:58 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bead and rims must be checked for cleanliness. I installed hundreds of motorcycle tires. I always checked both and very rarely had leaks, maybe after months sitting, yes. Most times leaks are at the valve stem.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't offer advice on that! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #10

Aluminum rims can/will corrode at the bead and leak. Had this issue on a couple of cars. They usually break down the tire, wire wheel the bead and clean it up then install the tire with some sealer. My BMW was horrible for this problem (and other problems) and it would be intermittent so I had a hard time finding the issue. A good tire dealer should be able to advise you on this.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #11

Spray bottle with a little dawn soap and start spraying when you think in is going to leak. Also check the tread area for a nail with spray. Check around the bead area and around the valve stem. Check for a rub mark on the side wall.
Truckerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckerdave View Post
Spray bottle with a little dawn soap and start spraying when you think in is going to leak. Also check the tread area for a nail with spray. Check around the bead area and around the valve stem. Check for a rub mark on the side wall.
That is dawn soap and water.
Truckerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #13

You guys really believe that any one of 4 tires will randomly loose ALL of its air overnight, and only when parked in a particularly driveway ?

This vehicle has been checked by tire shops twice. A small bead or valve leak would give you a low reading, but not move from tire to tire or loose all of its air.

Someone is letting the air out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You guys really believe that any one of 4 tires will randomly loose ALL of its air overnight, and only when parked in a particularly driveway ?

This vehicle has been checked by tire shops twice. A small bead or valve leak would give you a low reading, but not move from tire to tire or loose all of its air.

Someone is letting the air out.
OMG - I read the first post too quickly and thought OP had a single tire problem!

You're correct - it's not an air issue - it's a neighbor issue!

Time to mark the valve caps and put out the camera!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak